Camera crew on Eurodam 20 March 2022 sailing

Orsino

There was a camera crew on N.S. the week before Christmas. We weren't ever told why they were there. It was as though we were supposed to pretend they were NOT there. 😄  They took a long time boarding, while the rest of us waited. Non of them ever made eye contact either. That whole thing was weird. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Orsino said:

Someone is recording footage on the Eurodam this sailing. I think I heard it was a UK show. Does anyone know what show this is and how one might go about seeing it? 

Are they shooting generic footage, or are there actors shooting scenes?  Maybe a clapperboard could be observed and get the name of the show?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Are they shooting generic footage, or are there actors shooting scenes?  Maybe a clapperboard could be observed and get the name of the show?

I think the cruise director said it was for a travel show. I think he said UK. Now that things are wrapping up on this cruise it occurred to me that I would eventually want to try and see whatever show this is. The problem is I don’t know what show. Oh well. 

• Like 1

If it was a UK travel show then it is unlikely to be broadcast before September, possibly even January 2023.  I will keep an eye on the schedules and if I find anything will post to let you know which TV station is showing it, then you can maybe trace it over there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ski ww said:

Just watched a show on Discovery or the History channel called Mighty Ships & it was about the Nieuw Statendam's cruise in the Caribbean. 

OOOH I'll have to look for that one.  The last I saw (for HAL) was the Koningsdam in season 3 traveling through Norway.

BTW - the series is MIGHTY CRUISE SHIPS and it's on Smithsonian Channel in the US.  (Not to be confused with Mighty Ships on Discovery which mostly looks at freighters)

Edited by VermeulT
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

There was a camera crew on N.S. the week before Christmas. We weren't ever told why they were there. It was as though we were supposed to pretend they were NOT there. 😄  They took a long time boarding, while the rest of us waited. Non of them ever made eye contact either. That whole thing was weird. 

I was there, too.  They told me they were filming for future tv commercials and brochures. It was a strange experience watching the show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pkpon said:

There is a show in the UK on Channel 5 called ‘Cruising With Susan Calman’.

A new series starts on Friday when she is on Regal Princess. It might be for that show.

What time is it being shown?

I think I can get Channel 5 through 'manual tuning' on my Sky box.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pkpon said:

There is a show in the UK on Channel 5 called ‘Cruising With Susan Calman’.

A new series starts on Friday when she is on Regal Princess. It might be for that show.

I was on this sailing, and this is exactly the show it was for.  A letter was sent to the rooms on the first day.  Plus they were on the same tour we did in Curaçao (though they were in a private vehicle).  It was cool to watch the drone footage at the aloe plantation being filmed.

• Like 1

My first experience with ANY cruising was on the Westerdam in December of 1996.  I was the music coordinator for a Twentieth Century Fox production called "Out To Sea", starring Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon.  We sailed from Fort Lauderdale on an itinerary that spent a week in the Caribbean.  We had shot most of the "interior" shots at the studio during the 10 weeks prior to the cruise, but needed to ensure the movie didn't look like an episode of Love Boat.   It was a great time for the cast and crew - short work days, a nice dinner every night, and a great time on Holland America.  And this just-prior-to-Christmas trip was not very crowded.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ChicagoDude said:

My first experience with ANY cruising was on the Westerdam in December of 1996.  I was the music coordinator for a Twentieth Century Fox production called "Out To Sea", starring Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon.

Didn't realise that was on Westerdam.  Sounds like a great Trivia question there!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Djb4CC said:

I was on this sailing, and this is exactly the show it was for.  A letter was sent to the rooms on the first day.  Plus they were on the same tour we did in Curaçao (though they were in a private vehicle).  It was cool to watch the drone footage at the aloe plantation being filmed.

Were you given the option *not* to be filmed if you preferred that?

(By the "first day" of the cruise, it's a bit late to decide, "Nope, I don't want any part of this!"  😠 )

I don't know UK laws, but were you asked to sign any releases to have any identifiable pictures of you shown elsewhere, commercially/publicly?

It would be really interesting to watch some of the production details.

GC

@GeezerCouple it actually was never an issue. Other then when host and her crew were around at our tour did we even see them. And I don’t think I was ever filmed. I know they were looking for people to play pickle ball for a segment, so maybe they had to sign something. I am not sure how much the show is about the ship vs the ports. When we briefly spoke with one of the producers at excursion stop they said the first two ports would be one 30 min show and the next two another show. Thought it would air in May or June. 

I was on that cruise too and the film crew was never an issue. The info we got in our cabin said you are welcome to tell the camera crew/producers you didn't want to be included in any shots. I saw the crew set up a shot on the aft pool deck and they didn't seem interested in any random passenger shots or interviews. The team probably helped lower the average passenger age by a couple years.

4 hours ago, Djb4CC said:

And I don’t think I was ever filmed.

Toward the end of the cruise someone clipped a camera to a rail above Tamarind pointed forward. We were in the cabanas at the time and wondered if that was going to be a shot for the show. I doubt you would be able to see us specifically, but we thought it would be neat to be able to point at the image of our cabana and say, we're in there somewhere. That's actually what stared this thread because we had lost track of the day one letter (and forgot that there was a letter at all). Hopefully the show will appear online sometime.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 4:11 PM, Orsino said:

Toward the end of the cruise someone clipped a camera to a rail above Tamarind pointed forward. We were in the cabanas at the time and wondered if that was going to be a shot for the show. I doubt you would be able to see us specifically, but we thought it would be neat to be able to point at the image of our cabana and say, we're in there somewhere. That's actually what stared this thread because we had lost track of the day one letter (and forgot that there was a letter at all). Hopefully the show will appear online sometime.

@Orsino, Susan is on Instagram as "Susan Calman", so, hopefully, we'll at least know when the Eurodam episodes air later this year! 🙂

• Like 1

I think one of the HAL episodes is up this Friday on UK Channel 5 at 8pm

We watched last weeks episode from RCI's Giant of the Seas (can't remember which one) in Rome and found the whole programme uninspiring. However at the end they gave a quick overview of next episode which showed a HAL ship at (I think) Grand Turk.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Djb4CC said:

For those who were on this sailing and those just interested, the show is on tonight.

Channel 5 UK are showing part 2 of the Eurodam cruise tonight at 8pm.  Part one was last week.

We watched it, but remember little about it.  Very little about the ship except for HMC (with Nieuw Statendam also off shore) and a long section on a pickle ball game 🙄