On Queen Mary now? Covid cases?

debbyma

24 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Absolutely - but they should update their policy if and when it changes, and then everyone knows what to expect. If someone books a cruise based on their policy on THEIR website that says masks only in certain places, and then comes to a cruise and finds out that masks required almost everywhere, don't you find it deceptive?

No, anyone travelling during a pandemic has to be prepared for things to change at short notice.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Well, for people who don't wear masks when not required, it's definitely a big one.

I agree ,the only place i wear my mask is any health service building ....there are a few restaurants that require masks in our area ......we skip them . Now if the virus explodes again we will wear them but cruising is off again for another year . 

3 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

No, anyone travelling during a pandemic has to be prepared for things to change at short notice.

Yes, as long as they update the information on the website, and then everyone makes their decisions. Most people don't even know that the policy has changed.

Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree..

5 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Well, in Ontario they removed the mask requirements, and some people still wear them even while driving alone in their cars or walking alone in the park while nobody is around. 

Everyone has a different sense of "security", after 2 years of fear, it's understandable, but they still should follow what they say on their website, and everyone will decide what's best for them.

It isn't that simple in Ontario. Masks are still required on public transport  and in hospitals and care homes. Federal mask and vaccination regulations apply to inter-city rail (VIA) and airlines. Visitors to Ontario - and I suppose some residents - should be aware of this.

I have no concern whatsoever about wearing a mask some of the time on my two Cunard voyages for this year. I am more concerned about other matters such as (besides the obvious) being identified as a close contact and what that might entail on board and after disembarking.

So far so good on the QM2 May 1st crossing - only 2 more days to go alas.

I have described the current onboard changes due to COVID on my blog, whereissafarigal.com, but of course things may change by the return crossing on May 8th.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, safarigal said:

I have described the current onboard changes due to COVID on my blog, whereissafarigal.com, but of course things may change by the return crossing on May 8th.  Time will tell.

Read your blog -- loved it. Heading on the EB crossing to SOU and on to HAM on 5 June.  Looking forward to it.  I just hope COVID doesn't bite me in the rear end,or cause Cunard to alter the QM2 schedule.  Looking so forward to being at sea and away from the madness of he World.  Are they doing any love Trivia or Bingo?

1 hour ago, safarigal said:

Enjoying reading your blog!

You mentioned that not everyone is wearing masks? So they require masks but don’t enforce them?

4 hours ago, safarigal said:

It's great to see you blogging again, I look forward to reading about the rest of your trip.

6 hours ago, safarigal said:

So no outbreak yet then?

7 hours ago, thumbun said:

Read your blog -- loved it. Heading on the EB crossing to SOU and on to HAM on 5 June.  Looking forward to it.  I just hope COVID doesn't bite me in the rear end,or cause Cunard to alter the QM2 schedule.  Looking so forward to being at sea and away from the madness of he World.  Are they doing any love Trivia or Bingo?

Yes indeed - live Trivia and Bingo are happening!

6 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Enjoying reading your blog!

You mentioned that not everyone is wearing masks? So they require masks but don’t enforce them?

I have not seen any staff members reminding guests to wear their masks, or at least wear them correctly. The Daily Program requests that guests wear masks, but I suppose it doesn't say what part of the body the masks should cover 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, safarigal said:

Not yet, but then would we know? Still there are 2 more days to go 🙂

It will be interesting see what happens on the return journey if there is Covid on the ship it will likely show tomorrow among the  b2b passengers and cross into the newcomers during the later stages of the westbound crossing.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:19 AM, safarigal said:

I have not seen any staff members reminding guests to wear their masks, or at least wear them correctly. The Daily Program requests that guests wear masks, but I suppose it doesn't say what part of the body the masks should cover 🙂

Does it say requests or requires a mask to be worn. A BIG difference. 

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

For Illuminations, and the Royal Court Theater it says " Masks are required to be worn and we kindly ask that no food or drinks be consumed" also for G32 and the Queens Room,  "Face coverings are required whilst using the dance floor"

• Like 1

Masks in G32, really?

On QE last November, they had many activities in the Queen's Room.

There was:

Zumba (no masks required)

Fencing (no masks required)

Line Dancing (no masks required)

Ballroom Lessons (no masks required)

but in the afternoon, for the 45 minute sea day concert. MASKS COMPULSORY, with mask police patrolling.

This nasty Covid thing is really clever and knows exactly when to attack. Sitting socially distant from people makes you a likely target, but you're quite safe if you're bopping around and sweating over everybody.

Maybe I got that wrong?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

More so in theory than practice, I think. Most of us would accede to a request just as readily as we would comply with a requirement, and there are even a few who prefer to be asked than told.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Masks in G32, really?

There was:

but in the afternoon, for the 45 minute sea day concert. MASKS COMPULSORY, with mask police patrolling.

This nasty Covid thing is really clever and knows exactly when to attack. Sitting socially distant from people makes you a likely target, but you're quite safe if you're bopping around and sweating over everybody.

Maybe I got that wrong?

I'd been at the lab for a fasting blood test early one morning before setting off on a seafront run. After queueing and having the blood taken I set off running forgetting to remove my mask. I soon discovered that it's quite uncomfortable to try and breathe a piece of mask into your mouth as you exert yourself.

I can't imagine that would cause us an issue with Ballroom or Line Dancing, and I've never tried the others, but there may be folk with respiratory issues who have difficulty doing light exercise wearing a mask.

But you're quite right, sometimes there seems to be no rationale to mask rules.

Safarigal, 

Thank you for writing about all the changes onboard on your blog.  One question - I’m booked on the May 15 departure and was hoping you wouldn’t mind giving more details about your Covid test, such as where you took it, if it was at one of the big pharmacy chains, were there any issues with getting an appointment, what was the exact test you took and how long before you received the results?  

I have read the Cunard site and think it could be clearer on Covid tests accepted.  Been on Royal Carribean and NCL post-pandemic and their sites basically told you what tests to take at CVS/Walgreens.  

2 hours ago, RalphWiggum said:

Safarigal, 

Thank you for writing about all the changes onboard on your blog.  One question - I’m booked on the May 15 departure and was hoping you wouldn’t mind giving more details about your Covid test, such as where you took it, if it was at one of the big pharmacy chains, were there any issues with getting an appointment, what was the exact test you took and how long before you received the results?  

I have read the Cunard site and think it could be clearer on Covid tests accepted.  Been on Royal Carribean and NCL post-pandemic and their sites basically told you what tests to take at CVS/Walgreens.  

We flew to New York from Portland. On the day of our flight we did a self test at home, just in case it came back positive and there would be no point flying to New York. Phew, the tests were negative, so off we went to the airport and did an official rapid antigen test at the airport  testing site - it was sponsored by Carbon health. We had made an appointment beforehand, so it was very easy to just walk up, get our noses and lower brain probed, and we had the results by email in a few minutes. We flew to New York, and printed up the results in the business center at our hotel. It was all quite simple. The agent in Brooklyn seemed quite OK with the print out of the results. We had hoped to do the testing at our local Walgreens, but they only did PCR testing, not rapid antigen.

15 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Masks in G32, really?

There was:

Maybe I got that wrong?

I cannot swear to it but recall some time ago a post over on the P&O  or Princess boards (sorry cannot remember which) that masks in the theatre and at concerts are for the protection of the performers not the passengers.  Certainly there is live current discussion on the P&O board about front row seats in the theatre not being used for exactly that reason.  As a guess perhaps Cunard etc have restrictions placed on these areas/events by unions such as Equity if it is indeed to protect performers?

Edited by Megabear2

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I cannot swear to it but recall some time ago a post over on the P&O  or Princess boards (sorry cannot remember which) that masks in the theatre and at concerts are for the protection of the performers not the passengers.  Certainly there is live current discussion on the P&O board about front row seats in the theatre not being used for exactly that reason.  As a guess perhaps Cunard etc have restrictions placed on these areas/events by unions such as Equity if it is indeed to protect performers?

The performers are at least 3-4 meters from the first row seats. The virus is not contentious beyond 2 meters, according to the "experts" themselves.

19 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

The performers are at least 3-4 meters from the first row seats. The virus is not contentious beyond 2 meters, according to the "experts" themselves.

Of course we now know that's not the case, as the theatre is one of the places where the staff aren't masked it seems a sensible precaution.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Of course we now know that's not the case, as the theatre is one of the places where the staff aren't masked it seems a sensible precaution.

Masks in theaters is no longer required in Britain, United States, Canada and most of Europe. But of course Cunard knows better.

But according to this logic, why masks are required in the Illuminations? Is it to protect the stars and/or the movie actors?