Cruise from Rome

My final payment is due on Friday for my cruise from Rome but no info on what I need to board. I know I will need my covid certificate but not knowing if I will need a test before boarding. I live in Massachusetts and am having a hard time finding anywhere to get the test and if it will even be needed. If Royal wants the test why can't they supply it at the port free. I have already spent enough on this cruise. How can royal not give us the info we need. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rfs7306 said:

My final payment is due on Friday for my cruise from Rome but no info on what I need to board. I know I will need my covid certificate but not knowing if I will need a test before boarding. I live in Massachusetts and am having a hard time finding anywhere to get the test and if it will even be needed. If Royal wants the test why can't they supply it at the port free. I have already spent enough on this cruise. How can royal not give us the info we need. 

I think it's because they don't know what the protocols will be.  Italy seems to be changing every few weeks...  DCL has adjusted a number of their European sailings final payment date to only 30 days out...

That is 30 days before my cruise. I wish Royal had personal cruise consultants like NCL. I have been on hold for 45 min to wait to see if I can get an answer from someone who I may not be able to understand. Last cruise on Royal for me. Horrible customer service.

• Like 2

Even our Caribbean sailing did not final health protocols listed until about 3 weeks prior to the sailing as they are cruise dependent as well as cruise line rules.  We chose to purchase test kits from eMed for our different travel opportunities this year including Europe.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rfs7306 said:

Emed tests.  On the app when you click on checkin it says what you need.  Also go directly to Italy's covid pages for requirements.   They might have a form to be completed on arrival.   We're on the Jewel TA and for each of our stops this is what we had to.  Remember it's not just what Royal requires to board but also what you need to arrive in Italy.   

30 minutes ago, rfs7306 said:

Have you checked your Roll Call? I find people are very helpful with info, especially International sailings.

Also at top of Royal Website, there is a link to protocols.

Everybody, even from the US, still needs to test before boarding. That hasn’t and probably won’t change for a while.

Edited by crzndeb

I'm in the same boat, possibly literally.  (May 12th, FYI) I think the holdup is Italy's requirements.  Italy was supposed to have dropped their state of Emergency on March 31st, and while they have, they haven't rescinded all restrictions yet.  More restrictions should be dropped by April 30th, which is just too close to call for me.  So for now, I look at the current requirements as a worst-case-scenario.  Like someone said above, for a test, I would use the eMed tests.  They're quick and all you need is wifi and a device with a camera.  I'll be using a laptop, since I plan on bringing my work comp with me anyway (just in case I can't get home due to a positive covid test.) Also, I think RC is waiting to see if USA will drop or change testing requirements to re-enter.  That may affect their protocols, too.  Regardless, RCCL has said they will provide updated protocols within 30 days of sailing.

Also, I DO know how frustrating waiting on hold for like an hour (or more!) can be.  But please remember to be kind to your rep; they're doing their job and telling you what is available.  They have no power to change the protocols, nor can they tell you something that isn't known.  At best, they can elaborate and explain what is known and perhaps tell you a guess as to when to call back for more info.  It's also not their fault that they are understaffed...they DID show up to work; remember that. 🙂

Edited by kayjaypea42
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, rfs7306 said:

If I do a proctored test on Sat. will it be accepted to board on Mon.

Yes.  I'm also cruising from Rome, but in early June.  I've done two U.S. sailings in the last 7 weeks, and the proctored tests done with the emed site/Navica app have worked great. I'm bringing some with me to Rome since I'm spending 5 days there prior to my sailing.  And as others have said, protocols can change at any time.  Flexibility is needed.  Royal has no control over what another country may decide to require.  That is why their reps truly can't help. Since no sailings have happened in Europe yet for this season, there's a whole lot of us waiting to see how it all plays out.  

• Like 2