Category E Staterooms

patty1955

Why does everyone think that bigger is better?

We have been booking one of the four basically unobstructed view category E cabins.

They are 6030, 6033, 6046, and 6049.

In fact, we now have 8 cruises impacted by this change!

We don't consider category D an upgrade.  There is access to only one set of stairs/elevators. The cabin only has a porthole.  Yes, it does have a sofa, but not important to us. 

We like the sideways layout of cat E and consider deck 6 much more convenient than deck 3.

Yes, we have sailed in category D before.  It is nice there is little foot traffic on 3. No real reason to be down there, unless you are "living" there.

We would have much preferred to just stay in the cat. E cabin.  According to Oceania, not an option.

Some of our impacted bookings have already been reassigned on deck 3.  Some are listed as guarantee status.

At least we will still be sailing on an Oceania ship.  Right? Hopefully, that is, as some of our sailings are showing as sold out!

4 hours ago, shans said:

Some are listed as guarantee status.

At least we will still be sailing on an Oceania ship.  Right? Hopefully, that is, as some of our sailings are showing as sold out!

If you have a GTY you are on the ship

Enjoy

On 4/1/2022 at 9:38 AM, LHT28 said:

Not sure on the W/C  but some photos of the D cabin at the Preismans blog

https://www.thepreismans.com/china_japan_page3.htm

Thanks for the photos...I couldn't find a link to pictures of either D or E cabins on the Oceania Website for the Riviera. Guess they quickly removed the deck plans, too! The links only started at deck 5 when you try to look at deck plans/cabins.

56 minutes ago, PSR said:

Thanks for the photos...I couldn't find a link to pictures of either D or E cabins on the Oceania Website for the Riviera. Guess they quickly removed the deck plans, too! The links only started at deck 5 when you try to look at deck plans/cabins.

These cabins are not on Marina or Riviera - they are only on the 4 smaller ships.....Nautica, Insignia, Regatta and Sirena.

My guess is that they will replace the queen bed with a twin bed that will open up more floor space in the room

Oceania Cruises Regatta Cruise Ship | Ocean View Stateroom - E | Oceania Cruises

Edited by basor

2 hours ago, PSR said:

O class ship do not have D or E cabins

other cabin cat photos

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/

21 hours ago, LHT28 said:

O class ship do not have D or E cabins

other cabin cat photos

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/

Boy, am I confused! So where is cabin 3017 that the poster said she was moved to on the Riviera from an E cabin. Or is she on a smaller ship? I thought she mentioned Riviera. Thanks for explaining it!

Edited by PSR

4 minutes ago, PSR said:

Boy, am I confused! So where is cabin 3017 that the poster said she was moved to on the Riviera from an E cabin. Or is she on a smaller ship? I thought she mentioned Riviera. Thanks for explaining it!

She’s booked on Insignia. Check post #1.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PSR said:

Yes it can get confusing

She is  on an R class ship

The O class ships are Marina & Riviera  then next there will be the Vista an Allure Class ship

Similar but different 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2022 at 8:42 AM, shans said:

We have been booking one of the four basically unobstructed view category E cabins.

We don't consider category D an upgrade.  There is access to only one set of stairs/elevators. The cabin only has a porthole.  Yes, it does have a sofa, but not important to us. 

We like the sideways layout of cat E and consider deck 6 much more convenient than deck 3.

Yes, we have sailed in category D before.  It is nice there is little foot traffic on 3. No real reason to be down there, unless you are "living" there.

We would have much preferred to just stay in the cat. E cabin.  According to Oceania, not an option.

Some of our impacted bookings have already been reassigned on deck 3.  Some are listed as guarantee status.

I agree with you, shans. Our first three cruises were in either 6033 or 6030, and we absolutely loved the terrific midships location, the convenience of being one floor from the main dining room and also near the elevators plus the lovely large barely obstructed “picture window.” No way spouse, who requires sunlight, would cruise if he had one of those small porthole windows. He spends all his time when he is not sleeping, showering or changing clothes in the ship’s lovely public common areas, preferably outdoors.

In the interests of full disclosure, I report that in 2011 when Marina, the first “R” ship, debuted and we sailed on her that June, spouse fell in love with that class and switched his allegiance to Marina and Riviera due to the expanded dining options and larger bathrooms. 

Edited by CintiPam

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

In the interests of full disclosure, I report that in 2011 when Marina, the first “R” ship, debuted and we sailed on her that June, spouse fell in love with that class and switched his allegiance to Marina and Riviera due to the expanded dining options and larger bathrooms. 

Pam 

Marina is an "O class"  ship

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Pam 

Marina is an "O class"  ship

Lyn, thanks for catching my error.

My excuse is that I am starting my third week of a major reduction in sleep, a result of pain in upper back, shoulder and arm due to nerve impingement from degenerative disc disease.

Being in the USA, my first physical therapy appointment is not until next week!

18 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Lyn, thanks for catching my error.

My excuse is that I am starting my third week of a major reduction in sleep, a result of pain in upper back, shoulder and arm due to nerve impingement from degenerative disc disease.

Being in the USA, my first physical therapy appointment is not until next week!

Pam hope you feel better soon

That must be very painful 

I sympathize with you on the lack of sleep due to the pain

Hope the therapy  will bring some relief

Lyn

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CintiPam said:

I agree with you, shans. Our first three cruises were in either 6033 or 6030, and we absolutely loved the terrific midships location, the convenience of being one floor from the main dining room and also near the elevators plus the lovely large barely obstructed “picture window.” No way spouse, who requires sunlight, would cruise if he had one of those small porthole windows.

These cabins were often our cabins of choice on the R ships as well. I can understand Oceania business decision to reclassify E category for the solo  passengers. What I don’t understand is how they decided to take these cabins away from the customers who already booked their cruises, two years ago in some cases, and offer them accommodation in the category they would never book at the first place. Some of them happened to be very loyal Oceania customers. Not fair to these people in my opinion, although no one asked me whether it’s fair or not.

1 hour ago, osandomir said:

These cabins were often our cabins of choice on the R ships as well. I can understand Oceania business decision to reclassify E category for the solo  passengers. What I don’t understand is how they decided to take these cabins away from the customers who already booked their cruises, two years ago in some cases, and offer them accommodation in the category they would never book at the first place. Some of them happened to be very loyal Oceania customers. Not fair to these people in my opinion, although no one asked me whether it’s fair or not.

On 4/2/2022 at 5:42 AM, shans said:

Have either of you had your TA contact Oceania to let them know you are not happy with the D cabin?  Maybe you can get an upgrade to a C (if they are available).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, osandomir said:

Maybe O thought they were giving pax an upgrade to a larger cabin

Wonder if people would complain if in a A OR B cabin and got bumped to a PH  LOL

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2022 at 9:36 AM, LHT28 said:

Maybe O thought they were giving pax an upgrade to a larger cabin

Wonder if people would complain if in a A OR B cabin and got bumped to a PH  LOL

You might not think it was a laughing matter if you booked a specific cabin on 8 different sailings almost 2 years ahead of time only to find out a year later they suddenly won't let you occupy it.  But they will let a single person have it.  It's very frustrating. 

1 hour ago, shans said:

You might not think it was a laughing matter if you booked a specific cabin on 8 different sailings almost 2 years ahead of time only to find out a year later they suddenly won't let you occupy it.  But they will let a single person have it.  It's very frustrating. 

It just is strange that people get a move to a larger cabin  at no extra cost would get so upset

143 Sq ft compared to a 165 sq ft  is a better deal IMO

YMMV

As one affected by this change, I see two issues: one, choice. We chose our original cabin and we are being reassigned without having the option of accepting the change or staying with our original booking. And two, bigger is not necessarily deemed to be better by everyone. For some, location is more important than square footage.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

It just is strange that people get a move to a larger cabin  at no extra cost would get so upset

143 Sq ft compared to a 165 sq ft  is a better deal IMO

YMMV

Wouldn’t you be upset if your carefully chosen cabin will be taken away and you will be moved to accommodation under the theater or the gym as an example. In the past when Oceania needed someone’s cabin they offered booked passengers a lot of incentives to move on better than the accommodation on the lower deck. Maybe a good deal in your opinion as well as in Oceania’s point of view not the best for others. I agree it’s not funny at all.

39 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Wouldn’t you be upset if your carefully chosen cabin will be taken away and you will be moved to accommodation under the theater or the gym as an example. In the past when Oceania needed someone’s cabin they offered booked passengers a lot of incentives to move on better than the accommodation on the lower deck. Maybe a good deal in your opinion as well as in Oceania’s point of view not the best for others. I agree it’s not funny at all.

I agree  they should have asked  pax if they would like to move

They could block off the E cabins  that are not booked  for solo bookings  then

Their  company their rules