anyone get a vaccine exemtion for under 12's and how long did it take?

maui07

We're in the process of getting a vaccine exemption for our kiddos, anyone know how long it takes and what is the full process? We should get an answer in the next few days, so I've been told. Since its so new, the HAL rep's had no idea what I was talking about when I first called. Took 3 peeople to kinda get an answer. 

15 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

You might not know until the week of your cruise, as it will depend on the total number of unvaccinated people.

I thought that everyone had to be vaccinated if vaccinations were available for that age group, so why is it dependent on the total number of unvaccinated people?  Not sure if I want to cruise if exemptions are frequently granted, and it has little to do with contagion.  Cruising is subject to the approval of the scheduled ports to allow the ship to discharge its passengers.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

You might not know until the week of your cruise, as it will depend on the total number of unvaccinated people.

Thats weird, whats the point of finding out day of if your unvaxxed, I was told about 3 days on a decision. They moved my final payment so I would know before the decision. 

16 minutes ago, maui07 said:

Nope, up to 5% of your cruise could be un vaxxed, they are giving exemptions for 5-12 year olds. Ovbiously under 5's arent vaxxed either. 

But vaccines are now being given to the 5-12 year olds, so why is HAL allowing exemptions for that group?  Pfizer has just announced that it is seeking approval for booster shots for that group.  Between Covid and the current war, how do people plan for the latest announcements?  I admire their ability to do so. 

• Like 3

They are allowing it becuse of money I assume. Not everyone wants their kids to be vaccinated. Bottom line, they would rather have a family sail with un vaxxed kids then not sail at all. That is my guess anyways. 

• Like 1

Where did you get that 5% number.  HAL's policy is everybody 12 and older must be vacinated.  Children under 5 are OK, and 5 to 11can apply for an exemption, not an automatic approval.  I hope HAL will notify cruisers, if anybody is on their ship is not vacinated so we may cancel our trip, as I will not travel with unvacinated people.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, MikeD4134 said:

Where did you get that 5% number.  HAL's policy is everybody 12 and older must be vacinated.  Children under 5 are OK, and 5 to 11can apply for an exemption, not an automatic approval.  I hope HAL will notify cruisers, if anybody is on their ship is not vacinated so we may cancel our trip, as I will not travel with unvacinated people.

I believe this is where the OP got the 5% number.  

Here's the latest Protocols on Canada Cruises just taken from their Site:

FOR ALASKA & CANADA/NEW ENGLAND CRUISES Our Alaska and Canada/New England cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and can provide a negative viral PCR or medically observed antigen COVID-19 test taken before embarkation. Guests under 5 years of age do not need to be vaccinated. Children between the ages of 5-11 who are not vaccinated may request an exemption at the time of booking and if approved may be subject to additional testing, fees and protocols. Children under 2 years of age do not need to be tested prior to cruising. We operate fully vaccinated cruises that meet CDC requirements with at least 95% of guests fully vaccinated. Exemptions are limited, not guaranteed, and not allowed for guests 12 years of age and older.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, MikeD4134 said:

You sound ike a lot of fun! Update-vaccine approval request were granted within 48hrs of applying. Just have to take a PCR test 48hrs prior to boarding and again upon boarding. Mike D! I asked the HAL rep on the phone for you and they don't let the guests know if they are traveling with unvaxxed. So yes, you are traveling with those filthy unvaxxed. Happy sailing!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, maui07 said:

You sound ike a lot of fun! Update-vaccine approval request were granted within 48hrs of applying. Just have to take a PCR test 48hrs prior to boarding and again upon boarding. Mike D! I asked the HAL rep on the phone for you and they don't let the guests know if they are traveling with unvaxxed. So yes, you are traveling with those filthy unvaxxed. Happy sailing!

The point is--HAL has not been telling passengers the truth for many months; rather they are telling what they know we want to hear! I see now that they are fessing up. We were on the Nieuw A. last fall and sat next to a lady who was on for four weeks who happily bragged about not being vaxxed--in the end she forced us out of our favorite dining table because we didn't want to be seated with her at the next table for two more weeks.  HAL needs to tell the truth and say they are requiring only 95% or whatever percent it is and not giving us the false narrative that everyone is vaxxed or not allowed on.  As has been said, follow the money.  We're on the Zuid. now and just assume that anyone near us could infect us and we wear masks--vaccinated or not!

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

The point is--HAL has not been telling passengers the truth for many months; rather they are telling what they know we want to hear! I see now that they are fessing up. We were on the Nieuw A. last fall and sat next to a lady who was on for four weeks who happily bragged about not being vaxxed--in the end she forced us out of our favorite dining table because we didn't want to be seated with her at the next table for two more weeks.  HAL needs to tell the truth and say they are requiring only 95% or whatever percent it is and not giving us the false narrative that everyone is vaxxed or not allowed on.  As has been said, follow the money.  We're on the Zuid. now and just assume that anyone near us could infect us and we wear masks--vaccinated or not!

I dont see where they arent telling the truth, all the informaton is laid out and not hard to find. I gogled for 2 minutes before I found out I could file a vaccine exemption. 95% vaxxed, says it right on the website. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, maui07 said:

I dont see where they arent telling the truth, all the informaton is laid out and not hard to find. I gogled for 2 minutes before I found out I could file a vaccine exemption. 95% vaxxed, says it right on the website. 

Did you just book and how old are your Kids?  We booked in January and travelling with two Grandsons (Ages 13 & 7) and were told they both needed the Vaccine (which they have).  The Protocols were updated on April 11th (and changed) so anyone who booked before that would think Fully Vaxxed Ship. You said yourself in your OP that this is all new to the HAL Reps.  I think it's understandable that some maybe upset by the new "Exemptions". 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

Did you just book and how old are your Kids?  We booked in January and travelling with two Grandsons (Ages 13 & 7) and were told they both needed the Vaccine (which they have).  The Protocols were updated on April 11th (and changed) so anyone who booked before that would think Fully Vaxxed Ship. You said yourself in your OP that this is all new to the HAL Reps.  I think it's understandable that some maybe upset by the new "Exemptions". 

Honestl,y I would never think I was sailing on a  fully vaxxed ship because the under 5's are still there so theres that...Also, HAL opted into the safe travels cruise program endorsed by the CDC, which has always said to opt in you need to sail with 95% fully vaxxed-not 100% fully vaxxed. 

Sure, I consciously understand where people are mad but to think you are getting on a fully vaxxed cruise when kids 5 and under will be there baffles me. 

Anywhooo-we booked a while ago but figured the VAxx guidelines would be changing as they did. Just letting people with kids know their options since the rules are ever changing. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

kids are 8 & 11

1 hour ago, maui07 said:

They weren't telling the truth until the April 11th protocol was posted--all last fall and through winter they were advertising 100% vaxed or people couldn't sail.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

They weren't telling the truth until the April 11th protocol was posted--all last fall and through winter they were advertising 100% vaxed or people couldn't sail.

This is a changing situation.  The cruise lines are in lock step with CDC guidance and the FDA approval process.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, maui07 said:

Well I guess this might be your first HAL cruise. It is an old crowd and most of us would rather the kids were left home. By the way, good luck on getting a PCR test results within 48 hours. You might be standing on the dock waiting for results.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maui07 said:

Honestl,y I would never think I was sailing on a  fully vaxxed ship because the under 5's are still there so theres that...Also, HAL opted into the safe travels cruise program endorsed by the CDC, which has always said to opt in you need to sail with 95% fully vaxxed-not 100% fully vaxxed. 

Sure, I consciously understand where people are mad but to think you are getting on a fully vaxxed cruise when kids 5 and under will be there baffles me. 

Anywhooo-we booked a while ago but figured the VAxx guidelines would be changing as they did. Just letting people with kids know their options since the rules are ever changing. 

Please come back & let us know what HAL's decision was on your kids' exemption application.

• Like 1

If there are exemptions to be issued, I would hope HAL would reserve them either for the under-5 crowd (currently not vax eligible) or for those who are  immuno-compromised or for those whose medical team advises they not get vaxed.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Everything in life is a tradeoff.

No vax?  

If one opts no vax, one must understand some doors are closed.

Land trip rather than cruise might be an option.

nope! got our exemption today!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, aa7yy said:

Well I guess this might be your first HAL cruise. It is an old crowd and most of us would rather the kids were left home. By the way, good luck on getting a PCR test results within 48 hours. You might be standing on the dock waiting for results.

Its actually not...But yes, its def an old crowd, which we prefer...You must not be familiar with Walgreen's red dot rapid PCR covid tests, results back within the hour, We've used them many times, most recently to fly to maui before Hawaii finally dropped all its testing requirements. We live just a stones throw from Seattle, we've always liked HAL because they are a local line. Cheers!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

If there are exemptions to be issued, I would hope HAL would reserve them either for the under-5 crowd (currently not vax eligible) or for those who are  immuno-compromised or for those whose medical team advises they not get vaxed.

under 5's dont need an exemption, they can just go. Nothing required at all. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Please come back & let us know what HAL's decision was on your kids' exemption application.

Took 48 hrs to get approved for the exemption. PCR test 48 hrs before embark and again at the pier before check in. Was pretty simple, just had to reach someone that was familiar with asking for the exemption...Took a few Reps to find someone knowledgable. 

• Like 2