19 year old and beverage package ?

gotscrapz

Hi, I am hoping so I've can help with this question, NCL directly has given different answers to  this question . I don't not have a PVP but going to ask for one when I find so I've helpful.

I accepted the beverage promo and paid gratuities on the included basic alcohol package. I will sign the waiver allowing my 19 year old daughter to have wine (or beer but she won't drink that). 
I wanted to also pay her gratuities for her package as she is the 2nd passenger but that it would be an increased rate, I was supposed to be emailed the rate once the rep found the information. Never received it. 

called back, was told she won't receive the package (which annoys me since it allows for the 1st 2 passengers) and only pay gratuities but that I need to purchase an entire new package for her plus gratuities and the price would be determined on board.

called back about something else and decided to ask again. She will not be eligible for any packages and we can buy her drinks full price in Board. can I do that! Of course, and we are talking maybe $100 for the glass at dinners and maybe a Mimosas or two, she isn't going to drink much. But I feel her drinks should be included, she is of age in her country and technically tge package is included and she is able to drink legally at 19 on board.

What I think is irrelevant, I just want the true answer to the question lol. 

Anyone experience this?

Thank you!

Tara 

33 minutes ago, gotscrapz said:

Hi, I am hoping so I've can help with this question, NCL directly has given different answers to  this question . I don't not have a PVP but going to ask for one when I find so I've helpful.

I accepted the beverage promo and paid gratuities on the included basic alcohol package. I will sign the waiver allowing my 19 year old daughter to have wine (or beer but she won't drink that). 
I wanted to also pay her gratuities for her package as she is the 2nd passenger but that it would be an increased rate, I was supposed to be emailed the rate once the rep found the information. Never received it. 

called back, was told she won't receive the package (which annoys me since it allows for the 1st 2 passengers) and only pay gratuities but that I need to purchase an entire new package for her plus gratuities and the price would be determined on board.

called back about something else and decided to ask again. She will not be eligible for any packages and we can buy her drinks full price in Board. can I do that! Of course, and we are talking maybe $100 for the glass at dinners and maybe a Mimosas or two, she isn't going to drink much. But I feel her drinks should be included, she is of age in her country and technically tge package is included and she is able to drink legally at 19 on board.

Anyone experience this?

Thank you!

Tara 

NCL's rules are very clear. your 19 year old isn't eligible for the Premium Beverage Package and as Guest #2 will receive a soda package instead.

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Premium Beverage Package (Open Bar)
Premium Beverage Package is applicable to all qualified sailings excluding Pride of America.
Applicable to guests 1-8 on the reservation. If 3-8 guest is under 21 years of age, Premium Beverage package does not apply and soda package will not be given as a substitution.
Guest 1-2 must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Premium Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

Switch your booking to MSC, I think their drinking limit is 18? NCL follows USA laws which is 21.

Onboard the drinking age is different. I don't want to change my cruise nor did I ask about that. I don't understand the rudeness, but the responses are noted. 

52 minutes ago, gotscrapz said:

Anyone experience this?

Thank you!

Tara 

I guess I passed the edit time to ask more specifically what I wanted to ask. I no longer need help,  but of course feel free to be helpful or bash away. 
Have  a great night. 

We will also  have a 19 year old in our December cruise group, he is in a room with his brother for the trip( well technically his father).  He is not eligible for the alcohol package, but is being given the soda package,   but he can drink beer and wine when his parents sign a form for that.  It is frustrating, but he can also drink on the islands as they are 18 yrs old rule...  He doesn't want to drink much maybe a beer here and there or a glass at dinner of wine.  But he will have OBC for that.
Sorry you felt bashed,  I do understand what you are asking,  and hope you still have a great cruise. 

I agree with what you are saying, we had a 19 in a cabin with one parent, a 20 year old in the other. It would make sense to give them corks and caps for free (just paying the gratuity), but they had the soda package and had to purchase beer and wine.

7 hours ago, Trimone said:

Just go up to the Bar and order drinks are your card….

and when you're caught sharing the drink package, especially with a minor (NCL considers under 21 a 'minor' for drinks purposes on US sailings), it will be cancelled.

Sorry for some of the responses.  If you give permission your young adult will be able to buy beer and wine, but will only get the soda package as the perk.  The alcohol must be purchased by the drink.  We had the same issue with our then 19 year old son a few years ago.  Cost us a fortune.  One night he bought twelve beers.  Said he was buying them for his friends.  We stopped that pretty quickly.  😂

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, hallux said:

and when you're caught sharing the drink package, especially with a minor (NCL considers under 21 a 'minor' for drinks purposes on US sailings), it will be cancelled.

I believe parents can sign a form to allow 18 year olds to drink alcohol, 21 doesn’t apply to European cruises 

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

I believe parents can sign a form to allow 18 year olds to drink alcohol, 21 doesn’t apply to European cruises 

That still doesn't solve the problem of sharing the drink package, and the initial 'look' of doing so with a minor (even if the waiver is signed)...

Right now NCL doesn't have a maximum number of drinks per day, just per trip to the bar.  The more people try to encourage this behavior, the more likely they decide to implement a maximum drinks per day...

Edited by hallux

4 hours ago, Trimone said:

The parental permission only lets the 18 to 20 year-olds to drink beer and wine . The age 21 requirement is only waived for European and Australian cruises for the consumption of beer and wine. 

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-minimum-age-purchase-andor-consumption-alcoholic-beverages

What is the minimum age for purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages?
Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European and Australian voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Cruisers do not learn how to drink on a cruise with the package.  They just abuse it on a cruise.  And then what happens to the young adults after the cruise regarding beer and wine.  Are the rules still the same at home with a verbal consent from a parent?  I do not know the laws in Nevada?

Cheers🍻

6 hours ago, hallux said:

That still doesn't solve the problem of sharing the drink package, and the initial 'look' of doing so with a minor (even if the waiver is signed)...

Right now NCL doesn't have a maximum number of drinks per day, just per trip to the bar.  The more people try to encourage this behavior, the more likely they decide to implement a maximum drinks per day...

I’m sorry but ever cruise We’ve been on we have been in a round, ordering 6-8 drinks regularly at one time, no bar personal minds it’s the usual. 
In any case do you think NCL would ever drop the package? It makes them too much money…

1 hour ago, jskinsd said:

Cruisers do not learn how to drink on a cruise with the package.  They just abuse it on a cruise.  And then what happens to the young adults after the cruise regarding beer and wine.  Are the rules still the same at home with a verbal consent from a parent?  I do not know the laws in Nevada?

Cheers🍻

This forum can't even sensibly discuss how tipping works, or deck chair usage. The pros and cons of young people consuming alcohol is way beyond the debating abilities on here. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Cheers🍻

Right, because my 19 and 20 year olds never drank beer or wine until our cruise. Seriously, they were college students, a week with mom and dad was detox since they were responsible for paying for their beer and wine. It is legal where I live to allow underaged “children” to consume alcohol at home with prenatal permission.

On 4/1/2022 at 3:46 PM, MSUjohn said:

i thought... this being from my observations being aboard cruises, being 16 to 20 on a cruise ship would kinda suck.

Actually they love cruising,  they have a great time and are counting the days till we go in December.   They interact with other kids their age and have made friends from past cruises that they remain on FB with  to this day and that was 3 years ago.  So for the most part they have a good time and enjoy it.