Cruising to Tasmania

Just saw a report on cruising returning to Aus and it mentioned that Tasmania has not made a decision on whether to fully open its borders at this stage. I have friends who have a  cruise booked to Tassie in November. Hope it will be open by then!!

14 minutes ago, bonox55 said:

Just saw a report on cruising returning to Aus and it mentioned that Tasmania has not made a decision on whether to fully open its borders at this stage. I have friends who have a  cruise booked to Tassie in November. Hope it will be open by then!!

We’re due to call there at end of our round aus cruise in October this year! WA is a big part of that trip with 5 WA ports. They only anticipate WA opening October. So it’s a wait and see

16 hours ago, bonox55 said:

The Tassie rules are based on a Dec21 document. Hopefully with NSW, QLD and Vic already indicating they are ready for cruising to restart, the other states will review their current rules and amend accordingly in the near future. They may wait a little while just to see how it goes in the other eastern states first. Fingers crossed!!

Lynn and Carl

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Thanks Dom Perrottet for having the balls to take it to national Cabinet and lifting the ban .😇

With the Aust borders totally open, it was going to happen now anyway. Annastasia has been fairly keen to get cruising re-started. Brisbane has its new cruise terminal, and in the winter, Queensland is the ideal destination for cruises.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

With the Aust borders totally open, it was going to happen now anyway. Annastasia has been fairly keen to get cruising re-started. Brisbane has its new cruise terminal, and in the winter, Queensland is the ideal destination for cruises.

Why didn't she take it up with national Cabinet 🤷‍♂️ I disagree about ideal destination ,South Pacific third world ports are better than Brisbane new poo terminal or Cairns 🤣

32 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Watching TV this morning. Cairns is chockers with tourist and sun & sea changers. Almost no accomodation, restaurants are packed. I wonder how a permanent floating hotel would go?

3 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Why didn't she take it up with national Cabinet 🤷‍♂️ I disagree about ideal destination ,South Pacific third world ports are better than Brisbane new poo terminal or Cairns 🤣

We had booked a few cruises to Vila, but they were either cancelled or converted to Q'ld coast. We would not normally book a coastal cruise because we have been to those ports many many times, but any cruise is better than no cruise.

At the moment South Pacific ports aren't open for cruise ships. To me, it is pretty obvious that the cruiselines are wanting to test the waters (in a sense) with domestic cruising only. Another problem with the islands, is the high rate of infection there.

Brisbane's new cruise terminal is lovely. Yes, it is near the sewerage works, but you can't see any of that infrastructure from the terminal. No-one made comments about the sewerage works when cruiseships used the grain terminal directly across the river.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Brisbane's new cruise terminal is lovely. Yes, it is near the sewerage works, but you can't see any of that infrastructure from the terminal. No-one made comments about the sewerage works when cruiseships used the grain terminal directly across the river.

Yes, the new cruise terminal is very nicely landscaped.

I've been down that way several times in the past few months and I can't say that I've noticed any smell at all. Which is a big change from how it used to smell.

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Why didn't she take it up with national Cabinet

She did last year and she was knocked back.

8 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Yes, the new cruise terminal is very nicely landscaped.

I've been down that way several times in the past few months and I can't say that I've noticed any smell at all. Which is a big change from how it used to smell

She did last year and she was knocked back.

We checked out the new terminal a year or more ago. I walked the last kilometre or so because there was a sign saying that the road was closed at that point. My husband wouldn't drive past it. Even walking outside for close to half an hour, I didn't smell anything unpleasant.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Federal bio security act was the instrument. 

And while national cabinet could discuss the need for it to stay or be removed, they had no say over it.

It is sort of ironic that during the relaxing of restrictions in NSW, Dom regularly overrode the advice from Kerry Chant, but she (along with the other CMO's) had more say over the status of the cruise ship ban than their respective premiers.

• Like 1