Annual Travel Insurance?

suebee53

RX change can affect coverage if the new medication, dosage rate, or brand vs. generic causes an adverse response. Otherwise, you are correct that a stable condition is covered.

If you develop symptoms and seek treatment during the look-back period, it can affect your coverage.

A routine doctor’s visit with normal test results is not a problem, but anything that occurs in that look-back period is subject to scrutiny. Avoid any appointments, tests, or screenings during that period in case the results are not normal.

In the definition you provided, even an accidental injury that needs medical attention counts as a pre-existing condition. Seems to me your status could change at any time.

Pre-existing conditions waiver does not cost anything. You just have to buy the policy within a defined time window either at initial deposit or final payment depending on the policy.

Edited by Babr

1 hour ago, Babr said:

RX change can affect coverage if the new medication, dosage rate, or brand vs. generic causes an adverse response. Otherwise, you are correct that a stable condition is covered.

True, but the RX change still has to take place in the 60 day look back period.

1 hour ago, Babr said:

If you develop symptoms and seek treatment during the look-back period, it can affect your coverage.

Of course.  That was clear in the definition provided.  If your pre-existing condition is not stable during the short look-back period, this coverage is not appropriate, unless the buyer is willing to take that risk. 

1 hour ago, Babr said:

In the definition you provided, even an accidental injury that needs medical attention counts as a pre-existing condition. Seems to me your status could change at any time.

Again, if the accidental injury occurred during the look-back period, it would not be covered and this coverage would not be appropriate unless the buyer wished to take that risk.  I still disagree with your statement that status could change at any time. Any pre-existing condition exceptions have been defined at booking or deposit, and do not change.

2 hours ago, Babr said:

Pre-existing conditions waiver does not cost anything. You just have to buy the policy within a defined time window either at initial deposit or final payment depending on the policy.

In my case, it would.  You have stated, and are likely correct, that none of the credit card based policies cover pre-existing conditions. Because my conditions are stable, I am able to use my credit card coverage and not purchase trip cancellation at all.  

Imprecise language on my part caused the confusion. I should have said that any number of things occurring in the look-back period can trigger the pre-existing conditions exclusion and invalidate cancellation coverage. As long as the 60 days prior to booking is clear, then you’ll be fine.

Some things can be controlled during the look-back period, like scheduling appointments etc., but other things occur spontaneously like alarming new symptoms or an accident. In that case, your status can change at any time, making it difficult to be sure you’ll be clear to book the desired trip. If those new symptoms or recurring ill effects from an accident cause you to cancel later,  you won’t be covered.

I don’t know your situation nor am I asking, but I don’t know why you would have to pay extra for a pre-existing conditions waiver. No one else does. As long as you are insurable in the first place, it is simply a matter of timing in the purchase of a comprehensive travel protection policy.

We've had an annual policy with Allianz for many years.  $475 for 2/ 74 year olds.  We made claims twice.  Both were paid within a few weeks.  

However, as stated above, each state regulates insurance sold within that state so you have to read the fine print.  I purchase Allianz from their website.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, lakelorain said:

However, as stated above, each state regulates insurance sold within that state so you have to read the fine print.  I purchase Allianz from their website.

One site we looked at said they could not sell in Florida.  Allianz gave me a policy rate after I entered my home state, so I suppose that means that they serve Florida.

3 hours ago, Babr said:

I don’t know your situation nor am I asking, but I don’t know why you would have to pay extra for a pre-existing conditions waiver. No one else does. As long as you are insurable in the first place, it is simply a matter of timing in the purchase of a comprehensive travel protection policy.

I tried to explain that, but apparently I didn’t do it very well.  It’s an indirect savings for me.  Allow me try again. 

As I stated, I use my credit card for trip cancellation coverage. It excludes pre-existing conditions with an event in the 60 day period prior to booking or deposit.  As long as that 60 day period is clean, I am good to go with no costs.

However, if I did have a pre-existing event in the look-back period, I would have no coverage for that condition. Thus I would be forced to buy a trip cancellation policy or temporarily add it to my annual policy. Now I would have costs.

It’s a bit convoluted, but it works in my brain somehow.  I completely understand that in non credit card coverage, pre-existing coverage is tied to other factors, and is not an increase in cost.  

2 minutes ago, ridge4 said:

I tried to explain that, but apparently I didn’t do it very well.  It’s an indirect savings for me.  Allow me try again. 

As I stated, I use my credit card for trip cancellation coverage. It excludes pre-existing conditions with an event in the 60 day period prior to booking or deposit.  As long as that 60 day period is clean, I am good to go with no costs.

However, if I did have a pre-existing event in the look-back period, I would have no coverage for that condition. Thus I would be forced to buy a trip cancellation policy or temporarily add it to my annual policy. Now I would have costs.

It’s a bit convoluted, but it works in my brain somehow.  I completely understand that in non credit card coverage, pre-existing coverage is tied to other factors, and is not an increase in cost.  

Thank you for your gracious response. I just wanted to warn others who may not be familiar with credit card coverage that it does not work quite the same way as other kinds of coverage. Your reply summed it up quite well.

Chase Sapphire Reserve is a premium card considered to offer the best travel benefits. It does offer a limited window that allows penalty-free booking as long as that look-back period is clear. Not all cards do.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Babr said:

Thank you for your gracious response. I just wanted to warn others who may not be familiar with credit card coverage that it does not work quite the same way as other kinds of coverage. Your reply summed it up quite well.

Chase Sapphire Reserve is a premium card considered to offer the best travel benefits. It does offer a limited window that allows penalty-free booking as long as that look-back period is clear. Not all cards do.

We also use Chase Sapphire in large part due to the travel insurance benefit. We have been lucky thus far not to need it. One thing I have wondered about is whether only that part of a given trip is covered that was purchased with the card (so I assume that only the  cruise part of the “trip” would be covered if that was paid for with the Sapphire card but the flight was paid for with the Delta Amex); if my Sumption is correct, and I believe that it is, it leaves a hole for us in coverage often (and using the Delta card for the flights brings benefits we don’t wish to give up). It becomes confusing when the policies refer to “trip” as a whole however. I hate to duplicate coverage, but we made need to consider it at some point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ridge4 said:

The annual plans by Travel Insured offer a CFAR option. 

im shocked PA is excluded. i tried multiple times to get a quote but couldnt. then i searched help forum and it said. 

At this time, plan and benefit related information in our Help Center does not apply to:

• Travelers who purchased one of our plans before March 1, 2021; and
  • Residents of the following states: Missouri, Montana, New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington.

1 minute ago, luckyinpa said:

im shocked PA is excluded. i tried multiple times to get a quote but couldnt. then i searched help forum and it said. 

At this time, plan and benefit related information in our Help Center does not apply to:

• Travelers who purchased one of our plans before March 1, 2021; and
  • Residents of the following states: Missouri, Montana, New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington.

Well, drat!  Sorry to hear that.

25 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

We also use Chase Sapphire in large part due to the travel insurance benefit. We have been lucky thus far not to need it. One thing I have wondered about is whether only that part of a given trip is covered that was purchased with the card (so I assume that only the  cruise part of the “trip” would be covered if that was paid for with the Sapphire card but the flight was paid for with the Delta Amex); if my Sumption is correct, and I believe that it is, it leaves a hole for us in coverage often (and using the Delta card for the flights brings benefits we don’t wish to give up). It becomes confusing when the policies refer to “trip” as a whole however. I hate to duplicate coverage, but we made need to consider it at some point.

You might be covered on the Delta flights too. The “Guide to Benefits” says:

The Cardholder and Immediate Family Members are covered when the Cardholder’s name is embossed on an eligible Card issued in the United States, and the Cardholder charges all or a portion of a Trip to his or her Credit Card Account and/or Rewards programs associated with the Account.

I would give them a call and give them the scenario. 

Sorry to be off topic a bit, but do you prefer the Delta card for the accumulation of Delta points for reward flights?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ridge4 said:

You might be covered on the Delta flights too. The “Guide to Benefits” says:

The Cardholder and Immediate Family Members are covered when the Cardholder’s name is embossed on an eligible Card issued in the United States, and the Cardholder charges all or a portion of a Trip to his or her Credit Card Account and/or Rewards programs associated with the Account.

I would give them a call and give them the scenario. 

Sorry to be off topic a bit, but do you prefer the Delta card for the accumulation of Delta points for reward flights?

For some reason the flights we’ve had lately have been so high, it’s $1000 round-trip for two hours from Atlanta to Miami in mid April, so in addition to the ability to access the lounges (nice perk when stuck with an afternoon return flight from a cruise) and the free luggage perk (I always pack a lot) it also helps replenish our points to help cover the higher costs of late.

Thanks so much for the information, I had not researched it but it had just made the assumption the flight wouldn’t be covered. But since travel insurance is always referring a “trip” (not as separate components) I did wonder!

21 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

For some reason the flights we’ve had lately have been so high, it’s $1000 round-trip for two hours from Atlanta to Miami in mid April, so in addition to the ability to access the lounges (nice perk when stuck with an afternoon return flight from a cruise) and the free luggage perk (I always pack a lot) it also helps replenish our points to help cover the higher costs of late.

Thanks so much for the information, I had not researched it but it had just made the assumption the flight wouldn’t be covered. But since travel insurance is always referring a “trip” (not as separate components) I did wonder!

If you have a Sapphire card that allows transfer to travel partners, you can transfer them to Flying Blue and book Delta flights. Just in case you didn’t know, it’s another option. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ridge4 said:

If you have a Sapphire card that allows transfer to travel partners, you can transfer them to Flying Blue and book Delta flights. Just in case you didn’t know, it’s another option. 

I know it transfers to some carriers, although not straight to Delta (but there are bypasses as you mention). Thanks for reminding me about that!  

• Like 1

GeoBlue Trekker Essential provides medical only coverage including evacuation with a limit of 500,000.00.  For the two of us aged 61, 51 the policy is 249.00 for the year.  Booked it through Steve at the TripInsuranceStore.

11 hours ago, ridge4 said:

Well, drat!  Sorry to hear that.

i wrote to steve of tripinsurancestore and he told me no annual plans with cfar so i guess i'm out in the cold

wondering if you can buy annual health but then only cfar from someone.doubt it

Allianz annual policy.  Had it for years.  $220 per person.  Had two small medical events, but it was too much of a bother to file claims under $20 because you need to file first under your primary policy, get rejected, than file under Allianz.  It is good for any trip over 100 miles from home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

i wrote to steve of tripinsurancestore and he told me no annual plans with cfar so i guess i'm out in the cold

Why not?

Actually annual with CFAR is available, but you have to pay an additional premium for each trip based on the covered cost of that trip.  So not really annual in a single premium for the whole year.

On 3/29/2022 at 1:31 PM, Babr said:

It covers medical and evacuation when you are away from home during the policy period, but cancellation benefits are capped. Allianz allows you to choose the amount up to $15,000, I think -  haven’t looked lately. The point is that the amount is fairly low if you travel often. You could exhaust the entire amount with one claim and be left without any cancellation coverage for the remainder of the year.

The cancellation limits may vary by state.  I am on their site now, and the highest is $10,000 (MD resident).

And that is per year.  So if you think you are going to be cancelling a lot of trips, you would hit that limit. 

One thing I see is that the Med Evac level is fairly low at $250,000.   From personal experience, a Med Evac from Halifax to DC (less than 800 miles) was $29,000 in 2014.

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

The cancellation limits may vary by state.  I am on their site now, and the highest is $10,000 (MD resident).

And that is per year.  So if you think you are going to be cancelling a lot of trips, you would hit that limit. 

One thing I see is that the Med Evac level is fairly low at $250,000.   From personal experience, a Med Evac from Halifax to DC (less than 800 miles) was $29,000 in 2014.

Annual insurance is a cost effective way to get some additional medical coverage, but I don’t think it works well if you are traveling frequently on high-dollar trips. That is why many people pair it with credit card travel benefits; but, as we have seen,  credit card coverage still leaves gaps even with the premium cards. There is no CFAR and pre-existing conditions coverage depends on an incident free look-back period. The standard fee-based cards don’t cover pre-existing at all.

So cancellation coverage presents a bit of a problem.

To add to this conversation, for those that are retired US Military and who are covered by either TriCare or TriCare4Life, you should also become familiar with the coverage provided by TriCare.  You can find all the information at:  Tricare-overseas.com  From my understanding, there are instances where an overseas or shipboard provider can contact TriCare directly and receive authorization to provide needed medical attention.  You may, in some instances, have to pay for the service upfront and then file a claim with TriCare for reimbursement.  I would assume that if you also have travel insurance, any co-pay or other out of pocket expense not covered by TriCare could then be claimed with the travel insurance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

You can.  I got Geo Trekker Essentials for 249 for the two of us for the year with a half million coverage for all medical and evacuation.  There are CFAR policies that you can get that cover all of the other peripherals involved non-medically.  You just need to research it online.  Don't know if they are trip only or annual in nature.