Toiletries

mandapanda13

13 minutes ago, mandapanda13 said:

I'm sailing with HAL for the first time this June. What toiletries does HAL provide in regular staterooms? Do they provide separate shampoo, conditioner, and body wash or a two-in-one (or three-in-one) product. Thank you!

alle three seperate. and a boar of soap, body lotion, tissues

14 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

I didn’t receive a bar of soap on the koningsdam.  Everything was in the dispenser.  There was shampoo, body wash and conditioner.  I didn’t ask for bar soap and I have skin sensitivity so I bring my own.

49 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

on Nieuw Amsterdam and Zuiderdam, three separate in tub; wall dispensers of hand soap and lotion by the sink--this is in an ocean-view cabin.  No bar soap.  I like this way of dispensing.

No bar soap last week, too.  I think there was a small bottle of Elemis hand and body lotion in the past, but it may have been in one of the dispensers by the sink.  And three dispensers in the shower, shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner, all separate.

IMG_6774.thumb.JPG.619a994f87bc8c01c8a2403008ef5ab4.JPG

IMG_6777.thumb.JPG.cac98d25ec9b0509afdef1117bfba20d.JPG

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

No bar soap last week, too.  I think there was a small bottle of Elemis hand and body lotion in the past, but it may have been in one of the dispensers by the sink.  And three dispensers in the shower, shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner, all separate.

IMG_6774.thumb.JPG.619a994f87bc8c01c8a2403008ef5ab4.JPG

IMG_6777.thumb.JPG.cac98d25ec9b0509afdef1117bfba20d.JPG

They used to have small body lotion bottles but I bet it’s been about 10 years since I’ve seen them if not more.

I found using the Elemis body wash (minty)as a shampoo, and the Elemis shampoo as a body wash worked best for me.  But I bring my own Dove facial soap, though one can also buy Dove soap in the ship store. 

One of the dispensers by the sink contains body lotion.  In February,  I asked my cabin steward for a bar of soap and he brought me one.  I use all the products but my one quirk is I  use the conditioner to shave my legs and bring better conditioner from home for my hair.    Also, remember to bring plenty of sunscreen regardless of where you are sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Maybe because we cruised on Volendam/Rotterdam/Maasdam, where I never had dispensers neat the sink. We will wait and see next May whether HAL changed that on the Volendam too. But the Elemis bars are or were perfect for us.

Very happy they have gone to the dispensers at the sinks, too. So much better for the environment.

An environmental officer on board about 12 years ago told me they collected partially-used little plastic bottles for donation to shelters, which was good to know. But it’s great to see the reduction of plastic on board as much as possible, and there are many simpler ways to support good causes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Very happy they have gone to the dispensers at the sinks, too. So much better for the environment.

An environmental officer on board about 12 years ago told me they collected partially-used little plastic bottles for donation to shelters, which was good to know. But it’s great to see the reduction of plastic on board as much as possible, and there are many simpler ways to support good causes. 

I don't know about you, but I use the lotion at the bed, after my shower. I need it all over my body, which can't be applied at the bathroom sink. 
Having a large dispenser at the sink is no help at all, unless I pack my empty bottles and refill them from the large container---so I can use them at the bed! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I could be mistaken, but I don't recall there ever being bar soap available, even before the shutdowns.

In 2019 during our Southeast Asia Highlights on ms Maasdam, the Scottish Highland Explorer on ms Rotterdam and The Baltic British & Ireland Explorer on ms Rotterdam always bars of soap (and body lotion). And all cruises before those.  Of course no problem for me at all if they change that to dispensers on the smaller ships too.

4 hours ago, jinpasco said:

We just got off the Rotterdam and no bar soap. 😣  Next time I will pack a small hotel size bar just in case.

Seriously, they wouldn't give you one if you asked?  I always ask and receive.  They hide them in the storeroom, I think.  Like the chocolates.  You'd think you were asking for the moon, like another poster noted.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Seriously, they wouldn't give you one if you asked?  I always ask and receive.  They hide them in the storeroom, I think.  Like the chocolates.  You'd think you were asking for the moon, like another poster noted.

It’s probably those darn supply chain issues 😛🤪😉.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

That Elemis product is good $$$ stuff.......And has the "We are on a cruise again" scent!

On two cruises last year the minty smell Elemis soap was replaced with a more mediciney smell Elemis soap.

I may never cruise HAL again. 😂

• Haha 1

I'll admit that the very fact that a product has fragrance added--minty or medicine-y--is a reason I still ALWAYS bring my own toiletries on overnight trips. That said, I'm sure I'm more sensitive than most. It's greater than 50% that using random hotel products will give me at least a mild rash. Luckily, this is more true of body products than simple hand soap, so I always carry a bottle/bar of safe soap in my purse, but I can usually use the given stuff in public washrooms for a quick wash.

Of course, my kid with eczema is far worse off in this respect than I am, so lugging unscented, gentle skin care along wherever we go will be our standard for the foreseeable future. I literally took this child to the dermatologist when his neck eczema got so bad that it looked like he had bruising around his neck like we throttled him! 😬

I'm 100% in favor of ships (and hotels) using wall mounted dispensers for bulk products, regardless. Maybe I'm not using them, but I hate the waste of ALWAYS putting out single use mini bottles. (Offering them only when a customer asks, however, I think is very reasonable, and I'm also not a fan of laws banning small bottles in all cases. Why shouldn't a luxury property have unscented stuff for guests who require that?)

Does anyone else remember that hilarious internet story from decades ago about a person who brought a full size bar of Dial soap to a hotel, had it taken away by housekeeping, then tried to get it back...

🤣

--willo

On 4/17/2022 at 10:01 AM, RuthC said:

I don't know about you, but I use the lotion at the bed, after my shower. I need it all over my body, which can't be applied at the bathroom sink. 
Having a large dispenser at the sink is no help at all, unless I pack my empty bottles and refill them from the large container---so I can use them at the bed! 

Good point about the lotion. One possibility would be to bring a small recycled container from home with a snap-on lid and refill it as needed to use bedside, then toss out when the cruise ends.