Need first hand experiences of those who have negotiated a standard balcony cabin in a walker.

I am 39 days away from a cruise and looking at final payment shortly. I broke both ankles two months ago and am currently still non-weight-bearing on the left for another 3 weeks. I'm making fair progress with the right, but using the walker now means I only make a few inches each time until I can swing forward to stand on the good leg and advance it again. I'm hoping once I get a go-ahead on more weight on the left, that will improve. In any event, I need to know how realistic it is to plan on negotiating the cabin in a walker. Is the bathroom door wide enough to get through it? 

While I don't have experience with your exact situation, I can share my Dad's with you.  We were in a bad car accident in October 2021, with our sailing on Symphony February 2022.  My Dad had neck surgery the day after Christmas, and a second surgery 2 weeks later.  He was using a walker to get around, but we knew there was no way he could make it around the whole ship, much less around ports and on excursions.  We had our TA switch to an accessible room, and she also suggested a company called Scoot Around, which provides medical devices specifically for people traveling.  We rented a motorized travel scooter and it was delivered right to their stateroom on embarkation day.  At the end of the cruise, you just leave the scooter in the room and they come and pick it back up.  It could not have been easier and it was an absolute life saver for the trip.  The accessible room is much larger, so even though he used the walker when he was in the room, he could have just as easily gotten around on the scooter.  The bathroom is also much larger, and it has a walk in shower with a bench seat.  We also emailed special needs ahead of time to let them know we would need wheelchair assistance at the pier, and there was a chair available as soon as we got there.  If you have temporary mobility issues, I can't recommend Scoot Around enough!!

4 minutes ago, Prinny11 said:

If you have temporary mobility issues, I can't recommend Scoot Around enough!!

Second that and we used one last October in a "standard" balcony room and had plenty of room to maneuver the scooter into/out of the room.

You should have no problems with the walker in the room.  

Even if your walker is too wide for the bathroom door frame, you can put it through the opening sideways and then rotate it just inside the door. 

And I would also highly recommend a scooter for around the ship.  You can ask the room steward to remove the coffee table (or set it in the closet) to leave room for parking the scooter in a non-accessible room.  (Yes, I've put a friend's scooter in a non-accessible room.)

I'm sure it depends on the ship and possibly other factors, but on my most recent cruise (Odyssey balcony cabin), there is absolutely no way that my walker would have fit into the bathroom. Not just because it wouldn't fit through the door, but also a question of square footage. For me it wasn't a problem because I only need the walker in limited circumstances, but based on what you describe, I wouldn't recommend it.  An accessible room would probably be a much more comfortable and stress-free experience. 🙂 

Contact special needs and ask for a shower stool or chair if you have trouble standing in shower.

I'm sorry but I don't have their email address.

I'm not sure maneuvering a walker will be possible in standard bathrooms in cabin.   

Also suggest you email rcldining and ask for a table near entrance to avoid having to walk to the whole other end of MDR and maneuver dining tables can be a challenge.

Are you the person that broke both ankles in FL crossing a street before a cruise?   That sounded so painful!!

23 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Contact special needs and ask for a shower stool or chair if you have trouble standing in shower.

I'm sorry but I don't have their email address.

I'm not sure maneuvering a walker will be possible in standard bathrooms in cabin.   

Also suggest you email rcldining and ask for a table near entrance to avoid having to walk to the whole other end of MDR and maneuver dining tables can be a challenge.

Are you the person that broke both ankles in FL crossing a street before a cruise?   That sounded so painful!!

You have a very good memory. Yes, I'm the person who had to cancel my Odyssey cruise due to a fall.

I appreciate the suggestion to ask for a table near the dining room entrance. I didn't think of that.

And Yes, I have had to admit that it's unlikely the standard balcony would work out. I called RCI this morning and they had one accessible balcony cabin left, so I transferred my booking to it.

• Like 5

On 4/12/2022 at 4:22 PM, tallnthensome said:

Disabled cruisers forum 

Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't realize there was such a forum. Frankly, I've been balking about putting the label "disabled" on myself, but I suppose it's accurate -- at least temporarily.

I checked it out and there was a lot of information that helped me make the decisions I need to make in order to take this cruise and enjoy myself.

• Like 3

On 4/12/2022 at 8:14 PM, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

I'm sure it depends on the ship and possibly other factors, but on my most recent cruise (Odyssey balcony cabin), there is absolutely no way that my walker would have fit into the bathroom. Not just because it wouldn't fit through the door, but also a question of square footage. For me it wasn't a problem because I only need the walker in limited circumstances, but based on what you describe, I wouldn't recommend it.  An accessible room would probably be a much more comfortable and stress-free experience. 🙂 

I came to the same conclusion overnight. Yes, an accessible room is going to cost me more, but I looked into shifting to a different cruise sometime in either June or July (with the hope I'd be more mobile by then) and the cost skyrocketed for that option. So it just makes the most sense to bite the bullet, pay the extra now for this cruise and move forward with a situation that I am now convinced will result in a successful cruise for me and my two granddaughters.

I'm just happy there was one accessible balcony room left.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Still sounds to me like 6 to 12 months from now taking this cruise would be a better option............In less you are someone in shape like Tiger Woods.

Next up is the Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen in September ... there is no way I'm missing that one. I intend to be walking with nothing more than possibly a cane for assistance by then. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

Next up is the Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen in September ... there is no way I'm missing that one. I intend to be walking with nothing more than possibly a cane for assistance by then. 

OMG, I wouldn't miss that cruise either.   That is one on the top of my must do cruise list!!

26 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

You have a very good memory. Yes, I'm the person who had to cancel my Odyssey cruise due to a fall.

I appreciate the suggestion to ask for a table near the dining room entrance. I didn't think of that.

And Yes, I have had to admit that it's unlikely the standard balcony would work out. I called RCI this morning and they had one accessible balcony cabin left, so I transferred my booking to it.

That's great you were able to get an accessible cabin it should make life onboard much easier for you.  

I felt horrible for you when you posted about your fall, I think some sort of drainage ditch.  I'm so happy to hear you are doing much better and back on your feet and ready to cruise.

I hope you and your Granddaughters have a terrific cruise with calm seas and perfect weather.

Just remember don't push it and overdue it.

Enjoy🤩

• Like 1

I also remember reading your thread about breaking your ankles and looking down as you were flying home to see the ship you were supposed to be sailing on boarding without you.  One doesn't forget a tale of woe like that quickly, if at all!

Glad you're getting back on a ship and made the switch to the accessible cabin, although I'm sorry it cost you more. It will make a world of difference for your cruise.  Bon voyage!!!!

30 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

I would gear up for that one then. Sounds more realistic, but if you think you can do it, by all means go for it.

54 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

And yes, I have had to admit that it's unlikely the standard balcony would work out. I called RCI this morning and they had one accessible balcony cabin left, so I transferred my booking to it.

What a stroke of good fortune that there was one available!  Have a great time with your granddaughters!

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

What a stroke of good fortune that there was one available!  Have a great time with your granddaughters!

Thank you.

Personally, I suspect someone had to cancel. If that is the case, I wish them all the best in whatever issues they are facing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

You did rent a scooter, right???  

I haven't rented it yet, but it's on my to-do list.

I spent much of yesterday researching and choosing a hotel with airport shuttle and accessible room ... and then getting the flights for the two different airlines pulled into my accounts, upgrading to aisle seats close to the front of coach and sending requests to each airline for transport and boarding assistance.

Then of course, I got the fun of doing my on-line check-in for the cruise ... that's always a milestone.

I didn't do any of that preplanning before, because I wasn't sure I was going to be able to take that trip.

• Like 2