So, We Tried RCI…

peanutzmom

1 hour ago, Rudyard said:

Considering how Carnival is pretty much OK with wearing what you want now (although they pretend otherwise), I'm wondering if we'll see them go to more of a Freestyle type of dining eventually. The only thing keeping them from that now is set time dining. I do recall from the one NCL cruise I took that they did have some sort of elegant night, but the main dress code stipulation was that you had to wear long trousers to one of the MDRs, but the other was still ok with shorts on that night. I seem to recall one specialty restaurant that also required something more along the lines of business casual but I can't recall if that was every night or just one night on the cruise. 

Shorts should be OK, especially chino shorts. Couple that with a button down or polo (something with a collar basically) and I don't see what the problem is. Makes no sense to crusade against shorts, well, excluding gym shorts/cut offs/swimwear etc, when people are still allowed in on elegant night with t-shirts and tank tops and such (as long as they wear pants). Doesn't make a lot of sense. Cruise/vacation casual (elegant optional) would at least be more consistent and more comfortable. It's hot in many locations, who wants to wear a hot jacket or suit? Heck, I wear shorts probably 90% of the year. Some may want to dress up and that's OK too, but personally, I'd rather see a consistent cruise/vacation causal policy everyday, than having anything goes most days and a half-arsed policy on elegant nights. It just causes confusion and ups the slob factor on non-elegant nights.    

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

To be clear the 15 drink limit isn’t only on Cheers. It’s 15 alcoholic drinks period. Whether you are paying for them or on Cheers. 
it appears RCL does not have a drink limit at all which I find interesting. (I haven’t sailed them yet). 

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

To be clear the 15 drink limit isn’t only on Cheers. It’s 15 alcoholic drinks period. Whether you are paying for them or on Cheers. 
it appears RCL does not have a drink limit at all which I find interesting. (I haven’t sailed them yet). 

Kinda sorta but not really, 15 individual drinks on cheers and possibly 15 individual drinks without, without though, you have many other options. Plus you can buy two bottles per cabin even with cheers. People claiming there isn't enough to satisfy them are being a bit dramatic; though I'll concede, package wise, unlimited is probably a better value to be sure but one isn't entirely limited on Carnival as many proclaim, only within the 15 individual drink confines of the cheers package. Context matters.      

Edited by cruisingguy007

56 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Kinda sorta but not really, 15 individual drinks on cheers and possibly 15 individual drinks without, without though, you have many other options. Plus you can buy two bottles per cabin even with cheers. People claiming there isn't enough to satisfy them are being a bit dramatic; though I'll concede, package wise, unlimited is probably a better value to be sure but one isn't entirely limited on Carnival as many proclaim, only within the 15 individual drink confines of the cheers package. Context matters.      

I agree. 
and good point. I was trying to point out that it isn’t a number to limit drinks on a drink package. It’s not a “money saving”

thing on their part. It’s an overall rule. But you are correct as well. 

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 1

Just now, 1kaper said:

I agree. 
and good point. I was trying to point out that it isn’t a number to limit drinks on a drink package. It’s an overall rule. But you are correct as well. 

Hope you didn't take it as a dig, I just said it because others who might not understand the crux of it all could misconstrue your intent. No harm meant.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rudyard said:

Considering how Carnival is pretty much OK with wearing what you want now (although they pretend otherwise), I'm wondering if we'll see them go to more of a Freestyle type of dining eventually. The only thing keeping them from that now is set time dining. I do recall from the one NCL cruise I took that they did have some sort of elegant night, but the main dress code stipulation was that you had to wear long trousers to one of the MDRs, but the other was still ok with shorts on that night. I seem to recall one specialty restaurant that also required something more along the lines of business casual but I can't recall if that was every night or just one night on the cruise. 

Regarding NCL, some of their ships require long pants in the Manhattan dining room, while you can wear shorts in the two smaller dining rooms.  Some of their ships have two specialty restaurants that require long pants, but Cagney's steakhouse is OK with shorts.  On Carnival you need to wear long pants in the steakhouse except for the first night because of the "my bags have not arrived excuse".  In general, NCL is the most laid back of the main stream lines.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1kaper said:

I agree. 
and good point. I was trying to point out that it isn’t a number to limit drinks on a drink package. It’s not a “money saving”

thing on their part. It’s an overall rule. But you are correct as well. 

Cuts down when cruisers are sharing😂

On 4/3/2022 at 9:35 PM, 1kaper said:

I was trying to point out that it isn’t a number to limit drinks on a drink package. It’s not a “money saving” thing on their part. It’s an overall rule. 

And a smart one.  Cutting people off at 15 sounds like a liability management decision more than anything else.

Who really needs a drink on average of once every waking hour during the day?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

And a smart one.  Cutting people off at 15 sounds like a liability management decision more than anything else.

And if they are driving a scooter, they could get a DWI well before 15 drinks. 🤣

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

That's what I assume it was. 

On 4/2/2022 at 4:44 PM, ray98 said:

I have been on each of the 3 mainstream lines multiple times and have had a great trip on each.  These comparisons generally get influenced by brand cheerleader more than anything else.  I don't know how the cruise lines get such rabid brand loyalty but they do.

At the end of the day the cruise lines are remarkably similar in their business model.  They all do some things a little better and worse than their competitors.  The other problem with direct comparisons is one variable no one factors in, the lines simply are not standardized across the brand no matter how much they try.  For example, I was recently on the MG and the Spirit a month apart and if you were blindfolded you would think it was two different lines because the experience was so different yet they are both Carnival.  

Hey now, you're being objective and rational. That's a dangerous combination on CC. I agree with you completely. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2022 at 7:27 AM, peanutzmom said:

One thing in particular is that all of their evening music venues are right on top of each other in the Promenade, many of them “open air” style, so if (for example) we were trying to listen to the piano bar at the Schooner Bar, it was drowned out by the live samba music at Bolero, etc.

I agree the Promenade has a lot going on at times but the Schooner Bar and Boleros are at two different ends of the Promenade and different levels (one upstairs and one downstairs).  I have not experienced the music from either venue being drowned out by the other.  There are two other music venues closer to Boleros than Schooner Bar, which can probably be heard in Boleros. 

On 3/29/2022 at 1:24 PM, peanutzmom said:

Perhaps that has changed due to COVID and/or short staffing, but it was not the case last week. It opened around 7am and closed at (I think) 10pm. The only thing open later was Sorrento’s and even that closed at either midnight or 1am (I can’t remember).

I have an upcoming cruise on the Allure.  The times listed in the app for Cafe Promenade is 6am to 2am. Sorrento's Pizza is opened to 2am as well.  There is no 24 hour dining option as you mentioned.  

I have done both and they both have pros and cons.  I actually liked the MDR better on RCL but missed the free other foods from Carnival.  Carnival had better pizza and mexican and do not even get me started on the difference in Guys and Johnny Rockets and Guys free!  I liked the stage productions better on Royal but comedians better on Carnival.  Overall both good and would do either. Think I need to try either an Oasis or the Mardis Gras to truly compare!