Afternoon Tea Time is No More

sanmarcosman

1 hour ago, tampabrat22 said:

I love tea time and have missed it on a few of our past cruises, but some people just want too much. Cruise rates are some of the cheapest I have ever seen them in the past 20+ years, they are practically giving them away. They lost revenue for 2 years and are short staffed, they are doing what they can to survive and keep the ships running. If not getting a filet at breakfast, reduced pizza hours or limited tea time is enough to make you never want to sail with them again there are plenty of cruise lines to choose from. It's like going to Cracker Barrel expecting a 3* Michelin experience.🙄

LOL....I really think Carnival could simply quit serving lunch and some of you would try to minimize it by saying you could order a sandwich from the deli the night before so you won't go hungry.🤣

I don't know how the cruise lines get such rabid brand cheerleaders but they do.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2022 at 7:00 PM, cellfree said:

In the last ten minutes I learned Carnival no longer is offering Tea Time or serving “the filet mignon steak and eggs” during Sea Day Brunch. Double whamee!

Same here, worse we are sailing in two weeks and were really looking forward to the sea day brunch entree. Just sailed same ship 3mo ago and it was an amazing. entree item. My husband will be really bummed. (But if that is worst of my worries we are blessed.)  

• Like 2

May 1-8 on our Legend cruise, I went to Afternoon Tea. It was still lovely. As the waiter was taking away the sweets cart I asked for an extra Macron for my Gluten Free hubby. He gave me a plateful!

We went to 3 Sea Day Brunches. Yes, there's cutbacks, where can you go & not see evidence of that everywhere. Still love Carnival & Cruising. 

June 19, Bermuda "12 Hour French Toast" here I come!

Tea time was every sea day. So on the TA most days.

The scones were like flat cookies, they do need a better recipe LOL. 

Cakes mostly dry and tasteless. (Same as the ones in the buffet).

However cucumber sandwiches and smoked salmon rolls were as good as before.

Tea in individual white china teapots. I did bring my own teabags and my friend was given coffee.

We went most days.  I'm so glad Carnival is still continuing it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RollingMeadows said:

I was on the Panorama a couple of weeks ago. This was after the menu changes. We had Tea Time on sea days and steak and eggs on the brunch menu. No Cantina burger, though. *crying*

Do you know if they are again serving filet mignon with the steak and eggs?

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I think 3 times in our recent Dream cruise, but I only went to one 

You were lucky - there were 3 sea days on our Mardi Gras cruise - and I knew in advance, having seen the funtimes that there would only be one, on the last sea day 😞

3 hours ago, Froufie said:

You were lucky - there were 3 sea days on our Mardi Gras cruise - and I knew in advance, having seen the funtimes that there would only be one, on the last sea day 😞

At this point, I'm just happy to be cruising. Grateful for what they still have. On our 20 day Royal, every MDR dinner menu listed Cod. They never had it. Oh well, I ate plenty of other stuff.

15 hours ago, leen50 said:

At this point, I'm just happy to be cruising. Grateful for what they still have. On our 20 day Royal, every MDR dinner menu listed Cod. They never had it. Oh well, I ate plenty of other stuff.

That's an honorable but dangerous attitude.  Carnival knows people are feeling like this.  So it keeps cutting back its product, using The Covid as a pretext, because the suits know they can get away with it.  Let them get away with it long enough, and Carnival will be as bad as Spirit Airlines or EasyCruise.

Instead of this attitude, we should be speaking out.  We must show Carnival aggressive contempt, not fawning respect.  They're cutting back onboard services, use The Covid as an excuse for it, and get political support for doing so.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ledges1 said:

I have been on 24 carnival cruises and never been to tea time. Did not know they had it until reading on this site. Nothing I have read has enticed me to go. 

For many of us it's a 'seaday ritual'!  LOL.   Not so much for the food, but for the company, cruise chat and meeting people from all over the world! 🙂

I am optimistic that it will happen daily on my upcoming Celebration transatlantic cruise - something to look forward to on all the seadays (along with fun and games that I know will be scheduled as well?), and a way to reconnect with all my old (and new?) cruise pals!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

That's an honorable but dangerous attitude.  Carnival knows people are feeling like this.  So it keeps cutting back its product, using The Covid as a pretext, because the suits know they can get away with it.  Let them get away with it long enough, and Carnival will be as bad as Spirit Airlines or EasyCruise.

Instead of this attitude, we should be speaking out.  We must show Carnival aggressive contempt, not fawning respect.  They're cutting back onboard services, use The Covid as an excuse for it, and get political support for doing so.

When people are paying $20 a day pp and sometimes getting the Cheers package for Free on top of that, it's hard to even see how they can stay in business. Add that to the Visa issues making it harder to get staff onboard and working, I can understand why they need to make some cutbacks to allocate the resources with more impact. We can just hope its temporary. We got a very good deal on our Glory balcony for July while my parents have taken 6 cruises since january for less than $3,000 total, Of which they used past cruise credits, all had on board credits and free cheers. No Covid pretext, it doesnt take a genius to figure the cost versus the price and see the negative financial impact.

• Like 2

I went to 3 supermarkets on Wednesday just to buy 2 Portobello Mushrooms, 2 of the stores did not have the grapes that were advertised so we had apples instead. Bed/Bath & Beyond had 1 tablecloth in a standard size to fit our table & a local Ice Cream shop had a 45 minute wait Memorial Day because the owner can't get help. 

Don't know how Spirit Airlines are doing, but Delta passengers had a rough weekend.

I didn't want a Tea Time thread to be Hijacked, I just am grateful for what it is. 

Leaving on June 19th, Legend to Bermuda!

• Like 3

On 4/14/2022 at 8:15 AM, wesorbeth said:

I asked John that question and this was his response to me.  

You have the same number of crew on the ship, no matter the number of days for the sailing...so this is not the real reason. Must be cost cuts. Though the price of my cruise was not cut......doubled actually when I had to rebook due to a positive COVID in our group. Not that I care much about the tea, just give us real reasons that make sense. If it is staffing, it would be eliminated on ALL sailings, not just 6 days and under. Sheesh......