Royal Covid test refund policy ends 4-30

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

There is no correlation between anyone who comes in with a "broken ankle" or a "heart attack", etc and those who come in for potential COVID infection. COVID diagnosis is separate from other diagnosis.

But a person who has no symptoms and has no other medical issue that would require a visit to the emergency room or even to their GP would be highly unlikely to get tested at all. Everyone, however, who goes to an emergency room for treatment of whatever they need fixed will get tested, and if they coincidentally test positive they will be added to both the hospitalization and case totals. 

2 minutes ago, topnole said:

Wrong.  My original post said by the false positive %s which is a figure.  I didn’t say anything about percentages other than in that context (it is a known statistic).  So say it is .01%.  

It's a known statistic? Then what is that known statistic? It doesn't seem like you know what it is because your next sentence says "So say it is..." as if you are making an assumption? I want to know what the true number is. You did make the claim of false positive percentages without providing the actual percentage. Look, I am not a fan of the testing either because I believe we have reached the point where Covid infections are inevitable going forward but, much like the flu, if you are vaccinated, your chances of a serious infection are greatly minimized. Many people sail while they have a cold and very few of them are denied boarding. My point, however, is if you are going to speak about false positives percentages, then provide those percentages. Otherwise, you're merely speculating that false positives happen with enough frequency to impact a significant number of people and their vacations.

• Like 1

I like the cruise line's CWC policy.  Regular travel insurance is a bigger pain to file a claim with.  If I have use it to cover Covid testing failure, I am traveling a different way that does not call for prepayments in full and lose it all if something happens.  That CWC makes the cruiselines more in line with other vacation options.

2 minutes ago, Scottee25 said:

It's a known statistic? Then what is that known statistic? It doesn't seem like you know what it is because your next sentence says "So say it is..." as if you are making an assumption? I want to know what the true number is. You did make the claim of false positive percentages without providing the actual percentage. Look, I am not a fan of the testing either because I believe we have reached the point where Covid infections are inevitable going forward but, much like the flu, if you are vaccinated, your chances of a serious infection are greatly minimized. Many people sail while they have a cold and very few of them are denied boarding. My point, however, is if you are going to speak about false positives percentages, then provide those percentages. Otherwise, you're merely speculating that false positives happen with enough frequency to impact a significant number of people and their vacations.

They vary by test type and brand.  They do happen.  This isn’t in doubt.  Do you understand statistics and scientific testing?

Edited by topnole

Just now, topnole said:

They vary by test type and brand.  They do happen.  This isn’t in doubt.  Do you understand statistics and scientific testing?

I am not disputing that they happen. My question is simply, what is the percentage of false positives? You say it's significant, and it very well may be. But you have not provided an actual number other than one that appears to be an assumption on your part of .01%. 

8 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

I like the cruise line's CWC policy.  Regular travel insurance is a bigger pain to file a claim with.  If I have use it to cover Covid testing failure, I am traveling a different way that does not call for prepayments in full and lose it all if something happens.  That CWC makes the cruiselines more in line with other vacation options.

Travel insurance that covers Covid is much more expensive than standard travel insurance. That can make it cost prohibitive depending on the cruise. Both of my cruises on RCI are NF but I will bite the bullet and lose my deposits versus possibly losing much more if I’m turned away from boarding. 

7 minutes ago, Scottee25 said:

I am not disputing that they happen. My question is simply, what is the percentage of false positives? You say it's significant, and it very well may be. But you have not provided an actual number other than one that appears to be an assumption on your part of .01%. 

I didn’t say the %s are significant.  I’m not assuming any %.  It was a hypothetical example, but I bet I’m in the general ballpark.  I’ve read some studies suggesting.05% and others higher.  I don’t know them off the top of my head.  Again, depends on the test.  

Either way, when they get back to full capacity the number of false positives will go up.  So some folks will be SOL just based on that.  If it is 50-100 people a week, that to me would be significant.  

Molly361 post on #19 explains the scenario for PRE cruise testing.  OP used the April 30, 2022 date as the end of cruise refunds if you test positive pre cruise.  This is incorrect of the OP.  The April 30th date is for the situation if you test positive DURING the cruise.  I think this is fair.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Travel insurance that covers Covid is much more expensive than standard travel insurance. That can make it cost prohibitive depending on the cruise. Both of my cruises on RCI are NF but I will bite the bullet and lose my deposits versus possibly losing much more if I’m turned away from boarding. 

You’ll be happy to know that insurance covering COVID does not cost more than “standard insurance.” Many companies sell comprehensive travel protection plans that treat COVID as any other illness. In order to file a claim, you need a doctor’s diagnosis and advice not to travel - not just a positive test.

Perhaps you are thinking of Allianz or some annual plans that require an endorsement.

1 minute ago, latebuyer said:

I’m confused. Did people not see the policy that 2 people posted? Not sure what people are complaining about although i would agree its unfortunate cruise with confidence wasn’t extended.

I started this thread. The policy others posted wasn’t even posted on the royal website until after I started a thread.  royal officially posted the update in between this thread beginning and now. Hence the confusion early on in the thread

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

Molly361 post on #19 explains the scenario for PRE cruise testing.  OP used the April 30, 2022 date as the end of cruise refunds if you test positive pre cruise.  This is incorrect of the OP.  The April 30th date is for the situation if you test positive DURING the cruise.  I think this is fair.  

No. I was not incorrect when I posted it. They literally just updated this on the website. So we were both correct at the time we posted.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, topnole said:

No. I was not incorrect when I posted it. They literally just updated this on the website. So we were both correct at the time we posted.  

I agree and saw the same thing as you earlier. The website was updated to reflect the new date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just asked the GF about this.  Her response…

”We test for COVID to protect staff and anyone else admitted to our Emergency Room. We have different treatment protocols for those who have COVID.  If you have COVID, that’s a fact.  Just like it’s a fact you have a broken limb and you come in.  If you have both, we note that.  We can not like on the admission sheet and not list COVID if you’ve tested positive, no more than we can lie on the admission sheet if you come in with a broken leg.  We would also list the broken leg on the admission sheet.”

I made her talk slowly so I could quote her verbatim.  LOL!

WHich is why you can't rely on hospitalization statistics since so many people "have" covid but are seeking medical treatment for something totally unrelated.

Just now, smokeybandit said:

WHich is why you can't rely on hospitalization statistics since so many people "have" covid but are seeking medical treatment for something totally unrelated.

That’s like saying someone came to the emergency room to be treated for COVID, but in the process they found out they have a broken leg.  They still had COVID, but also had to be treated for a broken leg they didn’t realize they had.  Still doesn’t change the fact that they are infected, regardless of any other maladies they need to have treated.  

• Like 1

Just now, graphicguy said:

That’s like saying someone came to the emergency room to be treated for COVID, but in the process they found out they have a broken leg.  They still had COVID, but also had to be treated for a broken leg they didn’t realize they had.  Still doesn’t change the fact that they are infected, regardless of any other maladies they need to have treated.  

Just because they have covid doesn't mean they are treated for covid or even have symptoms of covid. There are many of us on this board that once had covid but didn't know it. There are many people that had their cruise canceled because they had covid and otherwise never would have known it.

• Like 1

Just now, smokeybandit said:

Just because they have covid doesn't mean they are treated for covid or even have symptoms of covid. There are many of us on this board that once had covid but didn't know it. There are many people that had their cruise canceled because they had covid and otherwise never would have known it.

Still doesn’t change the fact that whether you know it or not, if you test positive, for COVID, the fact is, you contracted COVID.

Regardless of how you found out, none of that changes the facts.

I’m tired of typing her words……(these are the GF’s)….

Anyone who has tested positive for COVID while being treated for any other reason, will also be treated for COVID.  Doesn’t matter if you’ve been hit by a bus, you’ll be tested for COVID and treated for the bus injuries and COVID.  This protects the patient, those who are in close proximity to the patient, and anyone who encounters the patient upon discharge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Which is exactly why i asked the question i originally asked, because the answer colors the interpretation of the data.

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

Quick question: as a front line person, what % of the cases you are seeing are people who presented with Covid symptoms, and what % are people who are seeking medical treatment for some other problem (i.e. broken ankle) that are tested prior to treatment and test positive.

I'm in private practice, so these are patients who are testing positive for Covid because they are symptomatic.  They aren't patients who are seeking other medical attention and are testing prior to treatment.  

• Thanks 1