Do you read cruise magazines?

Bill-Squared

As a rookie cruiser, I know I've learned so much from this board and the wisdom of those who are "seasoned." But I was wondering if a subscription to a cruise magazine (I assume there are some) might also be helpful.

Do you read cruise magazines?

Why or why not?

Which do you think is the best? Which one(s) could be avoided?

Thanks!

I have read many cruise mag. in the past...but lately have been getting all my information from the internet...I think if I was planning a really expensive extensive trip I would resort to the magazines, because you can always reference them and they are very reliable, not like public opinion, but in general I'm lazy and the web is the easy way!

I read just about all the travel mags there are(perks of working at Barnes and Noble--its my lunchtime fix from reality)......

But for the most info you want,I agree,the internet and esp sites like this one!!

(Morning Marcia!:p )

I get Cruise Travel but frankly I don't think I will renew this time. It seems like most of the articles are about cruises I would never go on- sailing ships, trips to the Far East, things like that. I think that in order to provide something new each time they start to reach a bit. It is also a very thin mag.

I really love Budget Travel, however, Now this is a magazine you can sink your teeth into. There are frequent cruising/cruise port articles and a lot of money saving tips from people I can identify with.

I have subscribed to Cruise Travel and Porthole magazines for many years. I prefer Cruise Travel a little more. I wish though when each magazine does a writeup on a particular ship that they wrote a more balanced review. It seems that they tend to focus on all of the positives of a particular ship and cruise line which is nice, but sometimes it would be helpful to hear the good and the bad.

Quite frankly, I really get more from reading cruise critic and while it's not a magazine each year I will pick up a copy of the Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising Book which provides a two to three page writeup on each cruise ship and find it very informative.

Keith

I have perused cruise mags from time to time, but find I have learned so much and have been able to get any questions answered on these boards and the informational material offered on CC and a few other cruise websites. I have found CC to be the easiest and most consistent boards of all I have seen. People are so willing to share their knowledge and experiences, and there is rarely snideness (?word?) or negativity toward newbies or "dumb questions". There are occassional conflicts between posters, but you can find that anywhere. And the moderators watch for that to keep it under control.

I DO request literature from tourism boards from the places I will be visiting on the cruises (ie. for my recent Hawaiian cruise, I used the internet to get material from each of the islands we were scheduled for). That helps me decide what I want to see and that helps me choose excursions.

By looking at info on more than one cruise website, I can get different reviews of ships and ports, which I feel gives me more balanced info to work with.

Bottom line - I feel CC is the Best site

I've subscribed to Cruise Travel for at least 18 years. I still have every issue. I like to go go back and read reviews of ships that we are planning on going on. I also like some of the articles on the ports. I just discovered CC in December and it has been a big help for our Med cruise this May.

Archived