The Daily for Monday 04/04/2022

richwmn

Today is Hug a Newsman Day, Walk Around Things Day, and School Librarian Day

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.--Groucho Marx

Meal Suggestion for today - Pico de Gallo
Drink of the Day - Sqrrl Apple Day
Wine of the Day - G D Vajra 2017 Ravera (Barolo)
Destination of the Day - Safaga, Egypt

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam   Destination Cartagena Colombia
Nieuw Statendam   Destination Port Everglades
Rotterdam   Destination Grand Turk Island,

At Sea Pacific

Zuiderdam   Destination Cabo San Lucas, Ba

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Santa Barbara CA

Koningsdam   08:00 - 17:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Zaandam   Destination Port Everglades eta 4/14

Ensenada, MX

Westerdam  

Freeport, BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Palermo, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

0404World.thumb.png.916f2cebbf27a18a0f484dc07415dde2.png
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 10

Good morning all.  Thanks for the daily report.  Fun collection of days. The quote reminds me of my grandfather who referred to a television as the idiot box.  While I like pico de gallo as a condiment I’m not sure I’d like a meal of it, I’ll wait for the recipes.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on today’s list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 25

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

While I won't hug a newsman, I'll thank them for doing their job.    I'll walk around the neighbourhood with Bertie.  A big thank you to school librarians.

Love the quote.

Not a fan of Pico de Gallo, but maybe all I need is a better recipe.  I'm sure the drink will be tasty, I  hope the wine isn't too expensive.

Another port I have not visited, thanks in advance for all the pictures.

We've got a bit of snow falling this morning, but it's supposed to warm up to 5C this afternoon, so the snow will melt.

Prayers for everyone.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Monday and a wonderful week.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good afternoon.

It is 52°F sunny but windy here in North East England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Interesting days.

I would rather watch the TV than read a book.

I will give the food and drink a miss today.

We have never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone they can help including Ukraine.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220404_115759.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone.

It is a chilly start to the day here in northeast Ohio.  It was 29F when I got up and rain is moving in.  I have an early pool time followed by a CT scan to see if we can finally nail down the source of the pain in my side.  We thought we had it back with physical therapy, but no such luck.  

Pico de Gallo is a great accompaniment to tortilla chips.   I also use it to put over fish before I bake it in the oven.  I'll put the fish (mild white fish) in a baking dish, put the pico de gallo on top, add a few spices to my liking, a few dribbles of olive oil, cover it and throw it in the oven.  40 minutes later I have a one dish meal.  Sometimes I add additional vegetables as well.  It also goes well over an omelet, or over chicken, or over a burrito.  You get the idea.  

Our first recipe comes from Cookie and Kate:  https://cookieandkate.com/classic-pico-de-gallo-recipe/

It is recommended that those who don't like cilantro just leave it out.   This recipe offers suggestions on how to beef it up and other ingredients you can add to it.  

1318764697_PicodeGallo1.thumb.jpg.bfd7442baf890ac8354058087e2da696.jpg

This one offers a slight difference in seasonings and the best part of pico de gallo - the nutritional information.  This is very low in calories and is great for those of us watching carbs.  The chips it goes on aren't so great for that.  Maybe zucchini slices or cucumber slices?   

https://natashaskitchen.com/pico-de-gallo/

1369353427_picodegallo2.thumb.jpg.6829dcc0520b8a2fd03d1cb6a1b442a7.jpg

Now, if you really want to shake things up, you can try a close cousin to pico de gallo:   Cowboy Caviar.   Or find your own in the middle version.   https://natashaskitchen.com/cowboy-caviar-recipe/

Cowboy-Caviar-Salsa-6-600x900.thumb.jpg.a4b2a71f4c285da4ac1c17b4e00c5d79.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members in need.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Cheers for newsmen, especially the real journalists although so many today seem to be focused on what gets clicks or pleases their bosses instead of what is important.  A special salute to School Librarians.  Does my local mall count for walking around things?  Of course, the "thing" I would prefer to walk around is a promenade deck but that won't happen until July (QM2) and November (Eurodam) Love the Marx quote.  Been to Safraga just once, on the Silver Whisper.  Gateway to the Valley of the Kings, Silversea notified me of tour options only after the booking deadline had closed, and there seems to be very little to do around town.  I'll pass on the meal, not being into spicy foods.  My alternative is  Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Key Lime Pie A la Mode as served on MS Zaandam April 4, 2017.

dishes04.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Rosby DH 4/1/22
RIP Lebanon PA Lt. LT William Lebo 3/31/22
Strength for Jacqui
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Tana with persistant pneumonia
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
From the rotation:
.Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A new mission for Volendam
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
kplady already home from knee replacemen
4 days for Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS 4/8 to 4/15)
Bon Voyage GTVCRUISER (Zuiderdam 4/3 to 4/13)
Overhead Fred and  sassy-one (Nieuw Statendam to 4/6),  Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10) and Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10)  at sea
Welcome home Aliaschif, Quartzite Cruiser, NorseH2o, dchip, and Lady Hudson
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 7

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Cheers for newsmen, especially the real journalists although so many today seem to be focused on what gets clicks or pleases their bosses instead of what is important.  A special salute to School Librarians.  Does my local mall count for walking around things?  Of course, the "thing" I would prefer to walk around is a promenade deck but that won't happen until July (QM2) and November (Eurodam) Love the Marx quote.  Been to Safraga just once, on the Silver Whisper.  Gateway to the Valley of the Kings, Silversea notified me of tour options only after the booking deadline had closed, and there seems to be very little to do around town.  I'll pass on the meal, not being into spicy foods.  My alternative is  Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Key Lime Pie A la Mode as served on MS Zaandam April 4, 2017.

dishes04.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Rosby DH 4/1/22
RIP Lebanon PA Lt. LT William Lebo 3/31/22
Strength for Jacqui
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Tana with persistant pneumonia
Buddy still having trouble getting food down despite slow improvement
From the rotation:
.Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A new mission for Volendam
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
kplady already home from knee replacemen
4 days for Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS 4/8 to 4/15)
Bon Voyage GTVCRUISER (Zuiderdam 4/3 to 4/13)
Overhead Fred and  sassy-one (Nieuw Statendam to 4/6),  Vict0riann(4/9) , Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10) and Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10)  at sea
Welcome home Aliaschif, Quartzite Cruiser, NorseH2o, dchip, and Lady Hudson
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's updated lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 13

Good morning.

Thank you to Rich and Roy for the lists.

If i had to hug a news person, it would be Rachel Maddow.  I really miss her since she is on hiatus.  i am walking around my house a lot these days trying to avoid things all over the house until I am ready to get out of here later today.  Librarians are important people

Prayers for Ukraine and everyone on the Cares lists and Cheers to those clelebrating.

Well, the day has arrived.  We will drive to Jacksonville this afternoon and stay overnight. Tomorrow we fly out at 11 am to Miami for a connection to Barcelona.  Completed our Verifly apps this morning and our Spain health forms. We do not need a Covid test to enter Spain but do need to be tested to board the ship.  Oceania requests that we be tested 72 hours prior to boarding and then we will again be tested at the Terminal prior to boarding on April 11.

So everything is ready.  Post Office Supervisor has graciously agreed that our mail will be held beyond 30 days.  Neighbor will watch the house. And we are all packed.  

So there are some last minute things to do and off we go.

I will try to post as I am able along the way.

Take care everyone and stay safe.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is  from my first ever (2013) voyage on Queen Elizabeth, a transatlantic New York to Southampton.  April 4 was more or less in the middle of the Atlantic.

dawn0404.jpg

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another lovely, though chilly morning here. I believe the deer have opened up a day care facility between my neighbor’s and my houses for this year’s fawns. Yesterday two fawns, possibly this year’s twins, spent the entire late morning and early evening there. When it got too sunny, they moved to the shady part of my backyard. Just delightful. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites. Love pico de gallo as a condiment in my grilled chicken egg white wrap sandwiches, and a condiment to any entrée. Aldi offers a great one. Chunky, not mushy.  Good nutrition with few calories. I often add some additional heat. Off to Tai Chi. Then I get my second Moderna booster at Publix tonight. 

7E41267C-D43C-43AE-AC68-B3ADCDF54B71.jpeg.8c73f98bdfec89025470654a8b90fd83.jpeg

741303BB-8F89-4078-9BB3-0FF2E1371413.jpeg.ebec7ce5f04f01c2c143ca6147f1e45a.jpeg

E86B1C60-759B-4D59-9EC5-D5605509BC60.jpeg.5c61312edb9a106e614f60fc6ee4a77c.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

G D Vajra 2017 Ravera

Another amazing wine with excellent - superb ratings. And though not cheap, its price is less than others with similar ratings. Would love to taste this one. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $72.98.

Winemaker Notes

The aromatics of 2017 Barolo Ravera are an intricacy of red tones, with cherry, rose petals, baked raspberry alongside with orange peel, cedar, korla pear and herbal whiffles of mint, lavender, thyme, oolong tea. The palate is characterized by a zing of iron tones and the mid-palate volume that are such a signature of Ravera, with silky tannins and a profound and long finish.

WE97 Wine Enthusiast

From the township of Novello and from what is now widely recognized as one of the denomination's top vineyard sites, this is just stunning, offering intense aromas of wild berries, new leather, floral notes, camphor and grilled herb. The delicious, structured palate shows finesse and power, featuring ripe red cherry, blood orange, cedar, licorice and mineral notes suggesting tangy iron. Noble tannins provide support. Reflecting the vintage, this won't need years to come around but will also age well for at least another decade. Best After 2022

JS96 James Suckling

Very floral with pure fruit, such as cherries and raspberries. It’s full-bodied with ultra fine tannins that are energetic and focused. The center palate shows such wonderful fruit character, yet it’s weightless and energetic.

JD96 Jeb Dunnuck

Lifted and herbaceous, the 2017 Barolo Ravera is noted by aromas of fresh pine, ripe red cherry, licorice, and menthol. The palate has depth without weight and is noted by ripe raspberry fruit, apricot, and black tea.

WS95 Wine Spectator

Notable for its purity of fruit, this Barolo features black cherry, black currant, violet, mineral and tar aromas and flavors. Harmonious and lithe, with an underpinning of mineral that lingers through the dynamic finish. Best from 2025 through 2045.

W&S95 Wine & Spirits

Flavors of crunchy black cherry surround a taut core of cool, ferrous tannin in this powerful wine. Scents of rose petal and notes of licorice add to the wine’s intrigue, the fl avors gaining vibrance with exposure to air. Appealing now for the polished tannins and vibrant fruit, this will only get better over the next decade.

RP94 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The G.D. Vajra 2017 Barolo Ravera shows solid build and consistency, with more rich and saturated fruit compared to the other Barolo releases from this historic estate. The Ravera cru offers broad shoulders with a tight textural fabric. That powerful approach makes a good sounding board for the wine's dark cherry, plum, dark mineral and spice flavors. This is more of a red meat wine. 6,000 bottles were released. Rating:94+

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning.

If i had to hug a news person, it would be Rachel Maddow.  I really miss her since she is on hiatus.  i am walking around my house a lot these days trying to avoid things all over the house until I am ready to get out of here later today.  Librarians are important people

Prayers for Ukraine and everyone on the Cares lists and Cheers to those clelebrating.

Well, the day has arrived.  We will drive to Jacksonville this afternoon and stay overnight. Tomorrow we fly out at 11 am to Miami for a connection to Barcelona.  Completed our Verifly apps this morning and our Spain health forms. We do not need a Covid test to enter Spain but do need to be tested to board the ship.  Oceania requests that we be tested 72 hours prior to boarding and then we will again be tested at the Terminal prior to boarding on April 11.

So everything is ready.  Post Office Supervisor has graciously agreed that our mail will be held beyond 30 days.  Neighbor will watch the house. And we are all packed.  

God Bless,

Terri

I hope you have an amazing cruise in the Mediterranean.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211221_223815.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning.  I walk around my cat daily, she seems to want to be under my feet all the time.  School Librarian's are so important, in my opinion, but many schools are not replacing them as they retire.  Parent's are sometimes picking up the pace.  The Marx quote is so true now, there seems to be nothing on TV.  Many shows are on 3-4 stations all the time.

Will pass on the meal and the price of the wine.....yikes.  Have not been to Egypt, looking forward to the photo's.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Happy homecoming to our disrupted travelers.

Please continue to be safe, use common sense, and wear your mask....protect yourself.

Sqrrl Apple Day:

Ingredients
1 ½ parts SQRRL® Peanut Butter Whiskey
1 ½ parts Apple Cider
¾ part Fresh Lemon Juice
½ part Maple Syrup
Garnish: Fresh Apple Slices, Cinnamon

Instructions
Combine ingredients into an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into rocks glass over fresh ice. Garnish with an apple slice and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 7.51.28 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9

34 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning.

God Bless,

Terri

Safe travels Terri! Hope you & DH have an amazing & memorable trip & cruise! Bon voyage!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Prayers for all in need.  Many people suffering both physically and economically.

Came home to cold and rainy weather.  Got take out for four because of no food in our house - $90 with tip.  Yikes!  Food costs keep escalating.  Chicken tonight for DS’s wedding anniversary.

Our trip ended well.  I was a bit disappointed in the half hour wait for a wheelchair to disembark but other than that it was a smooth departure.  Hearing on that other site that there were more cases of Covid and that crew was not allowed off at Coco Cay because of numbers.  That resulted in a delay for passengers.  Food stations were manned by Independence of the Seas.  Some shows were cancelled and even cruise director was a no show the first week  because of Covid — may have been because of exposure and not actually case.   He was back the second week.

All in all a good trip with increasing numbers of passengers.  No more 40% occupancy!  Katherine 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning  everyone. It is a cool start to the day at 38 but sunny for the time being.We observe walk around day here with two dogs underfoot at times.I love how they  swirl around when we return home with groceries  and packages.

We have not been to the port  and will pass on the recipe today. I am making eggplant parmesean tonight as a special request from DD.She has returned to her office two days a week in lower Manhattan  and wanted something  special upon her return  home tonight. I am happy to oblige.

DSIL goes into his office only once every two weeks.Neither is feeling particularly  good about taking either the train or subway as there have been a lot of different  issues.

Terry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning.

God Bless,

Terri

Bon Voyage!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Maybe I'll take a walk around the golf course while DH plays later today. Librarians are very important yet seem to be a dying profession.

I agree with the quote, but do enjoy being able to watch the older shows such as Bob Newhart and Mary Tyler Moore. Love Debbie's idea/recipe for putting Pico de Gallo on fish.

@Cruzin Terri Terri, wishing you and DH safe and happy travels.

@smitty34877 Terry, adding DD and DSIL to prayer list.

It is a windy and cold, 47, start to our Monday. The sun is supposed to come out and warm things up all the way to 70 by late this afternoon.

Wishing everyone a marvelous Monday. Remember to take care of yourself and each other.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. While I won’t hug a newsman I am in awe of the sometimes very dangerous job they do to get us the news. Librarians are very important because reading is the gateway to so many things. It’s a cold start today but going up to 55.

Sam has his first PT for balance today and I hope he passes the evaluation. It’s a special place that only does balance.

My friend went to Israel for her granddaughters wedding and now she has covid along with the whole family including the groom. The bride had it two weeks ago.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good morning from home and my wonderful recliner. We had an uneventful flight home. Fort Lauderdale airport was an absolute zoo. Between all the storm driven flight delays and thousands of cruisers headed home it was the Perfect Storm!

Good to be home after three weeks of cruising which included our days of confinement! We felt the Rotterdam to feel more crowded then our other two Pinnacle Class ship cruises. I think some of it has to do with their lack of use of the World Stage! Everything just felt overly congested in the Music Walk venues. How many times do we want to see the same dance shows and how long will we have to endure watching the snakes chase down the lizards in Planet Earth?😩 

So today we will start the unpacking process and shop to replenish the pantry and fridge. My Sue will officially retire at the end of this month. After 26 years military service the Colonel is going to retire from her other successful  careers in the civilian sector.Then we will be on the move. Next trip, April 27 we fly to Honolulu and spend three days at the military Hale Koa resort and then we hop over to Kauai for three weeks at our time share villa on Poipu Beach.

Though we have been cleared safe to be around we still have some remaining cold symptoms from Covid. We will continue safe distancing and masking around folks for a few more days.

During our quarantine the Daily was a very special part of our time spent. Thanks to all of you and especially Rich.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3