Booking first ever prince's cruise ( from UK southampton)

beaveh

I've only done about 5 cruises ( celebrity, Royal carribean) . I'm going to book my first ever prince's cruise ( norway).

I'm confused by cabin type... so many are listed with seemingly little difference between them (looking at balcony, Premier balcony and mini suite) is a lot based on location rather than difference in amenities / service? 

Are there kettles in the room for uk sailings?

1 hour ago, beaveh said:

I've only done about 5 cruises ( celebrity, Royal carribean) . I'm going to book my first ever prince's cruise ( norway).

I'm confused by cabin type... so many are listed with seemingly little difference between them (looking at balcony, Premier balcony and mini suite) is a lot based on location rather than difference in amenities / service? 

Yes, alot to do with location and sometimes things like if view from porthole or balcony is obstructed. As far as the kettle, I have read that there is a kettle and makings for tea in the cabins, But I do not have first hand knowledge of this.

3 hours ago, beaveh said:

Some are based on location and in a mini suite you will have a sofa and a slightly larger cabin. If you do a mock booking and click on a cabin it will tell you the size and show you a diagram of the layout etc. 
Yes you will have a kettle and teabags/coffee sachets & milk when sailing from the UK.

• Like 1

Generally speaking the cabin grade is indicated by the first letter; I inside, O outside, B balcony etc. with the second letter A/B/C/D etc. being quality, with A being best.  Some second letters do not conform to this pattern such as X/Y/Z which are substantially below par and numbers 1/2/3 which are well above par.  Premier balcony tend to be a standard cabin with a bigger balcony area.  Obstructed in standard balcony context is say Emerald Deck on Royal class lifeboats in the way but obstructed on aft cabins often might mean there is an insignificant post in the way or the  the balcony front is metal not glass. Club class generally means enhanced dining options.  Other services may be offered as a result of booking a higher type.

Regards John

• Haha 3

First, select your Cabin type. Then, where on the ship do you prefer? Please be aware that some balconies are bigger than others. You can really learn much on the Princess website by looking at the deck plans of each ship.

Then go to YouTube and do a bit of research. You will be amazed at what you can find. There Also, look at photos online by selecting "images".

For us, we always know that we want an aft larger balcony cabin. It does not matter if it has a loveseat or not.

I’m on sky princess. It’s all new to me and I’m trying to find my way arround booking excursions and extras.I see I can buy a week pass to the retreat or the thermal spa… are they worth it? 
me and hubby love saunas, is there any place you can have a sauna without having to go to the thermal spa? ( some boats have them in the gym changing rooms.) 

celebrity refection had a nice thermal spa with big windows looking out, but the princess one looks quite small and enclosed. Any comments on people experience?

Edited by beaveh

On 4/10/2022 at 1:42 AM, beaveh said:

Who is the prince?

On 4/10/2022 at 1:18 PM, john watson said:

Generally speaking the cabin grade is indicated by the first letter; I inside, O outside, B balcony etc. with the second letter A/B/C/D etc. being quality, with A being best.  Some second letters do not conform to this pattern such as X/Y/Z which are substantially below par and numbers 1/2/3 which are well above par.  Premier balcony tend to be a standard cabin with a bigger balcony area.  Obstructed in standard balcony context is say Emerald Deck on Royal class lifeboats in the way but obstructed on aft cabins often might mean there is an insignificant post in the way or the  the balcony front is metal not glass. Club class generally means enhanced dining options.  Other services may be offered as a result of booking a higher type.

Regards John

The second letter does not indicate quality. It indicates a location for which Princess thinks they can charge more even though many passengers think those are terrible locations.

12 hours ago, brisalta said:

The second letter does not indicate quality. It indicates a location for which Princess thinks they can charge more even though many passengers think those are terrible locations.

When I said "quality" it is really exactly the same cabin unit but Princess imply which cabins would be  preferred by a majority of cruisers.  Location is a major consideration but I think the cruise line also factor in other issues and get a lot of information from which cabins get picked first and those which get left to guarantee allocation.  You are completely correct in the idea that some higher grade cabins are in terrible locations for many people looking for something specific like being close to the pool area etc.

Regards John

• Haha 2