SITKA HELP

Lorey2007

We'll be Sitka late August none of the ship excursions fit us.  We are seniors late 70's would like to go to Fortress of Bears and Eagle Center & shop & look around town.  After we take the shuttle to town are there taxi 's,  city bus or other transportation that we can take?  There are some small tour companies with vans but they are difficult to get in and out of and it seems we are always having to crawl to the back. Any information will be helpful.

Sitka is so easy to DIY.  When you take the shuttle in from the cruise dock to downtown Sitka you will be dropped off at the Harrigan Center in downtown.  In front of the Harrigan Center there will be various vendors offering excursions for purchase.  I have seen offerings for a combination tour to both the Fortress of the Bears and the Alaska Raptor Center.  

Check the Sitka visitor's bureau website as you may find specific companies to contact on that website.  It is listed in the thread at the top of this page titled "2019 resources ....."

1 hour ago, Lorey2007 said:

We'll be Sitka late August none of the ship excursions fit us.  We are seniors late 70's would like to go to Fortress of Bears and Eagle Center & shop & look around town.  After we take the shuttle to town are there taxi 's,  city bus or other transportation that we can take?  There are some small tour companies with vans but they are difficult to get in and out of and it seems we are always having to crawl to the back. Any information will be helpful.

We will be in in Sitka in June - We are also a couple of late 70's seniors - who want to see the Fortress of the Bears and the Eagle Center - not too keen on the big bus's offered by the ships - so have now booked a private tour (to go to just those 2 "attractions") for 3 hours - Baranof Taxi and Tours - in their mini-bus - much easier to get in and out of - you might take a look at them - other tour operators want to take you to the Totem Poles - which we have no interest in - plus 3 hours is about our max time for a tour. 

How’s your mobility? When we went to Sitka, we walked through the Sitka National Forest (not very strenuous) all the way to the Alaska Raptor Center (which we toured on our own). On the return, we walked a different way right through downtown Sitka where we shopped, toured St Michael’s Cathedral, and did a bit of sightseeing before returning to the ship. It was a super easy day with no need for an organized excursion. 

28 minutes ago, Tapi said:

How’s your mobility? When we went to Sitka, we walked through the Sitka National Forest (not very strenuous) all the way to the Alaska Raptor Center (which we toured on our own). On the return, we walked a different way right through downtown Sitka where we shopped, toured St Michael’s Cathedral, and did a bit of sightseeing before returning to the ship. It was a super easy day with no need for an organized excursion. 

Thank you that is most likely to much walking for DH. He had ankle replacement last fall no more pain but he is slower than a turtle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Check their website but I believe Fortress of the Bears is closed.

Taxis are readily available in Sitka. We used a taxi to visit both these locations on one of our Sitka visits and it was very easy. Both are well worth the visit - especially Fortress of the Bears. If you have time I also recommend the New Archangel Dancers show - it is near the dock so easy to work in before you return to your ship and you can buy tickets right there at the venue. Sitka is a wonderful port - we are visiting again this year as well and I'm so looking forward to going back. Enjoy!

3 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Taxis are readily available in Sitka. We used a taxi to visit both these locations on one of our Sitka visits and it was very easy. Both are well worth the visit - especially Fortress of the Bears. If you have time I also recommend the New Archangel Dancers show - it is near the dock so easy to work in before you return to your ship and you can buy tickets right there at the venue. Sitka is a wonderful port - we are visiting again this year as well and I'm so looking forward to going back. Enjoy!

Does the taxi drop you off at the Fortress? Are there taxi's after your visit or do you call one?

Just now, Lorey2007 said:

Does the taxi drop you off at the Fortress? Are there taxi's after your visit or do you call one?

Yes, the taxi will drop you off there. You will need to call when you are ready for a pick up.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.  After considering them all and doing some more research we finally booked a tour with Sitka Wildlife tours which goes to the Fortress, Rapture center and to see a few other quick things. The cost was quite reasonable, and I was able to contact the owner and she reassured me the guide would get us in the front row of the van, we'll see how that goes.

I will now be researching Victoria BC we will only be there from 6pm-10pm and we most likely wouldn't be getting off the ship any earlier than 6:30. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks again and happy cruising.  

• Like 1

Lorey:  I am glad you have already booked.  An acquaintance grew up in Sitka and was there during the Christmas holiday to spend time with family.  The dock north of town has been expanded, and according to him the town has been holding planning meetings to discuss how to handle the number of cruise passengers they may now host.

In Victoria, which we have been to on business (me), land vacation (husband and me) and as a cruise port call we now generally walk down to the Bard and Banker Scottish Pub.  But that is too much walking for someone with an ankle issue.  One option which I've always considered is an open horse drawn carriage tour.  Some pick up (or at least did in the past) right at the cruise terminal.

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

Lorey:  I am glad you have already booked.  An acquaintance grew up in Sitka and was there during the Christmas holiday to spend time with family.  The dock north of town has been expanded, and according to him the town has been holding planning meetings to discuss how to handle the number of cruise passengers they may now host.

In Victoria, which we have been to on business (me), land vacation (husband and me) and as a cruise port call we now generally walk down to the Bard and Banker Scottish Pub.  But that is too much walking for someone with an ankle issue.  One option which I've always considered is an open horse drawn carriage tour.  Some pick up (or at least did in the past) right at the cruise terminal.

Yes the horse drawn carriage is on my list to look omto this week

We were on Navigator OTS last week of February the ship only had 1700 passengers. I'm expecting Ovation to be at full capacity.

1 minute ago, Lorey2007 said:

Yes the horse drawn carriage is on my list to look into this week

We were on Navigator OTS last week of February the ship only had 1700 passengers. I'm expecting Ovation to be at full capacity.

On 4/6/2022 at 4:19 PM, Lorey2007 said:

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.  After considering them all and doing some more research we finally booked a tour with Sitka Wildlife tours which goes to the Fortress, Rapture center and to see a few other quick things. The cost was quite reasonable, and I was able to contact the owner and she reassured me the guide would get us in the front row of the van, we'll see how that goes.

I will now be researching Victoria BC we will only be there from 6pm-10pm and we most likely wouldn't be getting off the ship any earlier than 6:30. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks again and happy cruising.  

We toured with Sitka Wildlife tours in August 2019 and really enjoyed our experience. We did the Premium tour.

We've spent time in Victoria, but not as a cruise stop. The best attraction, of course, is Butchart Gardens ... I suggest taking the ship excursion if offered. 

I agree about the short time and I wouldn't recommend Butchart to someone with mobility issues. It's beautiful, but too much walking.

The first time I went was with a ship's tour. They were so emphatic about being back at the bus on time that I spent too much time worrying about how far I was from the parking lot. The second time, I went independently with CVS, which (at the time) offered multiple bus times. SO much more relaxing. Now it seems CVS locks you into a specific arrival and departure time, just like the cruiseline tour.

Edited to add that the Raptor Center is wonderful, not only for what you see but for the work they do. There's a raptor center near me, and when I mentioned to the founder that we were going to Sitka, he said absolutely to go there and said they're one of the best he knew of. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

On 4/10/2022 at 9:15 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

There's a raptor center near me, and when I mentioned to the founder that we were going to Sitka, he said absolutely to go there and said they're one of the best he knew of. 

I was on a boat tour from Sitka with someone who was on the board of a bird rescue center back home, and the director there made an arrangement for her to have an insider's tour of the Sitka raptor center. She said it was enlightening because they received so many more raptors than her center did.

I'll second the recommendation for Sitka Wildlife Tours. It's locally owned and operated with all local staff. Yes the Nissan vans they use are smaller, but it should be easier to navigate that the steps on the bus you will need to take from the cruise dock. I'd give them a call to discuss your needs and I suspect they will work something out for you. At a minimum, they could hold you seats in front so you don't need to "crawl back". Maybe they have some better options, but give them a call. They are great people that truly want you to have the best experience in Sitka.

1 hour ago, kennystwin said:

I'll second the recommendation for Sitka Wildlife Tours. It's locally owned and operated with all local staff. Yes the Nissan vans they use are smaller, but it should be easier to navigate that the steps on the bus you will need to take from the cruise dock. I'd give them a call to discuss your needs and I suspect they will work something out for you. At a minimum, they could hold you seats in front so you don't need to "crawl back". Maybe they have some better options, but give them a call. They are great people that truly want you to have the best experience in Sitka.

Thanks see my post #12 above I have it reserved & they were very helpful.

I’m so glad that so many have had a great excursion with Sitka Wildlife Tours. We’ve been trying to get on an Alaska cruise for 3 years now. We originally booked with Rhonda and Bruce before Covid hit and our cruise was cancelled. They were so quick to refund our money. Such a stand-up operation. I can’t wait to meet them next month when we board the Eurodam with 18 in my group. I anticipate this to be the highlight of our cruise!