New Geiranger excursion available

SarahHben

For anyone who is going to Geiranger on Iona this summer and likes to do P&O organised excursions, I have just noticed that there’s a new excursion that wasn’t available when we last looked. It’s a 3 hour trip to Mount Dalsnibba stopping at a few view points on the way.

We did this trip a few years back which included a photo stop en-route for the view of the fjord. There was a stop by the lake before reaching the summit of Mount Dalsnibba, which some people decided to stay at due to the altitude, and a little free time there on the way back. 

I hope you don't mind hair-pin bends!

DSCF0128.jpg

DSCF0124.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We did this trip a few years back which included a photo stop en-route for the view of the fjord. There was a stop by the lake before reaching the summit of Mount Dalsnibba, which some people decided to stay at due to the altitude, and a little free time there on the way back. 

DSCF0128.jpg

DSCF0124.JPG

I’m not worried about the hair pin bends.

Would you recommend the trip?

Just now, Amyracecar said:

Thanks for the tip, I was looking at a similar private excursion just last week. It wasn't particularly cheap though so an official one might be worth looking at. 

The P&O one is £56 per person and 2 time options, 9:30am or 1pm. 

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

DSCF0128.jpg

DSCF0124.JPG

We took this trip too back in 2012. It’s a stunning place, very memorable. 

50 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

The P&O one is £56 per person and 2 time options, 9:30am or 1pm. 

The tours I'd seen were €65 and £58 so definitely competitive this time around. I think Norway must be the only place in the world where cruise ship tours aren't 3/4 times the price of doing it locally! A few other ones we booked were a bit more expensive but not hugely so. 

• Like 1

We did this tour in June, 4 years. Thick mist most of the morning tour, but still great on way ‘down’. By lunch time the mist had cleared, it was my birthday and my most awaited tour, so we jumped on the very easy to book local tour, for a fraction of the price. Went back up, better driver, more time. It really was stunning, still enough snow to highlight the landscape.  I’d do it again. 

I’d post photos, but CC each time, puts my photos upside down! (Even though they are correct orientation) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I called into Geiranger, we did a trip up to Mt Dalsnibba that we bought on the day at the local Tourist Office. It was about half the price of the one available from the ship but didn't stop apart from at the top. I'd highly recommend that but if you are on a large ship, probably better to book in advance online.

It was very foggy when we arrived at the top but after 5 or 10 minutes it cleared to give a wonderful view.

• Like 1

This was a fantastic trip.my wife and I did this whilst onboard azura 6 yrars ago. The weather was superb unbroken sunshine and 25 degrees.the views are incredible.sunbathing in the morning and snowball fight in the afternoon. Fantastic experience.my only advise on this trip would be to pick an afternoon tour if possible,gerainger is at the bottom of a fjord and because if it’s location it is surrounded by high/steep  mountains so when the sun does start to dip it’s soon behind a mountain leaving gerainger  in a cold dark shadow.

• Like 2

View at the top when we were there....misty and raining!!!

00-RdKCnfSFaDgQcyXqNDDQ3_hq8jOPdf6P2b1v786SOn2vb_nSZ2qp4kuQ3OXBN278?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1374954635

and as Tartanexile suggests, we booked the 'local tour' which is much cheaper then the cruise line one.

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

1 hour ago, sddsddean said:

00-RdKCnfSFaDgQcyXqNDDQ3_hq8jOPdf6P2b1v786SOn2vb_nSZ2qp4kuQ3OXBN278?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1374954635

and as Tartanexile suggests, we booked the 'local tour' which is much cheaper then the cruise line one.

Simon

Yes but it rains on the cheap one😁

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Simon

Does the cheap one just have two viewing stops as it suggests? The running time is at least an hour shorter than the others I've been looking at. (P&O and independent ones) Still undecided but leaning towards P&O. 

On my excursion a few years ago we stopped at the Djupvasshytta Hotel for coffee and cakes then up to the summit. Boy it was cold up there! 🥶 The Filipino crew members who came on the trip had lots of fun flinging themselves into the snow drifts, apparently they don't get a lot of snow in the Philippines.

EDIT - June 2012

GEIRANG SNOW.jpg

SNOW ROAD.jpg

HOTEL DAL.jpg

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 2