Cruise Critic Sailing Aboard Pride of America 4/9 - Ask Us Your Questions

9 hours ago, tupperstamper said:

We are finally underway. Only about an hour and a half late. I asked a crew member why we were late and he said they had to wait for corporate to leave the ship.

The crew member may have been mistaken: waiting for a Corporate person(s) to board.  I know that there is at least Corporate person on board to bring Her out.  There is probably more than one.  No, I am not saying Corporate who.

7 hours ago, www3traveler said:

The crew member may have been mistaken: waiting for a Corporate person(s) to board.  I know that there is at least Corporate person on board to bring Her out.  There is probably more than one.  No, I am not saying Corporate who.

Maybe it’s just me, but if you are correct I think that was a selfish move. Everyone onboard was likely on deck and excited for sail away. Making them wait 1.5 hours for corporate to saunter onboard seems entitled. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Maybe it’s just me, but if you are correct I think that was a selfish move. Everyone onboard was likely on deck and excited for sail away. Making them wait 1.5 hours for corporate to saunter onboard seems entitled. 

Remember that they came from Miami.  Probably had connection issues along with hundreds of other people.  A crew member on a nother ship had to make connections at Miami, he reported that it was extremely busy with Spring Break and Easter travels.  His connecting flight to New Orleans was delayed coming out of Miami.

3 minutes ago, Bocadude85 said:

For those asking about how many people are onboard the POA, she is sailing at 50% capacity as agreed upon by NCL and the port of Honolulu. 

Thank you  Prayers that this cruise goes well for possengers and staff as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Kanaha Beach is absolutely worth visiting for the kite surfing (not to be confused with kahana lol). This beach had a problem w/ homeless last year to the point ir was not recommended for tourists but I’ve been there several times this year and it’s very much cleaned up.  I make this a stop each time I pick someone up and drop them off at the airport.

I can’t think of anything else of interest near the port. It’s industrial. Maybe silversweet has better ideas. 

We drove down to Kahului this afternoon to make sure the POA is here, and it is docked where it always goes in Kahului Harbor.  The pedestrian walkway starts at Wharf Street, a very short little street opposite Maui Mall.  As far as what there is for visitors to do around Kahului, the most honest answer is that, as mentioned, it is a commercial/industrial area that is not tourist oriented.  Rent a car or take a tour to see what Maui is really like.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bocadude85 said:

For those asking about how many people are onboard the POA, she is sailing at 50% capacity as agreed upon by NCL and the port of Honolulu. 

What??  Was this "agreement" reported?  Why would the port or NCL want to cap capacity at 50%?

On 4/9/2022 at 2:20 AM, 4 cruisers said:

Thank you for your great info!  It looks like we don’t tender into Lahaina.  I had to get a bus transfer…around $60 per person!🙄.  I was thinking about taking the ferry to Molokai…is it’s schedule reliable?

The ferry to Molokai stopped running around 2010.  The ferry broke down and Maui County decided not to expense the funds to fix it.   It was an old vessel.  The ferry to Lanai still runs reliably and is much nicer. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What??  Was this "agreement" reported?  Why would the port or NCL want to cap capacity at 50%?

Yes the agreement was reported in our local news. I’m sure it’s the state and not NCL that wants the 50% capacity limit for the time being, we are just now starting to get back to normal here in Hawaii. 

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/ncl-pride-of-america-returns-to-interisland-cruises/

Edited by Bocadude85
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

My husband and I are not surprised.  Our Alaska cruise with NCL “important people” was not impressive.😌

4 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Remember that they came from Miami.  Probably had connection issues along with hundreds of other people.  A crew member on a nother ship had to make connections at Miami, he reported that it was extremely busy with Spring Break and Easter travels.  His connecting flight to New Orleans was delayed coming out of Miami.

Seriously?!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4 cruisers said:

What happened to Aaron?

I'm here! It's been a busy couple of days, with lots to see and do.

To answer some questions: I hear the ship is at roughly 50 percent capacity, which is to be expected on these initial runs back.

I have to say: Pride of America has never looked better. All balcony doors/windows have been completely replaced with new ones. Railings are now plexiglass instead of the old steel variety, and teak decking/railings have been largely replaced with synthetic materials that, to be honest, look better and are more durable.

Interior fit and finish is quite good - new carpets throughout, and more subdued decor than the ship was originally fitted with. Corridors have been substantially improved with more muted colors and new signage. The ship just looks very crisp and clean throughout.

As to Maui: There's not a lot to do around the port. We rented a car for one day from an airport rental location, and enjoyed it so much we're doing so again tomorrow (I'm travelling with my wife and infant daughter, so transportation options are rather limited).

Shore excursion options are certainly available in every port, but they may not always be to your liking. Prices are expensive compared with the Caribbean, but are on-par with other U.S. destinations like Alaska. Think $100 per person and up for most excursions. Our one-day rental car, on the other hand, with infant car seat, came to $85.

Despite the reduced capacity, the ship still feels lively and most passengers are enjoying themselves.

Embarkation was the easiest and calmest I've experienced.

I'll have more to report soon! In the meantime, keep the questions coming and thanks to all those jumping in with equally helpful answers!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CruiseCriticAaron said:

I have to say: Pride of America has never looked better. All balcony doors/windows have been completely replaced with new ones. Railings are now plexiglass instead of the old steel variety, and teak decking/railings have been largely replaced with synthetic materials that, to be honest, look better and are more durable.

Can you attach a picture of the cabin balconies if you get a chance?  Thanks!

Love the new carpet in the corridors but I may miss the little fish swimming toward the bow.  😁 Thank you so much for the photos and updates, Aaron.  She looks beautiful.  Really enjoying following along! ❤️

Edited by NikiPinkston
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The reduced capacity  is just for the initial voyages. Frank Del Rio also confirmed ncl policy would be reduced capacity for ships returning to service at the earnings call last fall (although then it was 60%). Princess, Carnival, and Hal have been back here for a few months with no mention of a port initiated restriction. 

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/04/10/inter-island-cruises-return-with-added-safeguards-prevent-covid-outbreaks/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Magnetchief said:

I'm hearing wait times of 1 1/2 hours to be seated for dinner. Is this correct?

Wouldn't surprise me.  We did POA in 2017 and it had by far the worst staff of any NCL ship I've been on.  And that's when they had a full staff, so I can't imagine it when they're shorthanded.