Voom questions

Has anyone used this to do a Binax test? I'm assuming you would need the Stream, but wanted to check.

Also, if you have Surf, do they (onboard) offer packages to upgrade to Stream? If so, does anyone know the approx cost?

TIA

57 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

If so, does anyone know the approx cost?

The upgrade from Surf to Stream is usually $5/day.

Yes, due to the video nature of the test, you'll probably want Stream and it should work.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2022 at 12:16 PM, Biker19 said:

The upgrade from Surf to Stream is usually $5/day.

Yes, due to the video nature of the test, you'll probably want Stream and it should work.

A couple of more questions please...

If you have, say, 2 devices on your package, is it still $5/day to upgrade or $10? Not talking about 2 packages - 1 package w/multiple devices.

Also, can you upgrade for just a day, or at least later in the cruise?

TIA

9 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Also, can you upgrade for just a day, or at least later in the cruise?

Not for a day, but for the remainder of voyage. The diff for a two device package is bound to be $6-8/ day extra. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2022 at 11:17 AM, alyssamma said:

Has anyone used this to do a Binax test? I'm assuming you would need the Stream, but wanted to check.

Also, if you have Surf, do they (onboard) offer packages to upgrade to Stream? If so, does anyone know the approx cost?

TIA

Why do you need it?  The reason I ask is that you can likely get an antigen test done on board the night before if needed.  I've seen reports of people doing side by sides for totally unrelated companies and being able to get a test done with the cruise they are on.

24 minutes ago, DeanD said:

Why do you need it?  The reason I ask is that you can likely get an antigen test done on board the night before if needed.  I've seen reports of people doing side by sides for totally unrelated companies and being able to get a test done with the cruise they are on.

Need for Antigen...is the RCCL test free?

And do they still do it? My understanding is that they stopped doing it onboard...

Edited by alyssamma

Just now, alyssamma said:

Need for Antigen...is the RCCL test free?

That is my understanding.  It has been for back to back and side to side and for people needing it for travel.  I've seen a couple of reports of people doing side to side but with totally different companies (like RCL to NCL) and it was allowed and free.

5 minutes ago, DeanD said:

That is my understanding.  It has been for back to back and side to side and for people needing it for travel.  I've seen a couple of reports of people doing side to side but with totally different companies (like RCL to NCL) and it was allowed and free.

Thanks...I can't find anything on this...all I see is they stopped doing it for free in Dec.

Have you seen reports of it happening in the last couple of months?

6 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Thanks...I can't find anything on this...all I see is they stopped doing it for free in Dec.

It's not an official function for side to side different companies but for back to back, side to side or return to home; it should not be a problem.  Just bring the proctored test with you just in case.  If you have a TA, ask them to help as well.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

I had mine on a Navi b2b in February, and on a Vision b2b on 3/17/22.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pcur said:

I had mine on a Navi b2b in February, and on a Vision b2b on 3/17/22.

Was it free? And did you get it because Royal required it for the second sailing?

I'm actually doing Symphony and then MSC Seashore...

You may be able to get one from Royal for free.  I'd discuss it with them when I boarded.  I'd also have my own, since my expectation would be that they will not do it for me.

BTW, you can afford multiple cruises nut you're trying to find a free test?  Seriously, pony up the dough.

4 hours ago, Cigar King said:

BTW, you can afford multiple cruises nut you're trying to find a free test?  Seriously, pony up the dough.

I don't really follow your logic. I have Binax Tests. If you look at the *original* post I was asking what level Vroom I needed to use them. Another poster suggested I can get one for free so the convo kind of morphed into that.

Not sure why I'd pay for a test when I have a bunch of free ones...that's just stupid. But then again, by not spending money unnecessarily maybe that's why I can afford 2 cruises 🙂

• Haha 1

From everything I've seen cruise lines only give you a free test now if you 1) are on a b2b or 2) on a s2s on the same line or 3) s2s on a sister brand. I've never seen someone able to get a free test when they're going on another cruise line. But maybe I missed that? 

45 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

From everything I've seen cruise lines only give you a free test now if you 1) are on a b2b or 2) on a s2s on the same line or 3) s2s on a sister brand. I've never seen someone able to get a free test when they're going on another cruise line. But maybe I missed that? 

This was my thinking too. LOL, really I just wanted to know if anyone has used Binax with Surf (not Stream) internet and the cost to upgrade from Surf to Stream (that was answered by @Biker19)

10 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

This was my thinking too. LOL, really I just wanted to know if anyone has used Binax with Surf (not Stream) internet and the cost to upgrade from Surf to Stream (that was answered by @Biker19)

Welcome to cruise critic! As far as I know you need stream to do videos. No video no proctored test. But I can't confirm as I'm too cheap to buy internet on cruise ships. I know when I've gotten it free on other lines the basic could not handle videos let alone a video chat. 

While I have seen reports of successful eMed test over Voom my concern would be a dropped session while waiting the 15 minutes.  Will eMed invalidate a test where they couldn't see the test card for the whole 15 minutes?  I'm not sure.  If they did do that, do you have a second test on hand as a backup?

We MAY have to do this on our Alaska cruise as we disembark in Vancouver and need it to reenter US.  I know about the alternatives (YVR tests...).  The Radiance at this time does not offer the onboard tests to return to USA.  So we have our emed tests that arrived this week.  We are waiting to see what the 5/13 sailing people do.  Also waiting to see if the borders opening up includes returning US citizens from vacations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Welcome to cruise critic! As far as I know you need stream to do videos. No video no proctored test. But I can't confirm as I'm too cheap to buy internet on cruise ships. I know when I've gotten it free on other lines the basic could not handle videos let alone a video chat. 

So, this is my thinking too...however the "video" is a tiny picture...not full blown streaming...so was wondering. Regardless, I will just upgrade to the streaming package once onboard (for the last couple of days).

2 hours ago, twangster said:

While I have seen reports of successful eMed test over Voom my concern would be a dropped session while waiting the 15 minutes.  Will eMed invalidate a test where they couldn't see the test card for the whole 15 minutes?  I'm not sure.  If they did do that, do you have a second test on hand as a backup?

They don't look at the card for the 15min. It is just a timer. They actually drop and then come back on in 15min. Everything has a QR code so they can tell it is the right test. It is also sealed so can't be (easily) tampered with.

20 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

They don't look at the card for the 15min. It is just a timer. They actually drop and then come back on in 15min. Everything has a QR code so they can tell it is the right test. It is also sealed so can't be (easily) tampered with.

this is true.  If you do decide to go this route with emed and Voom, can you come back and give an update?  We have the surf and stream as well.  We may try the port as well as we have good international plan through husband's business.

Just now, jean87510 said:

this is true.  If you do decide to go this route with emed and Voom, can you come back and give an update?  We have the surf and stream as well.  We may try the port as well as we have good international plan through husband's business.

Will definitely go this route...I will report back...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alyssamma said:

I don't really follow your logic. I have Binax Tests. If you look at the *original* post I was asking what level Vroom I needed to use them.

To be clear, you asked questions about the Binax tests.  You do not say that you have them.  If you did buy the tests then you're set.

25 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

To be clear, you asked questions about the Binax tests.  You do not say that you have them.  If you did buy the tests then you're set.

Exactly...that was my Q. I didn't think I needed to say I had them since that was kind of implied...otherwise why would I ask about using them? Regardless...still not "set" at all, hence my original Q about level of internet I need to use them.

Edited by alyssamma