MSC Transfers from Hamburg Airport to Kiel

lets-cruz

Has anyone used MSC transfers to get from the Hamburg airport to the pier in Kiel?  or reverse?  If so, I'd appreciate any info about cost and how well it worked.

The MSC website says that you can arrange such transfers by calling them.  I've called the US office, and they were hopeless (well, what did I expect for MSC?)   Said that they couldn't arrange anything until 2 weeks before the cruise, and they didn't know how much it would be.

(Yes, I know I can book the Kiel bus, and I may do that.  But that option just takes you to the train station in Kiel, and then you still need to get to the pier, so if possible, I'd like to go direct to the pier.)

Thanks in advance for any info.

Edited by lets-cruz
  • Like 1

If you go to Kiel central station nevertheless, there should be a msc transfer from station to pier (bookable rigt there at the station). This is what german MSC website (US) says:

"MSC Shuttle Service:
On the day of embarkation we will provide you with a chargeable shuttle service from Kiel main station to the Ostuferhafen terminal for € 10, - per person / per line! The shuttle is continuous, from the first slot up to 4 hours before the ship's departure. The meeting point for embarking guests via train station will be at exit CAP (direction of the restaurant ‘Cabana’). Down the stairs (elevator available) there will be the luggage drop of which is marked with an MSC beach flag. Busses will be parked at the so called ‘Kaisertreppe’. The place is also marked with an MSC beach flag.

This service can be only booked on site at one of our hostesses. The cost will be charged to the onboard account. Concerning the disembarkation transfer the guests can buy it directly on board."

Taxi from station to pier will be about 20€, so roughly the same if you are 2 pax.

Three years ago we were on MSC in/out of Kiel.  Used train from Hamburg Hbf. Kiel Hbf to/from Pier used Taxi.  Different Piers used for Em and De barkation.  Transfers were advertised on the daily bulletin on board.  If you have a flight the same day it would be best option on debarkation day.  Public transport is circuitous.  Priced and organized like a tour, not a transfer.  If flight is in the future, take the train, unless you want the included driveby "tour"  There is metro transport at Hamburg airport for getting to/from the city.

We took the train to Kiel Hbf. At the station entrance from the platforms, there was a MSC rep that guided us to the location of the MSC bus which was located on the station's side street as described above. Perhaps there will be a MSC rep in the baggage claim area of Hamburg airport which can advise on the direct bus to the pier but if there isn't, rest assured there will be a bus from Kiel Hbf.

• Like 1

Depending on your cruise market, Florida as per your signature, you'll may to have an option to purchase a flight+transfer+cruise, or even better such a before the cruise stay in Hamburg which is a wonderful city to visit for a day or 2 to say the least. Otherwise; as far as I know it is like the others have said above. There will be a chargeable shuttle from the main Kiel train station to the port, or eventually one from the Airport direct to the ship, but both those and the return tickets will to be only bookable directly on site, with the charge going to your cabin account. Meanwhile don't give up on asking if there are no transfer options to be purchased by phone or online. Sometimes they add those extras at a non specified time frame. Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

Very helpful thread.  We are sailing on the Preziosa end of May and I had not booked any transfers from Hamburg yet.  Sounds like train to Kiel Hbf and MSC transfer to port will be our choice. We have 4 in the party with back-to-back luggage so taxis would not have worked too well.  We‘ll have our hotel in Hamburg arrange transport to the Hamburg Hbf.  Thanks all.

I prefer the Kielius bus from Hamburg airport to Kiel. Then you can take the MSC shuttle from Kiel train station.

There is no direct train from Hamburg airport to Kiel train station. You first have to take the suburban train to Hamburg main station and then the train to Kiel (and then the MSC shuttle bus).

steamboats

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RudiRatlos said:

Yes, now there is a MSC cruise terminal at "Ostuferhafen", which is not in walking distance from station.

Oh my god, that looks really ugly on Googlemaps. Thanks for the "warning".

And I guess still no ride-hailing in Germany, only terrible taxis, right? 

On 4/5/2022 at 7:09 AM, RudiRatlos said:

Yes, now there is a MSC cruise terminal at "Ostuferhafen", which is not in walking distance from station.

As the American comedian Steven Wright was known to say, "Everywhere is within walking distance.....if you have the time."

• Like 1

For anyone else looking for info on this...  I found that MSC offers transfers from the Hmaburg airport to the pier for $43 per person each way.   I added the transfers to my reservation by calling 888-366-1816.   It took two tries, but I now have writen confirmation.    Given that we are talking about MSC, still have my fingers crossed that it works out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2022 at 12:10 AM, lets-cruz said:

For anyone else looking for info on this...  I found that MSC offers transfers from the Hmaburg airport to the pier for $43 per person each way.   I added the transfers to my reservation by calling 888-366-1816.   It took two tries, but I now have writen confirmation.    Given that we are talking about MSC, still have my fingers crossed that it works out.

It certainly will. They're usually reliable on providing what they actually sell. Just last Monday or so I learnt from a Portuguese travel blog that MSC is starting to offer a regular cruise+transfer (and sometimes cruise+before or after the cruise stay at a 4* hotel at boarding city+boarding city tour+transfers) offer for selected sailings at selected destinations, maybe Hamburg will be among them and they added you to those transfers. Bring the invoice purchase proof with you.

Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for posting what you found; MSC did not have a list of available transfers when I called last week but we have 30 days yet so will call again.  Please post your experience after your cruise if you can, I'm working on our family of 4 to and from Kiel and want to avoid a train or bus plus taxi route.

I had found a listing for "Hamburg Transfers" as a private transfer service, anyone familiar?  I can't find reviews which makes me nervous but we need to go from center of Hamburg hotel to Kiel and I'd rather not have to go back to the airport. Thanks!

• 10 months later...
On 4/12/2022 at 7:10 PM, lets-cruz said:

Did the MSC transfer that they offered from Hamburg to the Kiel Pier work for you? Please update us. Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, Nikita4 said:

I booked the Transfer from HAM Airport to the ship in Kiel at my TA and used it twice. Its Reallohn comfortable to go to the ship direct from the Airport and took one hour.

6 hours ago, Nikita4 said:

I booked the Transfer from HAM Airport to the ship in Kiel at my TA and used it twice. Its Reallohn comfortable to go to the ship direct from the Airport and took one hour.

Thank you for the information. I will try the MSC number provided in the forum. Was it a bus that you took or some sort of shuttle?

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2023 at 4:40 PM, Nikita4 said:

Yes it was a bus and its a one hour drive to Kiel. There are a lot of people using the MSC service.

Hello! I purchased the transfer from HAM to Kiel port from MSC for Euribia on Saturday, but aside from the voucher, we received zero information.  What time is the bus available and where do you find it at the airport? Thank you for your info!

4 hours ago, So Glad said:

Hello! I purchased the transfer from HAM to Kiel port from MSC for Euribia on Saturday, but aside from the voucher, we received zero information.  What time is the bus available and where do you find it at the airport? Thank you for your info!

Its after 10 am in front of the airport. There are MSC People inside the airport to assist you.

I dont know what MSC is charging, but if anyone want to go from Kiel Train Main Station (Kiel Hbf) to "Ostuferhafen" cheaply, just take Bus "60S" to "Schwentinestraße", pay 2,40 Euro p.P. to the driver and walk 500 meter to the terminal.

If you start from Hamburg Airport, you may use the "Kielius" bus service from Hamburg Airport to "Kiel Hbf" for 22,50 Euro. In total you will save half the price but have to change the bus at Kiel Hbf and have to walk 500 meter.

Edited by LuiK

On 6/8/2023 at 8:29 AM, Nikita4 said:

Its after 10 am in front of the airport. There are MSC People inside the airport to assist you.

Oh I am so relieved! Thank you! When you refer to "in front of the airport", do you mean in front of the building where baggage claim is?