Port Lauderdale is Cape Canaveral realistic in a day

lissie

We have one day at Port Lauderdale in August.  I'm not sure what time we arrive /depart in port (Queen Elizabeth 9 August if anyone can help with thaat) . We are in transit but I know others will be embarking on the ship  . We will have got on in San Francisco and sale on to Spain. NZ passport holders with an ESTA 

• do we have to go through  US border formalities at the port? Or are we are in transit ? 
  • Is it easy to get a taxi or an uber to Fort Lauderdale airport - thinking about hiring a car from there. 
  • Do you think doing Cape Canaveral in a day is realistic? It looks like its around 3 hour drive 3 each way - how vulnerable to traffic is this route? 

Although I'd love to see Kennedy Space Centre - I also don't want to risk the chance of having to find our own way to Bermuda which is the next port. 

No, Kennedy Space Center is NOT a doable day trip from Fort Lauderdale. South Florida traffic is very heavy, actually dreadful rush hour which is the time you would be returning to the area. If there are any accidents or delays on Interstate 95, you very well could miss ship departure. (My son and daughter-in-law live in S. Florida so we are there often, not just for cruises.)

Hoping you can find another activity or excursion of interest that is local and won't risk being left behind!

Safe travels 🙂

• Like 1

With an all aboard at let's say 4pm you won't have any time to enjoy KSC considering the driving time. You won't have enough time to visit the Saturn V complex and (if operated) the bus tour is absolutely out of the question. :classic_sad:

The drive is around 3-3½ hours, not counting getting the rental etc. There's also some road construction going on (or was) and with everybody leaving after a live space launch at KSC last March we were driving at walking pace all the way up to I-95.

Even flying to Orlando (MCO) from FLL on an commercial liner won't beat the car I fear. Perhaps a charter prop? Debark 6/7am, private car ready, etc?

• Like 1

We drove from our Fort Lauderdale hotel on the beach to Coco Beach in about four hours.  We went part way on the 95 and then the 1 to see something more interesting that concrete.  We weren't in a hurry and took our time and stopped for a long lunch.    

On 4/19/2022 at 1:35 AM, lissie said:

Wow - have to rethink  it then  - thanks for the  categorical advice -  I keep underestimating the size of Florida! 

Renting a car is easy enough because the airport is right next to Port Everglades, the name of the port in Fort Lauderdale. Lots of taxis at the port.  Various websites are not currently showing a departure time but it's likely late afternoon although some trans-Atlantic sailings can have late evening departues because people are flying-in from all over. Yes, there will be Customs/Immigration formalities at the port for anyone getting off the ship there so make sure to bring your passports/visas/ESTA, whatever.  Definitely remain in the South Florida area; Orlando and Cape Canaveral are just too far for a day trip*. The weather in August will be hot, humid & miserable with a chance of thunderstorms anytime. If the ship is offering any excursions, you might consider them.

*However, call Cunard for the sailing time. If you're not sailing until 9pm or 10pm, you really could do KSC.

Edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH