Inside Cabins from those that been in a Balcony before.

bigrednole

I continue to count it a blessing to be able to continue to Cruise. The inside is more economical, literally same space as the other cabins and more importantly it works for us. Do what pleases you and your Cruise will be memorable. At the end of the day we all arrive at the port, we all leave at the same time and after the Cruise we all go home! 

Save that balcony and suite money for the next Cruise adventure.

• Like 4

I've cruised in all categories from inside to Owners Suite and will say that the nicer the cabin, the more time I spent there.  Enjoyed coffee on the balcony and more room to move around in the suites when I've shared a cabin in the past.

These days I mostly sail solo and have found the 4K cabins on Pride to be good for me but if I ever sailed to Alaska again, I'd want a balcony.  I think I used it more on that cruise than any other!

It's all about the  memories of the trip.  If I'm having a good time, I'll sleep anywhere!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got 51 days booked this summer so far. Half are balcony, 1/4 ocean view and 1/4 interior. A cruise, for me, is mostly about the ports. On sea days, sure, it’s nice to have a balcony, but not nice enough to pay double for it. And I’ve never completely understood the logic of needing a balcony for a cruise through a scenic area. When I was on my Alaska and Norway cruises I must’ve put in 60 miles a day dashing back-and-forth from one side of the ship to the other because there was always something interesting on the other side. Or in front. Or behind. 🙂 I can’t imagine just sitting on the balcony and missing at least half of the possible sights. But that’s just me. 

• Thanks 1

We like balcony cabins.  We like inside cabins.   Don't spend extended amounts of time beyond sleeping in either.    We enjoy cruises either way.   

An inside cabin is really nice when cruising up around Iceland when the sun is up all night!  haha.  

• Like 1

I have been in almost every room type including tiny dark interior cave rooms (I like them), oceanview (window), balcony, and spacious one-room suites. Everything except the largest multi-room apartment types.

This has been in no particular order and I’ve gone back and forth. Right now we have a window. DH feels a bit less claustrophobic with a window if the price is close but he’s fine without which is how we could afford Oasis of the Seas and Mardi Gras. We are willing to pay a little more for extra square footage as interiors are often the smallest rooms on the ship, but sometimes there are oddball larger rooms in weird locations for hardly any more $$.

I don’t cruise to be in the room except for the few private activities that need to take place there. For me, a cheaper room on a better (bigger and newer) ship is our default formula for success. 

I barely use the room balcony but feel almost obligated when I have one. In short I only do it when the price is very low comparatively or if my travel companion insists.

My parents, however, cruise to sit around chilling mostly privately and refuse to cruise without a balcony which they use extensively. They’re in their late 70’s with limited mobility and easily tired so they’re not schlepping around any more than necessary. 

In other words, it’s up to you. My answer isn’t right for your needs and vice versa.

• Like 1

My husband and I also love balconies but of our 20+ cruises, we have only had a balcony 3 times with one being a junior suite. We are cruising next week in two connecting outside cabins to Alaska. It was only $50 more to book the second cabin so we jumped on it. So looking forward to the extra space.

I've done a mix of balconies and interiors. On my last cruise, we booked an interior. We were offered to upgrade for about $210 total for a 7 night cruise, so we took it.

It was nice to be able to enjoy a beer on the balcony in the morning (so judge me). It was also a great experience to be able to spend my first port stop there, on my first cruise back in 2 years. It was a great moment. All in all, I probably didn't spend much more than an hour or 2 on the balcony.

I don't want to be in the room long. Being on the Lido or Serenity is many times more enjoyable to me, and far cheaper. 

• Like 1

We always booked interior.  For YEARS.  We loved it and never felt like we were missing out on anything not having a window or a balcony.  I still wouldn't feel that way if I booked an interior tomorrow.  I love the midnight all day vibe of an interior room.  🤣  However, we do prefer balconies because that is what works for my family. In 2014 we were offered an upsell on the Carnival Dream to move from our interior cabin to a Balcony for $100!  We took it because our DD's (4 & 5 at that time) went to bed early and I didn't want whoever put them to bed to feel like their day was done at 8pm.  It was the best decision ever for my family.  We have continued to book balconies ever since.  Now that the DD's are 11 & 12  and have many cruises under their belt we still prefer the balcony.  I wake up very early and love to sit on the balcony every morning and watch the sun come up with a cup of coffee and a good book.  Every evening we return to the room to dress for dinner and sit on the balcony and have a few cocktails and watch the sun set before we head to the MDR.  Then after everyone has partied the night away and is getting into bed, it is not unusual for me to end the same way I started...  On the balcony, with a drink, and a good book.  We do not spend a lot of time in the room but when we are in the room we are on the balcony.  

Edited by azarak

I was thinking about this thread.   I made an earlier comment that we prefer balcony cabins but are just as happy with insides.   We would not enjoy a cruise any less being in an inside.   So now I'm thinking, why do we pursue balconies?  Kind of irrational I guess.   

Well. I guess I’m going to find o it sooner than I thought. A girlfriend just suggested a quick/cheap last minute short cruise.  We booked an inside. 
Leaving a week from Sunday. 

this will be my first non-Carnival cruise so lots of firsts. 

• Like 2

We have had 1 interior, an aft balcony, aft balcony, spa interior--in that order.

We didn't spend a ton of time on the balcony, but I enjoyed being able to get up and go outside for a look without needing to get dressed and hike to an elevator/stairs just to go outside. It was also really nice to get room service breakfast and have that space to enjoy the ocean while having breakfast.

That being said, we didn't miss the balcony too much the times we didn't have it. Our first cruise we didn't know any different and just booked the cheapest room. The last cruise, the spa balcony, we wanted to try out the perks of having that cabin and we honestly loved it--although we probably spent more on spa treatments than we normally would have. 

Prior to COVID, I would have said I'm going to book whatever is the better deal. However, after following along as thousands of people got stuck in their cruise ship cabins for days and days at the beginning of the pandemic, I will probably never book anything less than a balcony again, because I can't stand the thought of not being able to step outside. I know the odds of that happening again are probably pretty small, but I just don't want to even think it's a possibility.

We have been on several cruises (and different lines) and have had Interiors, OV, and balconies.   To us, it comes down to price - We usually book the Interior or OV and then watch for deals to upgrade (or accept upgrades offered to us)   There are pro's and con's to all the room types.  The biggest common pro is they are not at home/work 

• Like 1

I mainly miss having more space and a little bit of light coming in. We sail in balconies and also in inside cabins depending on the pricing. While we do prefer balcony cabins, we're not opposed to inside cabins. Especially if the cost savings means we can afford to cruise more often! We're in an inside cabin for our next cruise with our family of 4. It will be our first cruise with our toddler, we'd always had inside cabins as just a family of 3 prior. Hopefully it's still okay but we're in a family harbor room so we're hoping the space in the lounge will be nice. The plan is that we can chill out there in FH Lounge when not asleep or occupied in other parts of the ship/port.

Edited by oyme

I’m a solo cruiser, so I go with the best itinerary I can find for the cheapest price.  Most times that is an inside, and that is fine with me. But occasionally I have found a really, really good deal on a balcony, I do take it.  Example: when MSC was selling balconies for the sale price of an interior.  I do find with a balcony that I do send more time on the balcony, especially at night before bed and in the morning I like to have breakfast out there too.  But I, like many others, cruise for itinerary not the cabin. Enjoy your cruise no matter what cabin you have!

25+ cruises and we did our first inside cabin for NYE this past holiday season.  We liked it!  It was small, but it gave me fewer decisions on where to put stuff.  We loved the darkness for sleeping.  It was a spa cabin and that gave us access to the thermal suite, and we were only steps from the Serenity Deck.  Loved all of those things.  We have booked another inside spa cabin for July for that reason.

Our first cruise back after the shutdown was in a Cove balcony.  I know people love those for being so close to the water, so we tried that.  I was not crazy about it because it was on a low deck which felt very far from everything we wanted to get to.  The actual balcony is also very small, barely enough room for my husband and I to maneuver around the 2 chairs and tiny end table.  We did not end up using it very much.  I am glad we tried it so now we know that it’s not where we want to spend our cabin money.

The aft facing balconies are our favorites, because you can watch the mesmerizing wake. We love that.  IMHO the absolute BEST cabins are the corner afts, with the wrap round balcony.  Each class of ship has its own version of those, as does each cruise line.  

It’s good to look for pictures of your ship/cabin # in a Google image search to see what the room looks like.  You can find videos as well that will show you the whole picture, including the balcony size.   I always try to do that before I book a specific cabin to be sure there are no surprises when I get on board! 

Bon Voyage! 

Edited by CarolSW
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, crusin okie said:

In researching cabins I have found valuable info and photos on:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/

I subscribed for the expanded capabilities and have never regretted it.

Agree 100%! I also love their interactive deck plans, where you can drag one deck op top of another and see exactly what is going to be above/below your stateroom so you can make an educated booking.

We are doing our first inside in October on Breeze, after we got a great deal we couldn't pass up. We have no problem with the no-window part as we love the idea of a cool, dark room for mid-day recharging siestas, but we're kinda worried about not having anywhere to sit and put stuff. But our stateroom, 7428, is a sideways one whose layout seems to offer at least a bit more floor space so there's that. It's just my husband and I, so I'm sure we'll be fine. Maybe we'll actually get off our butts in the morning and get going since we have no where to sit and lallygag. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Crazy4themouse~~~~

I wonder if it will resemble cabin 6229?

On the "Ship" page, go all the way down and look at the right hand corner.  Click on "Cabin Check Tool" and follow instructions from there.  Immediately tells you what is above and below the cabin you chose.

During our one experience in an interior room, on a Carnival ship but we can't remember which one, the only real issue we had other than it is small, was there really wasn't anywhere to sit.  But, we never slept as well and we had a great cruise.  It is all what you make it, as you well know.

After 32 cruises we can still say that the worst cruise we have ever had was "Wonderful".

Keith & Sharon

• Like 2

We really like oceanview cabins. The price is usually not much more than an inside and you get some sunlight and visual interest from the window. The price jump from oceanview to balcony tends to be more substantial. A balcony is nice, but usually not worth the extra cost for us.

8 hours ago, Cruise, J.D. said:

We really like oceanview cabins. The price is usually not much more than an inside and you get some sunlight and visual interest from the window. The price jump from oceanview to balcony tends to be more substantial. A balcony is nice, but usually not worth the extra cost for us.

We absolutely agree.  Examples of our absolute favorites would be a cat 7 on the Celebrity Equinox on deck 3 mid ship or a cat 6B on Carnival Vista, also mid ship on deck 3.  

As a matter of fact, we had planned a B2B on the Equinox for 21 days last month.  We had carefully chosen our cabin many months in advance making sure we had the same cabin for both cruises. It was a cat 7 just aft of Guest Services.  Perfect (for us) cabin.  We had done a B2B about 2 years before on the Equinox and our cabin was one door down so we knew what we wanted.  We discovered 4 days prior to sailing that Celebrity had changed our cabin to one on deck 7 all the way aft.  We would not have accepted that cabin for 1 week so we darned sure weren't going to spend 3 weeks in it.  They would not consider any compromise so we cancelled both cruises.  

Our next 3 cruises are balconies but only because we could not find an OV we liked.

Edited by crusin okie
incorrect time frame

We have always sailed balcony since we were sailing in Caribbean with so many views to see. We tried an interior when a 3-5 day itinerary to test it and had no issues. However- location- recommend one that many people do not have to pass by your door such as away from elevators and near end of a hall. Also watch out for cabins near those empty little squares on deck maps- often it can be a  stewards pantry. This means lots of noise early, talking etc. 

Ever since the “great poop” cruise my spouse said prefers a room that can offer ventilation from outside. (we were not on that cruise but can only imagine) 

Buffettfan225,

We, too, are "Parrotheads".  We have been able to attend a number of concerts, the majority of which have been in Frisco, TX.  My Bride had scored some GREAT tickets for his performance here in OKC but it was cancelled for Covid.  😞 This year we are coming in you direction to see him in LV in October.

Fins Up!!