After you have had a balcony have you ever gone back to an outside?

TanyaTravels

My first cruise was a balcony room, and I guess I got spoiled because I can't imagine cruising without a balcony. I love being able to look out at the ocean any time I want. I didn't spend a lot of time out on the balcony, but some of my best memories are of relaxing out on the balcony and enjoying the fresh air and scenery. I'm an all or nothing kind of girl--I'd rather save up for my ideal cruise than settle for less than what I want in order to save money.

If it really meant the difference between taking an extra cruise or not, then I guess I would go with the cheaper room, but the difference in price between the inside and balcony suites is not enough to pay for a separate cruise anyway (especially with airfare and all other expenses).

We have been on 5 cruises with one in the middle being in an outside instead of the Balcony. I hated it, it felt very closed in. I would rather wait an additional 6 months to get the outside space.

Not only do I want a balcony but I want an aft balcony which is Big and beautiful!! I love breakfast in my robe overlooking the ocean and my DH loves to read his book lying in a comfy lounge chair. We are super spoiled but I can't imagine cruising any other way.

Just me.:o

We've done inside, outside, and suites (we got upgraded from a balcony). The suite was nice but we're going back to an outside for this cruise. I don't think I want to do an inside again.

I'd rather spend the extra money somewhere else :)

No way you can't make me. Balconies rule. Our 1st balcony was a family cruise on the Disney Magic. Having the balcony was great b/c(well one reason) when we're getting ready for dinner, once you're done, go out there to get out of the way.

Let's say you like to tan and you don't feel like the crowds, boom balcony baby, and there you go.

Yes, we've "gone down" and love it! We had a mini-suite on Royal Princess, then several balcony rooms on HAL. Because they didn't have anymore balconies when we arranged our last cruise to AK, we took an outside and LOVED it! Have booked virtually the same room for another AK cruise THIS year! Reason? The bed is located below the window on the HAL outside rooms...we could just lift the curtain and watch what was going on outside! The room we booked is right near the stairway that goes up to the Promenade Deck, so we could easily run up the steps to be outside on either Port or Starboard to see what we were seeing outside. The room felt a little larger than the balcony rooms. For AK this was a fine choice since you usually want to be forward (Crows Nest) to see both side of the views at the same time, so didn't really want to be in your cabin. However, if in the warmer climates and want to be outside, the balcony still would be nice to have. Not a deal-breaker though. I'd rather go on more cruises and have the outside room than to keep spending more on balconies....my choice.

No matter what...your hubby will love it. Mine was skeptical at first and is now a confirmed cruiser!

Jan

We started out with a balcony. Loved it. Since then, however, I have cruised everything including a 1A with upper and lower with my 20 year old DD. I can honestly say I have enjoyed each and every cruise and I really don't care where I am.

I have found that the cabin booked does change the "feel" of each cruise. I felt that we spent a lot more time in our cabin when we had the balcony (partly to justify the cost). It was enjoyable to spend the quiet time with my husband. However, I felt we missed out on a lot of the entertainment and the excitement of just being on the ship. When we don't have a balcony we spend a lot more time mixing with other passengers and sitting on deck (which I really like).

All have been enjoyable, just a little different experience.

I usually get a balcony cabin or even a suite, but when I sailed on a Bermuda cruise it was on an older ship that just didn't have any balcony cabins.

I also booked a cruise after all of the balcony cabins were sold out, but went anyway.

I think a balcony matters less on a port intensive cruise like the Med. because you're on the go so much you don't use the balcony. We had a balcony on the last cruise and hardly used it.

I think it depends on how often you plan to cruise. Years ago (1984) my first cruise experience was a two day trip I won to the Bahamas with my pharmaceutical company. It was on the oldest Carnival ship in the fleet (we had an OV with a tiny porthole and bunk beds) and was such a dreadful experience I didn't cruise again until 1995. That trip was on one of the Renaissance cruise ships, very luxurious with only 100 cabins. Every room was a suite (no balcony) and we traveled from Athens to Rome. Fabulous but also fabulously expensive.

Finally in 2004 for spring break my husband, child and myself (they had never cruised) booked a Carnival cruise to the Western Caribbean. It was a monster ship so I decided to book a suite so we could get away from the crowds if necessary. It was a wonderful decision. We LOVED our big balcony, king size bed, sofa/single bed for our son and very spacious room with extra special butlery service.

My next one is a Baltic cruise with my best friend and we chose an ocean view so we could spend more on excursions (it almost killed me not to have a balcony.)

I think cruises are a wonderful way to travel especially in Europe. But if you do many different kinds of trips it may be worth the splurge on the cabin/balcony etc.

AA

My first cruise was on the Grand Princess last January. We had a balcony and enjoyed it. The second cruise was on NCL's Star. We had an obstructed view and it was always a worry that one of the workers would be able to see in the window. The next cruise was this past January, on the Jewel. We upgraded to a minisuite and thought it was fantastic. We had an aft cabin and it was awesome to go out on the balcony watch the water go by. Also, there are few "neighbors".

But, we have just booked a 7 day cruise on the Dream in October. We're going as a family and booked 3 cabins; 2 outside and 1 inside. We were able to be them together and since we are family, and needed to save a few $$, we booked the less expensive cabins.

Also, because of my preceived danger of fire or injury, IMHO balconies are more dangerous than the other cabins. So that may be of some consideration, too.

Has anyone gone back to an outside after having a balcony????

We had booked ocean view cabin on Enchantment, after having balcony twice on other ships. Much to our delight, my son got in touch with our TA/ friend, and surprised us with upgrade ti D1 balcony.last January. That sealed it, we'll never go back. Have a hump Jr. suite booked for next Jan, can't wait!

On our last cruise we were in a mini suite and previous to that we were in a balcony.

However on our next trip on the Century we are going back to an inside cabin. This is based solely on price alone. On this sailing even an outside was double the price of an inside.

We wanted to grab a bargain and when we first started cruising we had quite a few insides so I am sure we will get used to it again. They are actually better for sleeping in because you do not get natural light.

My advice to you is:

Just think of the rest of the ship as your balcony!;)

I am sure you will be fine and you can enjoy spending the money you have saved on excursions etc.

Lisa

i think it depends on each person and their priorities and budget. personally the way i look at it is that if the $600 pp would have meant that i couldnt go on the cruise, maybe i shouldnt go on the cruise to begin with. i'm going on the trip to have a fantastic time and feel pampered, and part of that is having a nice balcony to lounge on, and the big door to open. i love nibbling on room service snacks while i lounge on the balcony. is it indulgent? sure. but for me, thats what vacations are for...being a little indulgent. if i had to be in an inside cabin, it would put a damper on the whole cruise for me, and why go at all if i'm not happy with my surroundings. but again, thats just me. if youre the kind of person who doesnt put a lot of importance on your sleeping arrangement, then go for the inside and save the bucks. everyone has different ideas of what makes a vacation/cruise fun and has to make their plans based on those feelings. what makes a cruise great for me may be completely different from what makes a cruise great for a lot of other people. the most important thing is that you do what makes you comfortable. if you're not comfortable spending the money on the balcony room, you wont have a good time. same with if youre not comfortable being in an inside room...if you truly feel that way but book one anyway, you wont have a good time. it's a vacation, so do whatever will make you happy!!!

Our first cruise was one with a balcony, and especially on sea days I think it's important. You can lounge in the sun and watch the flying fishes, sometimes whales or dolphins, and even chat with your neighbors if you wish.

A short Caribbean cruise we took had only OV cabins available, and we felt crowded, closed-in and isolated. Back to a mini-suite for our long cruise, and I can't imagine spending weeks in a tiny OV or inside cabin.

Slinkie

I had an inside on my first cruise on Rccl Nordic Empress! The room was small and being that it was my first cruise it was okay!! My next three cruises i had a balcony cabin, I loved the balconies, but i Personally thought that they were a waste of money! I felt obligated to spend much time as possible since it was costing me a pretty penny! My last cruise March 05, 2006 on Carnival Destiny i had a 1A room with a porthole! and the room was very nice! My next cruise jan.07 on Carnival Liberty i Booked an 1A room with a window! Insides aren't all that bad it all depends on what cruise line you are sailing with, because some rooms are bigger than others! If money is not a problem with you, than by all means book a balcony!!!

Carnival Liberty 1-07

Carnival Destiny 3-06

Amtrak across America 2005

Voyager of the Seas 9-04

Norwegian Dawn 10-03

AOS 4-02

Nordic Empress 10-01

Hi friends,

Isn't this the question at the top of everybody's list. I've been outside and balcony. The outside was obstructed by lifeboats and the windows were distorted. The balcony just made me want to get out on deck and get going. I'm inside. The ship doesnt seem to roll as much and it is cheaper. I get my husband to by me the equivilent in jewelry. Hee Hee.

We have not gone back to an inside, but I'm sure that we could if we wanted a particular cruise badly enough and that is all that was left. We tend to book late in the game - within 8-9 weeks, max; once, it was only 3 weeks. Especially for a port-intensive itinerary, it might be okay. My first choice would be a balcony.

I think it really is a matter of lifestyle for a lot of people; if one likes to be out and about, enjoying the pools and one's fellow passengers, and generally don't want to spend time in the cabin, then an inside can be perfectly fine. We are a fairly shy couple, never use the pools, and enjoy quiet time by ourselves. Our last cruise included a lively family who were almost NEVER in their cabin. People don't necessarily want or need a balcony. Some would like to believe that they do, but a lot of folks don't care.

If money is not a problem with you, than by all means book a balcony!!!

I'm not sure it's all about the money. We were looking at some of the Penthouses and Owner's suites over the weekend and I just don't think I'd be all that happy in a space that large unless I had a lot of friends and family with me. Sure, they are very nice, but it's an awful lot of room for 2 people. A suite, mini-suite, etc with a balcony is a different story, but I can't see the "money no object" theory being enough to prompt some of us to book the biggest cabins on the ship. Maybe we're weird, but we like a happy medium...

For our first cruise we booked a balcony cabin and we are hooked. I loved waking up in the morning and being able to see the ship pull into port. I also loved relaxing on the balcony before dinner, as the ship was pulling out of port.

The best time for us to cruise is October/November so thankfully this is also when cruises (and balcony cabins) tend to be cheapest :D

Our family, my husband and I, and our 2 girls, 12 and 16, will be taking our very first cruise on 6/11/06 on Mariner of the Seas. :D We've booked a balcony stateroom with a pull out sofa. (I think it's called the Superior Oceanview) I would have been happy with an inside room, but we decided since we're sharing the cabin with the girls, the balcony might make the room feel a little larger.

Anyway, we're very excited about our trip, and counting down the days!

Lots of good info here, and I think I'm going to register for the Meet and Mingle.

Archived