Getting off one ship in Fort Lauderdale and getting on an other the same day.

benjoon

This has probably been asked before but I couldn’t find anything.

We are doing a transatlantic cruise next October on the Silhouette. We are coming from Australia and have decided to book the Reflection the day we finish the transatlantic. What is the best way to get from one ship to the next? 

We were thinking out best bet was a taxi from pier to pier.

Has anyone done this before? 

We have a terrible long flight to get home from the US as we live on the West coast of Australia. This is why we are trying to make the most of our time in the US.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks

Yes that would be the best way. Because it’s a small distance and the fact that the taxi would have waited for a while to get your fare,  I’d offer the pay the driver what they normally would have earned ($20)  to go to the airport.  

• Like 3

We did this once in FLL going from a Royal Caribbean ship (Harmony) to a Celebrity ship (Edge).  We arranged transportation at Guest Services on board.  They had a shuttle.  It was free (but a tip to the driver).  

• Like 1

We did this on our last cruise in 2020 when there was construction and not safe to walk between.  We took a taxi; at first when we told the taxi driver where we were going he said no way.  I went to the port person in charge of the taxi area and asked how we could get to the other port, they came back and made the taxi take us.  It was an uncomfortable trip but we did tip the driver very well.

I’ve done this several times. Once Celebrity provided transportation and once I used a taxi and once I walked as the ships were next to each other. Ask at Guest Relations if they have free transportation. The taxi has a minimum fare.

My guess is that one of the ships will dock at Pier 25 and the other at Pier 29.  Pier 25 is the one that was renovated for Edge, and it is right across the street from a parking garage, now named the Palm Parking Garage.  It is the same garage that is used for Pier 29.  Shuttle service is provided from the garage to Pier 29.  You should be able to disembark from the ship docked at 25, walk across the street to the parking garage and get on the shutle to Pier 29.    If your first ship docks at 29, then you can take the shuttle to the garage and then walk across the street to Pier 25.

https://www.porteverglades.net/cruise/parking/

• Like 1

Seems like your transport question was answered with a few options. BUT, have you solved the issue of a new covid test before boarding your next cruise? Will you test on board before disembarking, or something else?

20 hours ago, XuGator said:

Do people really still use taxis? Order up an uber / lyft when you disembark. It will be a few bucks to take you to the next ship.

I used one last time because even the app said it would take 22 minutes for a car to arrive and usually the app is rather generous with the estimates. Taxi was right there and the ride to the airport was half the price than what UBER quoted me.

In the OP's case I agree he should take Uber/Lyft because it avoids arguments with the cab drivers and excessive tips. He will have more than sufficient time. In fact it might even be a bit too much time. I'd also ask Guest Relations the day before disembarkation if there is any ground transfer option.

OP: Keep in mind that to board the new ship you will need a new Antigen Test. I would coordinate that with Guest Relations because usually they do test guests that are B2B onboard the day before arrival. Not sure how they do this when different X ships are involved. Worst case use the test station available post disembarkation or the eMED proctored test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

OP: Keep in mind that to board the new ship you will need a new Antigen Test. I would coordinate that with Guest Relations because usually they do test guests that are B2B onboard the day before arrival. Not sure how they do this when different X ships are involved. Worst case use the test station available post disembarkation or the eMED proctored test.

Since it is a Royal Caribbean Group ship to RCG ship, jsut a matter of registering at Guest Relations.  We did Summit to Reflection in December.  On embarkation day, I went to GR on Summit to register for the testing.  I had to provide my Reservation ID for my second cruise.  They had me fill out a form on an iPad and then the day before I was given a time and place to show up for the antigen test.  No charge.  They treated it just like a B2B.  Just that I was going to another ship in the fleet.