Watercolor Class on QM2

chatdad

I was also on a Crossing in 2018 (Sept.) and took the water color classes. The instructor was Moira Hahn I think. She was excellent and, like your wife, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We are booked on the May 8th WB Crossing and hope classes have resumed. 

Jack

1 hour ago, techteach said:

Are the classes for beginners or do they accommodate people with experience. I will be well behaved. 🙂

I was contemplating trying them (I haven't drawn since primary school) - but someone posted some pics that people had done on a social media group. I'm totally not  doing it now - you will be fine 

9 hours ago, techteach said:

Are the classes for beginners or do they accommodate people with experience. I will be well behaved. 🙂

I've done a few over the years. All levels are catered for.

Also, if you have your own materials, you don't have to pay for the set on offer which is $35 if I remember correctly.

9 hours ago, lissie said:

I was contemplating trying them (I haven't drawn since primary school) - but someone posted some pics that people had done on a social media group. I'm totally not  doing it now - you will be fine 

My wife's skill level was rank amateur (as she regularly stated) but she enjoyed the classes and attended them on several cruises.

Let me point out that the classes are either 5 or 6 days long, When I took the classes back a 2018 Crossing, about 1/3 of the people who came the first day were under the impression that these were just 1-day classes. There were morning classes and afternoon classes which were identical. We had the option of going to either class each day. The format that we had was the first half hour was devoted to instruction at the beginner level. Then we were given an assignment to work on individually for about a half hour. During that time the instructor came around and worked with each student individually based on their skill level. The final half hour of the class was review and then we were given an assignment to work on before the next class. I can honestly say that I was the worst student in the class, operating at about a kindergarten level. The highest level student was very accomplished. The instructor was brilliant at working with each student at their own level. On the last full sea day there was an art show, open to the public, where each student selected which of their works they wanted to display. It was a wonderful experience.

I suspect the classes/format will vary with instructor.

Jack

• Like 1

@Jack E Dawson Thank you for so much information about the class. I’m thinking about the amount of time it takes to prepare cold pressed paper before you can use it and taping it down etc. Has all of that been done ahead of time for you? Or, do they use hot pressed paper to avoid all of that? Now I’m wondering if I should take my own pencils and eraser. Sponges?

Not wanting to put the cart before the horse since we don't know for sure yet if they are currently offering the watercolor classes. But I remembered we've had previous discussions about those classes including specifics about the kits available for purchase back then.

Here are a couple of those earlier threads which provide plenty of details. Spoiler alert! I hope he doesn't mind, but the first thread shows off some of  @Jack E Dawson's work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here are a couple of those earlier threads which provide plenty of details. Spoiler alert! I hope he doesn't mind, but the first thread shows off some of  @Jack E Dawson's work.

OK, so you can see I was not exaggerating about my skill level. 

bluemarble is right, we are putting the cart before the horse. My guess would be that they currently are not offering the watercolor art classes. I will be onboard May 8th and will make it a point to report back.

To answer your question tech teach, the $35 material kit that you purchase onboard provided everything needed for the class including paper. In the process of purchasing more supplies, after retiring home, I have discovered that the art kit actually contained very good quality brushes and paper.  

• Like 1

I was on the 17.3 -20.3.22 QM2 Cruise from Hamburg to Southampton and was joining the watercolourclass twice.

The set for 35 Dollar was that from Winsor and Newton, a think a good value for the money!

The teacher was really good for all levels.IMG_5828.thumb.jpeg.c07cfcde3e06519d047747833862fa14.jpeg

IMG_5954.jpeg

• Like 3

Update:  Heard back from Cunard on their social media page and they (after a bit of prodding) confirmed that they will be offering the class again on our April sailing (same 20 pounds charge for the kit).  Wife is excited.   While she paints to her hearts content (and she's better than she thinks based on our grandkids critique of her work), I'll find content hitting golf balls into the little net up on deck (weather permitting) or listening to a lecture.  Happy days.  

• Thanks 1