Passing the Statue of Liberty

chrislo

We will be on Carnival Magic June 28th out of NY and I am trying to plan dinner for the 1st night of our cruise.  Does anyone have a rough idea of when we might pass the Statue of Liberty as we sail out?  

Thanks

20 minutes ago, chrislo said:

We will be on Carnival Magic June 28th out of NY and I am trying to plan dinner for the 1st night of our cruise.  Does anyone have a rough idea of when we might pass the Statue of Liberty as we sail out?

It's usually about 30ish minutes after departure from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. There is no exact science here-- the ship could depart late, there could be substantial traffic in the channel, etc. 

The statue comes into view for quite some time once you get towards the Battery and you do pass at a reasonable distance. 

If your ship departs 4-5pm I would say you'd be safe to schedule a 7pm dinner and be able to leisurely watch the statue and sail under the Verrazano Narrows (which frankly I think is more impressive) and have plenty of time to get ready before. 

But like I said-- there are a ton of variables that can get in the way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

It's usually about 30ish minutes after departure from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. There is no exact science here-- the ship could depart late, there could be substantial traffic in the channel, etc. 

The statue comes into view for quite some time once you get towards the Battery and you do pass at a reasonable distance. 

If your ship departs 4-5pm I would say you'd be safe to schedule a 7pm dinner and be able to leisurely watch the statue and sail under the Verrazano Narrows (which frankly I think is more impressive) and have plenty of time to get ready before. 

But like I said-- there are a ton of variables that can get in the way. 

From my experience, I agree with what this poster has written.  My memory is that the time from Piers 88/90/92--and even when HAL sailed from Pier 40--was closer to 45 minutes.  OP, I'd plan on a later dinner in order for you to be most likely to be able to be on deck to view the Statue and the experience of sailing under the Bridge.  

4 hours ago, legalcanuckmom said:

Hello!  Does anyone know if port or starboard on a south bound cruise will have the best view when departing NYC?

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

starboard side

11 minutes ago, mskaufman said:

Really both sides.  One side will face Manhattan on the way out but the other side for the Statue of Liberty.  Opposite on the way back.

You're assuming the poster is cruising from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal...

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is also in NY City and while Cape Liberty is in New Jersey, it is part of the Port of New York so some also refer to it as being in NYC.

• Like 1

The best place to be for sightseeing is on an open deck at the front of the vessel.  One can see both sides of the river as well as the approaching Bridge and watch how close the top of the ship's mast appears to be in relation to the bottom the Bridge.  

• Like 1