Tips When Traveling Alone with Child?

I impulsively booked a cruise today for next April. I'm a single mother (by choice) and it will just be the two of us.

Any tips for traveling alone with a child?

I've never been on Norwegian before and this will be my daughter's first cruise. We are both pretty laid back and go with the flow. I have traveled a bit with just the two of us but nothing like a real vacation like this will be. She has special needs and significant delays so I won't be using their programs for children. My biggest concern is that she isn't toilet trained so won't be able to use the pools but is a fish. There are only two sea days but it will be interesting to navigate keeping her busy and away from the water lol.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Take one of her good friends on the cruise with you.  They will amuse ea h other.

Thanks but she has severe delays and does not really interact with other children. I also wouldn't feel comfortable traveling alone with someone else's child.

I know some people with toddlers bring a small wading pool for the balcony and put some water in it (using the ice bucket), if that would satisfy your kiddo. Otherwise, I would consider a beach stop… if your cruise is to beach locations, if that is possible to get some water time. Also, it may be possible if you talk to the kids program folks to have some time you can be with her and attending to her, but use their facilities?  Have fun!

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2022 at 2:58 PM, Kierste said:

I know some people with toddlers bring a small wading pool for the balcony and put some water in it (using the ice bucket), if that would satisfy your kiddo. Otherwise, I would consider a beach stop… if your cruise is to beach locations, if that is possible to get some water time. Also, it may be possible if you talk to the kids program folks to have some time you can be with her and attending to her, but use their facilities?  Have fun!

Thanks! I don't even think she needs a big space, she'd be happy with just a small container to splash in lol. I read that they have the Guppies where parents do the activities with the children. It's for under three but developmentally she is so hopefully they would let us participate.

10 minutes ago, OurSlowSimpleTravel said:

Thanks! I don't even think she needs a big space, she'd be happy with just a small container to splash in lol. I read that they have the Guppies where parents do the activities with the children. It's for under three but developmentally she is so hopefully they would let us participate.

GUPPIES NURSERY
Guppies Nursery: 6 months to under 3 years (Only on the Norwegian Escape)

What if my child needs SPECIAL attention or has a medical condition?

Parents of children with special needs and/or medical conditions please see the Nursery Coordinator for additional information.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Thanks 1

I've seen shallow kiddie pools on several ships - just 3-6 inches of water in a pool maybe 10-12 feet across with a low curb edge.  They seem to be near the kids centers, but are available for guests when the group isn't there - not locked up or restricted access - so you don't need permission to be there.

It's entirely separate from any splash zone or deep water pool, and there aren't any toys, sprayers, buckets, etc.  Seemed like a quiet place for kids for whom the busy central pool deck is not suitable.

They might be identified on deck plans for your ship, look on the outer perimeter on the same deck as the childcare center.

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2022 at 3:15 PM, OurSlowSimpleTravel said:

Is this for your April, 2023, cruise on the NCL Jewel?

I don't think that ship has the official "Guppy" level program.

Also, generally they will not waive the age requirements (probably at least in part to avoid opening floodgates).  But that's moot if you'll be on the Jewel.

As mentioned, it will be important for you to contact the Special Needs group at NCL to find out what will work best.

Many others, including us, have found them to be very helpful when dealing with any special medical issues.

GC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sue Do-Over said:

I've seen shallow kiddie pools on several ships - just 3-6 inches of water in a pool maybe 10-12 feet across with a low curb edge.  They seem to be near the kids centers, but are available for guests when the group isn't there - not locked up or restricted access - so you don't need permission to be there.

It's entirely separate from any splash zone or deep water pool, and there aren't any toys, sprayers, buckets, etc.  Seemed like a quiet place for kids for whom the busy central pool deck is not suitable.

They might be identified on deck plans for your ship, look on the outer perimeter on the same deck as the childcare center.

There is no water play areas on any NCL ship for diapered kids, even if the areas look like they’d be appropriate for swim diapers.

• Thanks 1

I would just plan on visiting beaches on port days to get your water time. There are plenty of other activities on the ship to entertain families. Even though you can't drop her off at the kid's programming there are several times during the cruise where the kid's and teen clubs are open for family play. You can then take her in there to play/draw, etc. where you can play along with her.

• Thanks 1

I don't have any experience with special needs children, so I can only share about our cruise when my daughter was about 3... we were on a ship with maybe 3-4 children, so we didn't leave her at the kids program.  We just took her everywhere with us.  If it were port days, we'd bring her (this was true throughout her years too... we spent all that money getting somewhere, I wanted her to experience it).  If it were sea days, then we did whatever the activities were, trivia, arts and crafts, etc.  She was too young to participate in most so mostly observed.

Nowadays I do arts and crafts in the library.  Not sure if she can but maybe you can entice her with it.  Otherwise, walking around the ship is good too, saying hi to other people, etc.  You will have fun - what a special trip!

• Thanks 1

Something else just occurred to me.  Where are you traveling, although this may not matter.

You are a single parent, but do you have any documents that "prove" that?

There can be some serious verifications at some borders, and this includes boarding cruise ships in some locations; see NCL rules, but also for *any* country you are leaving, including the USA.  It can be up to the officials at the checkpoints.

There are concerns about child abductions, and in particular, by a non-custodial parent, so showing that  one is "a" parent doesn't alleviate this concern.

Again, check all the rules, but you might consider bringing something that would prove to any authorities that you are "it", and there isn't anyone else who should have given permission for you to leave the country with the child.

(Obviously, your situation is not one in which a notarized letter of "permission" from the "other parent" would suffice.)

I know this may sound strange or harsh, but it's because of unfortunate incidents that these precautions have been put in place.

The documents may not be needed, but you wouldn't want to be in a situation where they *are* needed, and you don't have them.

GC

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't worry about proving you are a single parent. Once she has a passport and you have that passport it won't be a problem. My husband and I travel with our twins and often one of us will take one child on individual adventures. 

What ship will you be traveling on? Different ships have very different amenities. Here are some of my ideas.

There is live music throughout the day. Sometimes in lounges or bars, sometimes on deck. Take her to hear the live music. It is not a concert setting so she doesn't need to be quiet. 

One of our favorite places to hang out when on cruises is the Spinnaker Bar. There is usually some activity going on all day. Dance classes, trivia, games. Then our kids were little they enjoyed just sitting with us and experiencing the activity. It also has amazing ocean views. 

There are game rooms on the ships. We would go and play Uno in the game rooms. 

On ships that have "The Great Outdoors" My kids enjoyed sitting there for a snack. 

Some ships also have a bridge viewing room. That is fun to see. 

My children also enjoyed walking the ship. We would walk the decks, see the common areas. We would spend time sitting outside and looking at the water. 

For cruises we would bring their iPads, a few coloring and activity books, a few toys. 

There is always something going on while you are on the ship. Even if she can't participate in every activity  she can at least be there and experience the excitement of everyone around her. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Alynna715 said:

I wouldn't worry about proving you are a single parent. Once she has a passport and you have that passport it won't be a problem. My husband and I travel with our twins and often one of us will take one child on individual adventures. 

What ship will you be traveling on? Different ships have very different amenities. Here are some of my ideas.

There is live music throughout the day. Sometimes in lounges or bars, sometimes on deck. Take her to hear the live music. It is not a concert setting so she doesn't need to be quiet. 

One of our favorite places to hang out when on cruises is the Spinnaker Bar. There is usually some activity going on all day. Dance classes, trivia, games. Then our kids were little they enjoyed just sitting with us and experiencing the activity. It also has amazing ocean views. 

There are game rooms on the ships. We would go and play Uno in the game rooms. 

On ships that have "The Great Outdoors" My kids enjoyed sitting there for a snack. 

Some ships also have a bridge viewing room. That is fun to see. 

My children also enjoyed walking the ship. We would walk the decks, see the common areas. We would spend time sitting outside and looking at the water. 

For cruises we would bring their iPads, a few coloring and activity books, a few toys. 

There is always something going on while you are on the ship. Even if she can't participate in every activity  she can at least be there and experience the excitement of everyone around her. 

"Individual adventures" across international borders?

One might not get challenged, but I sure wouldn't want to risk it.

ETA:  Just look at the US State Department requirements.  Whether they are enforced all the time?? But it's risky.

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 11:07 AM, Sue Do-Over said:

These areas still don't allow children who aren't toilet trained sadly. I understand it's challenging to add it to ships but with more and more families cruising I wish more ships had them.

On 4/8/2022 at 12:04 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Is this for your April, 2023, cruise on the NCL Jewel?

I don't think that ship has the official "Guppy" level program.

Also, generally they will not waive the age requirements (probably at least in part to avoid opening floodgates).  But that's moot if you'll be on the Jewel.

As mentioned, it will be important for you to contact the Special Needs group at NCL to find out what will work best.

Many others, including us, have found them to be very helpful when dealing with any special medical issues.

GC

Yes, the Jewel. That's sad they don't have the guppy program.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:04 AM, GeezerCouple said:

Something else just occurred to me.  Where are you traveling, although this may not matter.

You are a single parent, but do you have any documents that "prove" that?

There can be some serious verifications at some borders, and this includes boarding cruise ships in some locations; see NCL rules, but also for *any* country you are leaving, including the USA.  It can be up to the officials at the checkpoints.

There are concerns about child abductions, and in particular, by a non-custodial parent, so showing that  one is "a" parent doesn't alleviate this concern.

Again, check all the rules, but you might consider bringing something that would prove to any authorities that you are "it", and there isn't anyone else who should have given permission for you to leave the country with the child.

(Obviously, your situation is not one in which a notarized letter of "permission" from the "other parent" would suffice.)

I know this may sound strange or harsh, but it's because of unfortunate incidents that these precautions have been put in place.

The documents may not be needed, but you wouldn't want to be in a situation where they *are* needed, and you don't have them.

GC

Yes, I have her birth certificate (lists only me with father starred out) as well as adoption court order. I've travelled internationally with her and just showed those documents. I was CONSTANTLY asked for proof that there is no father. It was a bit annoying when asked multiple times in a day but I totally get why they ask.

19 minutes ago, OurSlowSimpleTravel said:

Yes, I have her birth certificate (lists only me with father starred out) as well as adoption court order. I've travelled internationally with her and just showed those documents. I was CONSTANTLY asked for proof that there is no father. It was a bit annoying when asked multiple times in a day but I totally get why they ask.

Your experience is very interesting, and instructive.

Most of the time, comments about proof of permission (or of the lack of "the other parent") get brushed aside.   And if no one asks about it, then... no problem.

However, IF some IS asked and doesn't have the proper documentation, that could get unpleasant to a lesser or greater degree.

It's sort of like getting the proper documentation about certain meds when crossing international borders (some trickier than others).  We always have an abundance of documentation, in hand with copies stored in the cloud just in case.  I figure it's sort of like carrying an umbrella:  then it won't rain. 😉 

But your experience shows that it really *can* matter.

I'm very glad that it has all gone well, and I hope you have a great trip again on the cruise.  Yes, it's too bad that there isn't a Guppy program on all ships.  About 8 years ago, we took a cruise and brought the kids and one little grand with us.  He was only 18 months old, and it would have been nice to have a program.  As it was, there was a playroom sort of place where his parents could take him, and he found one little friend there, but the parents had to be there the entire time.  They all had a ball, but even a 2-hour program would have been welcomed, and probably attracted more than 1 or 2 children. 

You should see if they have the "playroom" set up.  I forget what it was called, but it gave space and some activities for the little ones, with parents right there, so it may work well for the two of you.

Have fun! 

GC

if it's a problem,why dont you just fill up the bathtub and have her splash around in there?  ive been on at least 15 ncl cruise, and while it's unfortunate, i dont believe ncl has has either the facilities or arrangements for children with special needs. 

So (somehow) this hasn’t been addressed, but depending on what ship you booked (notably anything in the breakaway or breakaway plus class) your kiddo may get very overwhelmed with all the people and noise, etc.  I’d anticipate having to spend some additional time in the cabin for some cooling off time, so maybe pack some in room activities for you guys to do together (also don’t forget room service is a thing…get some snacks in there!)

Other than that, you honestly should be fine,  You’re there to spend time with her and make memories. She will let you know what she wants/needs…no reason to stress about it, you’ll drive yourself batty going through all the possibilities.  Also I’d definitely recommend doing a beach excursion…pack some stuff to build a sand castle,  im sure she’ll have a blast.  Just be sure to a day where the beach is in walking distance from the dock so if she needs a break from it all you’re not stuck with a 20 minute bus ride back to the ship.

Edited by NauticalOtter