NEXUS Update - Interviews

Fouremco

This email received today is not terribly encouraging for Canadians. Why the Canadian enrolment centres remain closed is a bit of a mystery.

Ā 

Dear NEXUS Member,

We are pleased to inform you thatĀ NEXUSĀ interviews will resume at enrolment centres in the United States (US)Ā on April 19, 2022. Applicants wishing to schedule interviews can now do so at their nearest US enrolment centre through theĀ Trusted Traveller Programs system.Ā NEXUS enrolment centres in Canada continue to be closed.

Ā 

Existing NEXUS members should renew their membership online before the expiry date to retain their membership privileges.

Please note that you need to beĀ fully vaccinatedĀ to enter the US. Prior to returning to Canada, you must submit your information intoĀ ArriveCAN,Ā including your proof of vaccination.

Sincerely,

Travellers Policy and Programs Directorate
Canada Border Services Agency

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

Yes! I was able to book our interviews. We were able to secure two interviews in Niagara the first weekend in June. I checked again today and it looks like most sites are completely booked.Ā 

There were bookings available in Canada, but very far out.

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 6.26.04 PM.png

Received the email this morning hubby has been waiting to rebook since original appointment was cancelled.Ā  No appointments at Blaine and it was supposed to open for booking April 5th website says they are still closed.

Ā 

• Like 1

One of the groups my daughter belongs to someone said they were able to book an appointment April 3rd for sometime in May.Ā  I was on their website within minutes of receiving the email this morning and nothing to end of 2023.Ā  I gave up then.Ā  Not sure if or where the Nexus office is at LAX but we are flying the end of the month read it can be done anywhere if it is conditionally approved which it has been for a year.Ā  We are flying domestically though in the US but just maybe we can get it done there.

Consider ourselves lucky perhaps, no interviews. Ā Both DW and I renewed Nexus this year and new cards (and new card sleeves) within 3 weeks. Ā Her card was renewed exactly 1 year after her expiry and on her birthday, good for 6 years. Ā Mine was renewed after expiry but before birthday, good for 5 years. Ā Friends are also waiting for interviews. Ā Not sure what triggers the interview.

11 minutes ago, ken_ll said:

Consider ourselves lucky perhaps, no interviews. Ā Both DW and I renewed Nexus this year and new cards (and new card sleeves) within 3 weeks. Ā Her card was renewed exactly 1 year after her expiry and on her birthday, good for 6 years. Ā Mine was renewed after expiry but before birthday, good for 5 years. Ā Friends are also waiting for interviews. Ā Not sure what triggers the interview.

I understand that any change in your personal data when renewing can lead to an interview. So if you changed your name, marital status, employment, address, etc., it could lead to an interview.

Good morning! My hubby and I are first time applicants for Nexus. We have booked interviews for June for Niagara Falls. I was a bit confused with a few things I was reading and was hoping you guys could help me out. I know in the US they use finger scans and in Canada we are/were using iris scans and a few articles mentioned that we are starting facial recognition. I know with Covid hitting, that probably delayed the process. Can someone tell me, are we still using iris scans or have we transitioned into facial recognition? I'm asking since I'm wondering, should we be booking our appointment at a location that offers iris scans rather than interviewing in the US and then having to have our scans done down the road in Canada. Thanks so much in advance šŸ™‚

Washington state and Vancouver have zero appointments available.Ā  For some reason the west coast is always a bunch of steps behind.Ā  Ā Why is it so hard - and why on earth can't Canada get the Nexus centres up and running for appointments.Ā  Ā Seriously.Ā  Both my kids have to go for an interview so they can get an updated photo... it's so frustrating.Ā  My eldest son's Nexus was conditionally approved two years ago - had an appointment in December and then they closed the border again for Omicron.Ā  Ā  Stupid covid.Ā  Ā 

1 hour ago, polkadottedladiebugg said:

Good morning! My hubby and I are first time applicants for Nexus. We have booked interviews for June for Niagara Falls. I was a bit confused with a few things I was reading and was hoping you guys could help me out. I know in the US they use finger scans and in Canada we are/were using iris scans and a few articles mentioned that we are starting facial recognition. I know with Covid hitting, that probably delayed the process. Can someone tell me, are we still using iris scans or have we transitioned into facial recognition? I'm asking since I'm wondering, should we be booking our appointment at a location that offers iris scans rather than interviewing in the US and then having to have our scans done down the road in Canada. Thanks so much in advance šŸ™‚

This link should provide some clarity:Ā https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/enrol-inscrire-eng.html

Ā 

The fingerprints are taken to facilitate criminal records checks, whereas the iris scan (and possibly facial recognition in future) is used to verify your identity when entering Canada or the US. The US also takes iris scans, so book wherever you can get an interview the soonest and don't worry about the biometrics.Ā 

Iris scan has been gone since at least 2020, replaced with facial recognition on the Canadian side.

Ā 

When I first got Nexus back in 2016 or 2017, the US had already phased out their use of iris scans and Nexus specific kiosks in favour of having Nexus holders use the Global Entry kiosks that used fingerprints instead (which is why the US enrolment centres got rid of their iris scanners).

Ā 

I believe the US side has either already transitioned or is in the process of transitioning to facial recognition as well. But they still take your fingerprints at the interview for record checks etc.

Ā 

The website links that still mention iris scans are relics of the past, the page someone posted above for example was last updated in 2009, lots has changed since then.Ā 

Edited by cmich068
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Sprocket said:

Received the email this morning hubby has been waiting to rebook since original appointment was cancelled.Ā  No appointments at Blaine and it was supposed to open for booking April 5th website says they are still closed.

Ā 

Blain is showing some availability right now! Must be cancellations. Hope you can grab it!Ā 

3D335CC3-AEBF-4FF2-B35F-55FEF564FB1C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cmich068 said:

Iris scan has been gone since at least 2020, replaced with facial recognition on the Canadian side.

Ā 

When I first got Nexus back in 2016 or 2017, the US had already phased out their use of iris scans and Nexus specific kiosks in favour of having Nexus holders use the Global Entry kiosks that used fingerprints instead (which is why the US enrolment centres got rid of their iris scanners).

Ā 

I believe the US side has either already transitioned or is in the process of transitioning to facial recognition as well. But they still take your fingerprints at the interview for record checks etc.

Ā 

The website links that still mention iris scans are relics of the past, the page someone posted above for example was last updated in 2009, lots has changed since then.Ā 

You are quite right, I misspoke in my earlier post. While they were still using iris scans when I renewed in 2018, I now recall getting a notification of the switch to facial recognition in late 2019. I'm surprised that CBSA hasn't update its website.

12 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I'm surprised that CBSA hasn't update its website.

Ā 

Are you, though? Ā šŸ™ƒ

Ā 

Also, I have absolutely no recollection of a notification of the switch so youā€™re one step ahead of me. Ā 

• Haha 2

On 4/7/2022 at 4:33 PM, Sprocket said:

Ā 

I was able to get an interview today at Blaine for July 6

• Like 1

I was able to make an appointment right on April 5 for April 19 at the Pembina North Dakota location. I just checked now and it's all booked up too. We're going to Vegas May 8, so hopefully we get our cards in time!Ā šŸ¤ž