Covid tests, using the free government test to qualify

Mary229

51 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

(USA citizens) I was watching Let’s go! Travel Tips YouTube and she describes how you can use your free government test to qualify for travel.  I have the ihealth test and can pay $24.99 to have it proctored. https://ihealthlabs.com/

this is a great option for your return home 

A great tip, thank you for posting it. I'll be flying back from London after a cruise in early May. I decided to stay a night at a hotel near the airport so as not to have to rush off the ship and worry about COVID testing on the day of flying. I have a couple of unused tests and buying the service is cheaper than either buying a different proctored test OR getting it done at the airport, which would still be my Plan B.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

(USA citizens) I was watching Let’s go! Travel Tips YouTube and she describes how you can use your free government test to qualify for travel.  I have the ihealth test and can pay $24.99 to have it proctored. https://ihealthlabs.com/

this is a great option for your return home 

Can these be for testing before boarding the cruise ship?

23 minutes ago, cabinluvn said:

Can these be for testing before boarding the cruise ship?

Yes, they can .  Many insurance companies cover the tests at drug stores though

Edited by Mary229

I just looked at the testing site and it is for ihealth tests only.  My government tests are from a different vendor.  Sounds like a good option with the right brand of test.

Already have BianaxNow tests anyway.  Also, ihealth only able to use computers, no phones or tablets.

• Thanks 1

At the moment (don't know how much longer it's going to last) the US government is requiring your insurance company to reimburse you for the cost of at-home covid tests.  As I recall you can purchase up to 4 tests per month under the reimbursement plan.

I recently bought a 3-pack of the proctored tests from emed for $99 and had my check from the insurance company within a couple of weeks.

Edited by groundloop
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, groundloop said:

At the moment (don't know how much longer it's going to last) the US government is requiring your insurance company to reimburse you for the cost of at-home covid tests.  As I recall you can purchase up to 4 tests per month under the reimbursement plan.

I recently bought a 3-pack of the proctored tests from emed for $99 and had my check from the insurance company within a couple of weeks.

Will HAL still have embarkation testing available for those of us unable to do proctored test?

40 minutes ago, groundloop said:

This is the free test directly from the US government.  Each household can order up to four double pack test kits, that is 8 tests total.  Here is the link

https://www.covid.gov/tests

3 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

Will HAL still have embarkation testing available for those of us unable to do proctored test?

Currently you are expected to show up at the pier for US and Canadian departures with the test results already completed.  Reports indicate there are some tests available, at your expense, if your results have not been delivered to you in a timely manner.  Remember you must be vaccinated also.  There are different rules for those with exemptions and different rules for European sailings 

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

Currently you are expected to show up at the pier for US and Canadian departures with the test results already completed.  Reports indicate there are some tests available, at your expense, if your results have not been delivered to you in a timely manner.  Remember you must be vaccinated also.  There are different rules for those with exemptions and different rules for European sailings 

So sorry. I meant disembarkation overseas 

This is what they say

Yes, if a negative antigen COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, Holland America Line will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test which will be conducted after your cruise at the terminal. Guests should disembark the ship, collect their luggage, clear customs, and exit the terminal. Test results will be available in approximately 30-60 minutes so please plan your post-cruise travel arrangements within the timeframe required prior to travel and prior to the end of the voyage. Guests will receive a copy of the test digitally or can wait for a printed copy.  

3 hours ago, groundloop said:

At the moment (don't know how much longer it's going to last) the US government is requiring your insurance company to reimburse you for the cost of at-home covid tests.  As I recall you can purchase up to 4 tests per month under the reimbursement plan.…

As of right now, it’s 8 tests per person per month. https://www.cms.gov/how-to-get-your-at-home-OTC-COVID-19-test-for-free

Edited by syesmar

2 hours ago, syesmar said:

As of right now, it’s 8 tests per person per month. https://www.cms.gov/how-to-get-your-at-home-OTC-COVID-19-test-for-free

Just a quick clarification.  These tests are not "free".  I don't think that Abbott is just giving them away to the Federal Government.  Our tax dollars are paying for this. 

"Looking ahead, Abbott is forecasting $2.5 billion in Covid-19 related testing sales for this year, according to the company’s full year 2022 guidance released Wednesday. On a call with analysts to discuss earnings, Ford cautioned those sales would be early in the year based on an “initial” projection and the company would update that project on a quarterly basis."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I actually scored a 'bonus' test on my second order. Instead of 4 more, I got a 5-test package. 😉

I seem to recall? that through Medicare you can score an extra.  Maybe that is a faulty memory