Day Pass at Beach Resort in Mykonos

biksgirl

hello, my family of 4 (including teens aged 15 and 17) will be in Mykonos on July 24, 2022 (DH's bday) and wondered if anyone has recently gone to a beach resort with a day pass?  

I read about Saint John hotel but I don't see anything about a day pass on their website. 

well I emailed Saint John Hotel and was told they do have day passes, at 100Euro each, includes transportation to/from the port and breakfast and lunch.  

Anyone have any other recommendations...hopefully cheaper?

• 1 month later...

Isn't it difficult to get transport to a beach?  When we were there a few years ago, there were very few if any, taxis available and the queue for the long bus was a fiasco. We gave up

On 4/1/2022 at 10:27 PM, biksgirl said:

hello, my family of 4 (including teens aged 15 and 17) will be in Mykonos on July 24, 2022 (DH's bday) and wondered if anyone has recently gone to a beach resort with a day pass?  

I read about Saint John hotel but I don't see anything about a day pass on their website. 

Any luck?  I am tempted to go to St. John but unfortunately our ship does not get to port until 12 noon.  I asked the hotel if they could offer us lunch and afternoon snack since we are missing breakfast and they said they could not.  Seems expensive for just lunch at the resort.  Any other ideas you came up with?  Thanks!

We booked the Saint John day pass in Aug 2019.  I don't remember how much it cost, but the breakfast and lunch were both pretty amazing.  Lunch was ordered off a menu.  The resort is very pretty and the many pools awesome.  The beach was not very big nor easy to get to, but it was pretty.  If you are looking for a relaxing day then I would recommend this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, S&DMOM said:

Any luck?  I am tempted to go to St. John but unfortunately our ship does not get to port until 12 noon.  I asked the hotel if they could offer us lunch and afternoon snack since we are missing breakfast and they said they could not.  Seems expensive for just lunch at the resort.  Any other ideas you came up with?  Thanks!

I had asked the same thing as my husband and kids wanted to first do Delos then come. I was hoping for a reduced fee, but they said no. I haven't booked anything yet.  I've also seen where you can book a subbed elsewhere but I'm still not sure. I haven't gotten much feedback here for that. Most people are saying to just find a beach once there. I kinda of want to book ahead though.  

Still looking.I will update if I find any other info.

• Like 1

There is no need to book ahead.  Just search for directions and info to the many public beaches on this board.  There are restaurants and concessions where you can rent loungers and umbrellas in all of them.  And they all have nicer beaches than the hotel.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 5:15 PM, suekay said:

Isn't it difficult to get transport to a beach?  When we were there a few years ago, there were very few if any, taxis available and the queue for the long bus was a fiasco. We gave up

We simply take the local bus to our chosen beach.   One can walk over to the bus parking area (near the windmills) and pay a few Euros to get the entire party to your chosen beach.  Once at the beach you simply negotiate a deal for loungers (you can sometimes save a few Euros with negotiation and the promise to buy lunch/drinks).  There are plenty of decent beaches (each with their pros/cons) so folks might want to do some homework and choose the options that best fit their own wants.

Hank

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 12:09 PM, suekay said:

That sounds good, Hank. Are there frequent buses returning to the port? 

I guess it depends on your definition of "frequent."  The various bus lines do have published schedules (they are posted at the bus stops including the bus parking area near the windmills).   There are different bus lines that go to various beaches so you certainly want to check the schedule once you get to the bus stops.  Depending on the beach (and line) there might only be a bus every 45 min while some other beaches might be served by 2 or 3 buses per hour.   This never caused us an issue for return buses because we noted the schedule before we walked from the bus stop to the beach.  It was then a simple matter to be back at the bus stop a few minutes before the scheduled bus.  As to the bus area in Mykonos Town, we simply checked the schedule when we arrived at the bus stop.  I recall one trip when it was about 40 min for the bus to the beach we had planned to visit so we simply took an earlier bus and went to a different beach (also on our short list of preferred beaches).

The bus Timetables are online  Bus Timetables – Mykonos Bus – 2022 Official Bus Schedule  but one should always verify the accuracy by checking the posted Timetable at the stop.  

One other issue.  There are actually two different bus stations (more like small parking areas) in Mykonos Town.  Depending where on the island you want to go you need to choose the appropriate bus station/stop.  If you are in town and trying to find your way to a stop the narrow streets can seem like a real maze.  You can always ask locals or use one of mapping programs on your phone (assuming you have a working phone).   I can find the Fabrika station (also called Chora) because I know the general direction and just head off to that part of town.  Mykonos Town is a friendly tourist-driven area and most of the locals speak some English and will point you in the right direction if you simply ask.  I seldom waste my time trying to read a map (you can get free maps in town) but that is also possible (if you can actually find the street names).

I would just add that we really like Mykonos (been there about a dozen times over a few decades) and have always managed on our own (even before we had cell phones).  Dealing with the street maze in Mykonos Town is part of the charm (and challenge).  But do not fear because no matter what direction you walk you will find bars, cafes, etc.  If you get lost just stop for a few drinks and everything will seem fine :).

Hank

• Like 1

Thank You Hank, appreciate the detailed info.  So I guess I will not book a day pass but use the bus to find a beach.  

My husband and kids want to first go to Delos then meet me at the beach. I guess it should be okay for me to go by myself and grab 2 sunbeds for when they are back right? We definitely will be eating lunch and I will order some drinks for myself while I relax without the family LOL. 

Does anyone have experience with a place that has good food on Ornos beach?

thanks

• 1 year later...

We just did a day pass at this hotel on our recent cruise, and it was a TERRIBLE experience....like the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel and I would strongly recommend AGAINST it! First of all, cost is now 120 Euros per adult, but we decided it was worth the splurge for the peace and tranquility it would allow. This ended up being far from the case! We were 35 min late being picked up to start. Arrival started off well, hotel is beautiful and the breakfast was AMAZING! But went quickly downhill from there. Beach is terrible - tiny, rocky and not swimmable. Hotel was super crowded, and we struggled to find lounge chairs (which I understand as it is busy season - but on the flip side, if you are at capacity and cannot guarantee chairs for highly paying day guests, DO not offer the service)! We had many other issues during our time there, but my biggest complaint was when we tried to address them with the asst manager prior to departure - honestly if we had just gotten a heartfelt apology we would have just dismissed the whole experience and forgotten about it. But, he was so condescending in his obvious disgust of cruise ship passengers (trying to blame the chaos, music, swearing, etc around the pool on "those" cruise ship guests who act out when they try and "share" their beautiful hotel with "them", despite US being the cruise ship guests!) and overall just felt extremely talked down to. 

On 7/1/2023 at 10:10 AM, edinburgher said:

Choose your beach with care.  Worth reading this warning on a thread from earlier this year:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2920075-beware-of-this-restaurant-in-mykonos-it’s-a-scam/#comment-64930038

What a shame!  Which beaches would you recommend to avoid this?  

On 5/22/2022 at 2:35 PM, Hlitner said:

I guess it depends on your definition of "frequent."  The various bus lines do have published schedules (they are posted at the bus stops including the bus parking area near the windmills).   There are different bus lines that go to various beaches so you certainly want to check the schedule once you get to the bus stops.  Depending on the beach (and line) there might only be a bus every 45 min while some other beaches might be served by 2 or 3 buses per hour.   This never caused us an issue for return buses because we noted the schedule before we walked from the bus stop to the beach.  It was then a simple matter to be back at the bus stop a few minutes before the scheduled bus.  As to the bus area in Mykonos Town, we simply checked the schedule when we arrived at the bus stop.  I recall one trip when it was about 40 min for the bus to the beach we had planned to visit so we simply took an earlier bus and went to a different beach (also on our short list of preferred beaches).

The bus Timetables are online  Bus Timetables – Mykonos Bus – 2022 Official Bus Schedule  but one should always verify the accuracy by checking the posted Timetable at the stop.  

One other issue.  There are actually two different bus stations (more like small parking areas) in Mykonos Town.  Depending where on the island you want to go you need to choose the appropriate bus station/stop.  If you are in town and trying to find your way to a stop the narrow streets can seem like a real maze.  You can always ask locals or use one of mapping programs on your phone (assuming you have a working phone).   I can find the Fabrika station (also called Chora) because I know the general direction and just head off to that part of town.  Mykonos Town is a friendly tourist-driven area and most of the locals speak some English and will point you in the right direction if you simply ask.  I seldom waste my time trying to read a map (you can get free maps in town) but that is also possible (if you can actually find the street names).

I would just add that we really like Mykonos (been there about a dozen times over a few decades) and have always managed on our own (even before we had cell phones).  Dealing with the street maze in Mykonos Town is part of the charm (and challenge).  But do not fear because no matter what direction you walk you will find bars, cafes, etc.  If you get lost just stop for a few drinks and everything will seem fine :).

Hank

I know you are a DIY type. With this being our first time would you recommend the ship beach excursion for ease or is the bus system easy and reliable enough to do on our own?  The NCL excursion doesn’t say where we are going. This is the only description provided so who know where they would take us. 

IMG_0725.thumb.png.873b83a6420f4dd1fb827a51ba158fd5.png

Ahhh, DIY or an excursion.  Perhaps if I post a detailed scenario it will give you a better feel for the situation.  Assuming that your ship docks (some ships tender) you would first need to get from your ship into town.  As Cruisemom has mentioned in some other posts, walking into town (from the port) is along a 2 lane road and it is not the safest stroll since one has to worry about an errant driver hitting a pedestrian.  NCL will likely provide a free or low cost shuttle bus into town and there may also be some available taxis (no guarantee).  Once in town, to get to the best beaches, you need to get to the bus terminal (there are two in town) which is on the side of the windmills (the opposite side from the cruise port.  Walking though town can be be fun and it can take 15-20 minutes to get to the bus parking area.  Once at that area you would check the bus schedules to find out when the next bus goes to your selected beach (such as Paradise or Platis Giolos).  

For DW and I, this kind of DIY adventure is pure fun.  For many others, it is a pain in the behind or frustrating (when you get lost in town).  Not knowing where the NCL excursion goes makes it difficult to frame a well informed recommendation.  Perhaps somebody who has recently been to the island has info on where they are taking the cruise line excursions (we assume most ships use the same shore tour provider and go to the same places).  The description you posted fits many of the popular island beaches (having facilities and a taverna).  

Sorry this does not fully answer your question, but only you can decide if you are the DIY type or prefer to pay the big bucks for the ease of cruise line excursions.

Hank

On 7/1/2023 at 8:37 AM, allibaba78 said:

We just did a day pass at this hotel on our recent cruise, and it was a TERRIBLE experience....like the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel and I would strongly recommend AGAINST it! First of all, cost is now 120 Euros per adult, but we decided it was worth the splurge for the peace and tranquility it would allow. This ended up being far from the case! We were 35 min late being picked up to start. Arrival started off well, hotel is beautiful and the breakfast was AMAZING! But went quickly downhill from there. Beach is terrible - tiny, rocky and not swimmable. Hotel was super crowded, and we struggled to find lounge chairs (which I understand as it is busy season - but on the flip side, if you are at capacity and cannot guarantee chairs for highly paying day guests, DO not offer the service)! We had many other issues during our time there, but my biggest complaint was when we tried to address them with the asst manager prior to departure - honestly if we had just gotten a heartfelt apology we would have just dismissed the whole experience and forgotten about it. But, he was so condescending in his obvious disgust of cruise ship passengers (trying to blame the chaos, music, swearing, etc around the pool on "those" cruise ship guests who act out when they try and "share" their beautiful hotel with "them", despite US being the cruise ship guests!) and overall just felt extremely talked down to. 

Oh no!!  I am so sorry to read this. What a stressful experience you had.   We have booked the St.John's for our cruise stop at the end of August.  Going to cross my fingers it goes a bit better for our group of 7.  I hope you made some great memories during your stop in Mykonos.

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from our Mediterranean cruise, and arranged the day pass at Saint John in Mykonos. While I feel sorry for the previous poster's bad experience, I felt that I must respond to describe our absolutely amazing experience at the resort. We booked the pass the night before arriving. The hotel staff were immediate to respond, and booking was very easy through a link. We needed to change our pickup time slightly at the last minute the morning of, and they also responded immediately and accommodated us. We did not have to pay until we arrived at the hotel, which was very comforting, in case anything went awry with our plans (Mykonos is a tender port). The day passes were 110euro for adults and 80 for children. In my opinion, it was worth every penny. We had the best breakfast buffet I've ever eaten, which was served until 11am. The passes also included a 3 course lunch, which could be enjoyed from 12pm until 6pm (easily enough food for the entire day). Lunch was equally spectacular, and more food than we could possibly eat. Our incredible day, was spent on comfy lounge chairs and swinging day beds overlooking the infinity pool and the sea. When we tired of the stunning pool, we made our way down to the beach and dove off the dock into sea. Our private return transfer was to the moment on time. And our driver agreed to drop us off in town, as we had extra time before our ship departed. We spent a magnificent day in complete luxury, and it was worth every last penny. Arriving early is probably key to making the most of these passes, we entered around 10am, and had our choice of almost every lounge chair available, and were able to enjoy both meals offered. Again, I'm very sorry to the previous poster, but I would definitely give Saint John a chance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2023 at 11:28 PM, shelly4823 said:

We have just returned from our Mediterranean cruise, and arranged the day pass at Saint John in Mykonos. While I feel sorry for the previous poster's bad experience, I felt that I must respond to describe our absolutely amazing experience at the resort. We booked the pass the night before arriving. The hotel staff were immediate to respond, and booking was very easy through a link. We needed to change our pickup time slightly at the last minute the morning of, and they also responded immediately and accommodated us. We did not have to pay until we arrived at the hotel, which was very comforting, in case anything went awry with our plans (Mykonos is a tender port). The day passes were 110euro for adults and 80 for children. In my opinion, it was worth every penny. We had the best breakfast buffet I've ever eaten, which was served until 11am. The passes also included a 3 course lunch, which could be enjoyed from 12pm until 6pm (easily enough food for the entire day). Lunch was equally spectacular, and more food than we could possibly eat. Our incredible day, was spent on comfy lounge chairs and swinging day beds overlooking the infinity pool and the sea. When we tired of the stunning pool, we made our way down to the beach and dove off the dock into sea. Our private return transfer was to the moment on time. And our driver agreed to drop us off in town, as we had extra time before our ship departed. We spent a magnificent day in complete luxury, and it was worth every last penny. Arriving early is probably key to making the most of these passes, we entered around 10am, and had our choice of almost every lounge chair available, and were able to enjoy both meals offered. Again, I'm very sorry to the previous poster, but I would definitely give Saint John a chance. 

So as I read it you forgo your ' free ' onboard breakfast to have breakfast and lunch at a hotel on the island and paying €110 per adult and €80 for kids.

That is one expensive way to see a hotel in Greece but not see any of Mykonos.

Hank and I disagree on the merits of modern Mykonos as a whole but are both surprised at the unwillingness or lack of ingenuity in cruisers to explore destinations independently.

A bus journey costing a couple of euros can get you to a public beach with plenty of tree shade to negate having to share cheek by jowel expensive sunbeds.

Even a taxi journey isn't that expensive compared to those prices.

There are bakeries providing cheap and tasty snacks and any number of food concessions and drink for a picnic.

You could have a marvellous and fun family day out for far less than the cost of one of those adult day passes.

Remember - Mykonos is small. No more than 30 square miles with good beaches less than a couple of miles from the port.

You're not going to miss the boat.

1 hour ago, Baggy178 said:

So as I read it you forgo your ' free ' onboard breakfast to have breakfast and lunch at a hotel on the island and paying €110 per adult and €80 for kids.

That is one expensive way to see a hotel in Greece but not see any of Mykonos.

Hank and I disagree on the merits of modern Mykonos as a whole but are both surprised at the unwillingness or lack of ingenuity in cruisers to explore destinations independently.

A bus journey costing a couple of euros can get you to a public beach with plenty of tree shade to negate having to share cheek by jowel expensive sunbeds.

Even a taxi journey isn't that expensive compared to those prices.

There are bakeries providing cheap and tasty snacks and any number of food concessions and drink for a picnic.

You could have a marvellous and fun family day out for far less than the cost of one of those adult day passes.

Remember - Mykonos is small. No more than 30 square miles with good beaches less than a couple of miles from the port.

You're not going to miss the boat.

I think that this debate is subjective and based on preference. My family are foodies, and find eating delicious unique food an experience in itself. We powered through the disappointing cruise breakfast for six days, and were happy to splurge on an experience with a magnificent breakfast (they had both breakfast and lunch foods from around the world, all cooked perfectly, hot and fresh). We spoke to other cruise goers who took taxis to the public beach. After the cost of the taxi, lounge chair rentals, and expensive beach lunch, they spent 80euro a person. Our cruise did not depart until 8:30pm, we spent 2 hours after our day at Saint John exploring every bit of town of Mykonos. We had three other cruise stops where we took local transport and spent a fraction of this amount. While we love cruising (we booked our third this year), it is nice to once in a while have the experience of a resort. We were the only day pass patrons that day, and sat amongst vacationers who paid 1500euro a night for this luxury. In the end, it was one of the highlights of the trip, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
On 7/1/2023 at 9:10 AM, edinburgher said:

Choose your beach with care.  Worth reading this warning on a thread from earlier this year:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2920075-beware-of-this-restaurant-in-mykonos-it’s-a-scam/#comment-64930038

We ate at that same restraunt and loved it , we had a 15% coupon and the bill was only $550 Euros .