Italy ports - have bubbles ended? Capri ferries from Naples

oz61

Can we now do independent travel in Italy or are we still required to use ship excursions (NCL)?

Ā 

The price for Capri on Your Own has increased significantly, so is it possible and safe to catch either the SNAV or NLG jetfoil to Capri? Is one line better than the other and which is closest to where the ships dock? Is pre purchasing tickets worthwhile and/or necessary?

Ā 

Any advice appreciated! We sail in late June.

The Italian government no longer requires ship excursions to get off at ports, now it's up to the cruise line.Ā  Some are allowing it, some are still requiring ship excursions.Ā  You'll have to check with NCL.

Ā 

Assuming you can go off on your own, it's very easy to take the fast ferries on your own.Ā  Molo Beverello, the dock for these ferries, is adjacent to the cruise port so it could not be easier.

Ā 

In the past it wasn't necessary, generally, to pre-book but since so many things have been cut back and are not yet up to full speed, I would consider buying at least the outbound ticket in advance.Ā  I don't think it's necessary, it's up to you how you feel about leaving it open.

Ā 

If you don't buy in advance, be sure to purchase your return ticket either in Naples or as soon as you land on Capri.Ā  You do not have to purchase both outbound and return from the same line, pick the ones with the times you want.Ā  The service they offer is the same, there's no reason to pick one over another except for the time of the crossing you want.

25 minutes ago, oz61 said:

so is it possible and safe to catch either the SNAV or NLG jetfoil to Capri? Is one line better than the other and which is closest to where the ships dock?

Ā 

As euro cruiser says, the ferry port called Molo Beverello is next to the cruise port. Ferries and jetfoils both leave from there but it is not the only ferry port in Naples so just be sure if you book your reservation in advance that the departure point is listed as Molo Beverello.

another thing for Capri:Ā  they have banned single-use water bottles and plastic bags.Ā  Please be sure you have reusable bottles and a shopping bag with you if they aren't already part of your normal travel routine.Ā  If you're caught, it can be a 500EU fine!!!

Thanks all. Originally the NCL price for Capri on Your Own was $140 AUD (94 euro). Overnight it changed to $199 AUD (134 euro) and it is effectively just a return ferry which is around 44 euro if purchased from the ferry companies!Ā 

Ā 

Another thread said NCL are allowing independent travel in Italy now.

Ā 

If there was any "peace of mind" in booking with NCL and returning, I might think about it, but you are "on your own" and still have to get back to Marina Grande. This is more of a worry, as I have been to Capri in early May and it was very busy, so a little concerned about how busy it will be in late June.

Ā 

Are the other islands e.g. Ischia, worth considering?

Ā 

In regards to the water bottles, can you carry the plastic ones with you and bring them home or is completely illegal to possess them?Ā 

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

The only time I'd consider taking a ship excursion will be one which involves taking a ferry... Capri, Ischia, St. Thomas to St. John, etc.

Ā 

For the peace of mind.

Ā 

At Capri I think there is little risk. The ships use the same ferries/hydrofoils as regular passengers -- they do not lay on any special transport. So if the ferry is unable to run for any reason (e.g., weather), then everyone is stranded on Capri whether on a ship excursion or not.

4 hours ago, oz61 said:

Ā 

In regards to the water bottles, can you carry the plastic ones with you and bring them home or is completely illegal to possess them?Ā 

Ā 

Can I suggest having travelled a few times in late June and July when it is so hot, that having a small insulated water bottle with you has been wonderful. We fill it up with icy cold water before leaving the ship and it stays cold and refreshing. Whereas we find water in plastic bottles warms up quickly while walking around and not as refreshing to drink.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, oz61 said:

Thanks all. Originally the NCL price for Capri on Your Own was $140 AUD (94 euro). Overnight it changed to $199 AUD (134 euro) and it is effectively just a return ferry which is around 44 euro if purchased from the ferry companies!Ā 

Ā 

Another thread said NCL are allowing independent travel in Italy now.

Ā 

If there was any "peace of mind" in booking with NCL and returning, I might think about it, but you are "on your own" and still have to get back to Marina Grande. This is more of a worry, as I have been to Capri in early May and it was very busy, so a little concerned about how busy it will be in late June.

Ā 

Ā 

With the bottles, from what I could find, you cannot bring them onto the island. Ā Pay a couple bucks and get a reusable bottle that will keep your water cold. Ā 

15 hours ago, oz61 said:

Ā 

It depends. I would put Ischia very low indeed on all of the possible things to do from Naples or Sorrento. But then I'm not a beach or "scenic beauty" sort of person. I visited Castello Aragonese which was okay but nothing fab. The most interesting thing was the Pithecusae Archeological Museum, which holds an unusual find known as "Nestor's Cup":

Ā 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestor's_Cup_(Pithekoussai)

Ā 

Basically the cup is thought to carry an inscription that is LITERALLY the start of writing for the ancient Greeks. Greeks, not Romans. (Greeks colonized the entire area.)Ā  So for classicists, the start of Greek culture, arguably....

Ā 

Ā 

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

then everyone is stranded on Capri whether on a ship excursion or not.

Ā 

Absolutely agree about being stranded with everyone else. However, personally, I'd prefer to be "stranded" under the cruise line's "responsibility"Ā šŸ˜‰

On 4/2/2022 at 9:33 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Ā 

At Capri I think there is little risk. The ships use the same ferries/hydrofoils as regular passengers -- they do not lay on any special transport. So if the ferry is unable to run for any reason (e.g., weather), then everyone is stranded on Capri whether on a ship excursion or not.

Please note that it is possible that a ferry or hydrofoil can be full and no tickets available if you decide to purchase them shortly before leaving capri. This has happened to passengers although rare. I would recommend purchasing a return ticket asap to be safe.