No more COVID tests?

LindaJ+

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

I  would get a test beforehand weather it's required or not just to know that you don't have covid 

The difference is you can do a free (US mails 8 per household) or cheap home test ($9.99-19.99 at the pharmact) instead of a lab admistered or online proctored covid test ($79) if it isn't required I checked. If you have to pay for a lab administered test costs for testing at an airport ranged from $75 to $250 depending on type of test and airport location. Is rather use one of the government provided free tests than pay for a specific approved travel mandated test. 

• Like 2

Four days ago our boarding pass stated a preboarding negative test was required, I checked today and

that has been removed from the pass. We are so relieved, imagine flying to Europe and being denied boarding, having no symptoms, and even wondering if it was a false positive.  Yes, the situation is very fluid, as it has been all along.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cdwise said:

The difference is you can do a free (US mails 8 per household) or cheap home test ($9.99-19.99 at the pharmact) instead of a lab admistered or online proctored covid test ($79) if it isn't required I checked. If you have to pay for a lab administered test costs for testing at an airport ranged from $75 to $250 depending on type of test and airport location. Is rather use one of the government provided free tests than pay for a specific approved travel mandated test. 

Here CVS does rapid that are paid for by insurance, do you have access to a CVS? Also, some urgent care or Drs offices do them & if you have insurance they are no charge. 

I have a HAL cruise coming up in 30 days.  I am cruising Alaska through Vancouver.  I just called HAL and the representative stated that I no longer need a negative test to enter Canada, or get off the ship after returning to Canada.  I do however need a negative test to get on the ship in Vancouver???? What kind of sense does that make.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LadderCo2 said:

I have a HAL cruise coming up in 30 days.  I am cruising Alaska through Vancouver.  I just called HAL and the representative stated that I no longer need a negative test to enter Canada, or get off the ship after returning to Canada.  I do however need a negative test to get on the ship in Vancouver???? What kind of sense does that make.

It is the Canadian gov't requiring the test to board a ship. It IS NOT the HAL requirement...they are just passing that on. Discussed on this thread and elsewhere.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Here CVS does rapid that are paid for by insurance, do you have access to a CVS? Also, some urgent care or Drs offices do them & if you have insurance they are no charge. 

CVS has cancelled a lot of covid testing appointments people have made for cruises (36 between two different boards for our soon to sail cruise) and other travel. Others have been told 36 hour turn around Othersa few have gotten to CBS and we're required to check into the "Minute Clinic" for a full coincidence appointment with co-pays or if no insurance $150. A free test as home to satisfy yourself you won't be spreading covid.  

Edited by cdwise
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

FYI, looks like the testing requirement is back on the website for European cruises.

Yes, the update was 7 April - complimentary test at the terminal during check in. Masks required indoors and outdoors if you can't socially distance except when eating or drinking. https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-europe.html

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Nang said:

Yes, the update was 7 April - complimentary test at the terminal during check in. Masks required indoors and outdoors if you can't socially distance except when eating or drinking. https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-europe.html

Very sensible since Europe has had very high number of cases. No doubt, that's the advise given by the experts. 👍

• Like 2

Friends just got off the Rotterdam last week. They said the ship was crowded. Unsupervised kids and little or no masking. Six days later they have both tested positive. Nice to think that it's over, better to act like it's not.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nang said:

Have you ever seen a woman become bald from literally pulling her hair out?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fred321 said:

Friends just got off the Rotterdam last week. They said the ship was crowded. Unsupervised kids and little or no masking. Six days later they have both tested positive. Nice to think that it's over, better to act like it's not.

Even better to know that it will never be 'over', but will always be with us. And understanding this, act responsibly, use common sense, and move on with our lives.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fred321 said:

We were on that cruise. Besides hubby and I, very few were masked. It was like the”masks recommended” signs didn’t do any good to so many or they didn’t care. Hubby tested positive two days ago and so far I am ok. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SusieO said:

We were on that cruise. Besides hubby and I, very few were masked. It was like the”masks recommended” signs didn’t do any good to so many or they didn’t care. Hubby tested positive two days ago and so far I am ok. 

Are you saying he got it even though he wore a mask?

• Like 3

On 4/8/2022 at 11:39 AM, opa&oma said:

Have you ever seen a woman become bald from literally pulling her hair out?

16 hours ago, opa&oma said:

Are you saying he got it even though he wore a mask?

We didn’t wear a mask 24/7 because we had to eat/drink. We were in Club Orange and other dining locals. I am only speculating that he probably was exposed on the ship as it normally takes 2 to 5 days to show symptoms. 

53 minutes ago, SusieO said:

We didn’t wear a mask 24/7 because we had to eat/drink. We were in Club Orange and other dining locals. I am only speculating that he probably was exposed on the ship as it normally takes 2 to 5 days to show symptoms. 

You're right... entirely speculation that he was exposed on the ship. In reality, the exposure could have occurred in a number of places. Traveling from Wisconsin to and from the ship the; busy crowded airports, crowded flights, hotel etc. are all hot spots for COVID-19 exposure. And it's 2-14 days for symptoms to appear, not 2-5 days.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

Where is the best place to get covid test 1 or 2 days before embarkation? Is the result instant?

I live in Southern California btw

Your question is a bit vague, and really depends on several variables, but I'd try CVS in your area first, and see if they have any appointments available. If not, then there are  many other options.

Sailing one way from Boston to Montreal next month. 

Does HAL really provide covid test on last day bc our home country (US) requires it right now?

Have called HAL and have not received a direct answer.

Edited by scoochy12

15 minutes ago, scoochy12 said:

Sailing one way from Boston to Montreal next month. 

Does HAL really provide covid test on last day bc our home country (US) requires it right now?

Have called HAL and have not received a direct answer.

Yes.

On 4/6/2022 at 10:36 AM, Sandifer said:

Sorry but I am still a little confused and need advice.  I will be arriving at Vancouver from Miami on May 4 for a cruise leaving on May 7. I’m fully vaccinated but I assume I need a negative COVID test to be done in Vancouver. How do I find testing sites in Vancouver and are they costly?

Look up Don's Family Vacations on You Tube. He has great videos on the Canada aspects of cruising. He is Canadian and has over 151,000 subsribers.

• Like 1