Viking issues at Venice?!??

chezrobert

I received a brief message from my travel agent regarding my Viking Sea Mediterranean Odyssey trip beginning 

on May 13.  We sail out of Venice. The basic message was "no more official dockings" from Viking into Venice--

the Viking Sky was just denied docking in Venice, and will have to go to Ravenna?!? ( almost 3 hours from the 

airport) for Viking travelers booked that way.   Has anyone heard more "official" information??  THANKS!

We're on the Viking that was supposed to enter Vencie harbor this weekend. We received an email last Friday rerouting us to Ravenna, due to the Venice harbor being temporarily closed due to "Pending environmental Studies". There has no hint how long the studies would take. "Environmental studies" may be a euphemism for "we don't want Covid-laced Americans in Venice", but that would just be speculation. Marine Traffic in Venice Harbor right now looks open for freighters.

Our particular excursion in Venice on Sunday was definitely canceled. I suspect they all were. A source now on the Sky says Viking has scheduled excursions in the local area (Ravenna, Bologna, and San Marino).

chezrobert - we are on the same cruise on the 13th. Hopefully Viking will arrange for shuttle service from Venice to Ravenna on our boarding day. I'll give them a call tomorrow and post the answer. I'll also ask whether excursions in Venice booked through Viking for our second day are still happening. Crazy times...

Good luck on getting straight answers!  Our ship “docked” in Venice last week but was actually in Fusina on the mainland in a commercial port.  Viking customer service was clueless as they kept saying docking in Venice when we knew that was NOT true.  However, all documents said Venice/Fusina so a number of passengers went to Fusina only to be turned away.  You had to go into Venice to the old cruise port terminal for check in and then we’re bussed to the ship in Fusina.  Many angry passengers as there was no clarification even 2hen you called Viking.  Their 24 hour “emergency travel” number did not know where passengers were supposed to go and said their information said ship was docked in Fusina!

Good luck on getting straight answers!  Our ship “docked” in Venice last week but was actually in Fusina on the mainland in a commercial port.  Viking customer service was clueless as they kept saying docking in Venice when we knew that was NOT true.  However, all documents said Venice/Fusina so a number of passengers went to Fusina only to be turned away.  You had to go into Venice to the old cruise port terminal for check in and then we’re bussed to the ship in Fusina.  Many angry passengers as there was no clarification even 2hen you called Viking.  Their 24 hour “emergency travel” number did not know where passengers were supposed to go and said their information said ship was docked in Fusina!

6 hours ago, PRH said:

My embarkation was on March 12th.  On February 22nd Viking sent this email (underscore mine), which I copy & pasted below.  I thought it was rather clear we were checking in at the Venice Cruise Terminal.

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming Venice, The Adriatic & Greece voyage. We would like to update you regarding your docking location in Venice.

As you may be aware, the Italian government announced that cruise ships would no longer be allowed to travel through the city's canals. To ensure you enjoy time in Venice, VIKING SKY will dock in the nearby port of Fusina. Venice shore excursions will operate from the ship's alternate docking location.

If this change affects your embarkation and you are traveling independently, please direct your driver to take you to the Venice Cruise Terminal (Stazione Marittima).

Should you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or Viking at 1-855-300-3970, Sunday through Saturday, 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, PT.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Viking

• Like 1

To chezrobert and anyone else on our May 13th cruise - I spoke to Viking this morning (4/19). They said to expect full instructions for boarding along with our final cruise documents which will arrive by email approximately 2 weeks prior to our cruise. Based on what he could see at the moment, our boarding will mirror what is stated in the letter posted by Selion above (thanks for posting!). That sounds like the best possible outcome given the closure of the Grand Canal to cruise ships. So just hold on for a few days and our revisions will be confirmed by Viking.

5 hours ago, austinetc said:

I read today that a huge Art Exhibit begins on Saturday in Venice. First since 2019. That might explain the closure of the harbor for an "Environmental Study". Freighters seem to be unaffected.

The Bienannale is usually held every two years but because of Covid, the last one was 2019. Since it is a regular (biannual) event, I very much doubt it would affect the harbour.

I can thoroughly recommend a visit to the Biennale, it is spread across various venues in the city. We spent two days visiting the various exhibitions.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:04 PM, chezrobert said:

I received a brief message from my travel agent regarding my Viking Sea Mediterranean Odyssey trip beginning 

on May 13.  We sail out of Venice. The basic message was "no more official dockings" from Viking into Venice--

the Viking Sky was just denied docking in Venice, and will have to go to Ravenna?!? ( almost 3 hours from the 

airport) for Viking travelers booked that way.   Has anyone heard more "official" information??  THANKS!

Ouch!

We docked at Fusina on March 11th; it's apparently the site of a now-derelict chemical plant, so the view was somewhat... awful. 

We even got a notice in our rooms about what to do in case warning sirens went off in the case of a chemical emergency. Fortunately, that never happened, but it was a bit unsettling.

Then, there were the guards at the gates of the port; there were about 7 of them, and without fail, they seemed like it was the first time they'd ever seen a tour bus full of grey-haired tourists. I'm sure we looked like unsavory characters, but still... 🙂

When I went to Guest Services upon boarding in Rome a week earlier about excursions in Venice, there was no answer other than "we're working on that." I had 2 private tours scheduled in Venice, both of which I canceled since we weren't allowed to go into the city without tour guides. Finally, about 5 days before we arrived in Venice, the excursions were posted, and I booked one for each day. 

Then, to make matters worse, they canceled the excursion on Sunday because St. Mark's doesn't allow tours on Sundays (not like they've been doing this for years--someone seriously screwed up). 

To Viking's huge credit though, they took the dozen of us in wonderful water taxis and we got a private tour of the Doge's Palace. I thought this resolution was first-class, and I commend Viking for doing so. Treatment like that is why I still love Viking.

The bus drive from Fusina to the old cruise ship port was about a half-hour, not bad after the first time, when it seemed interminable.

Given all of that, we had a great time in Venice and can't wait to back; I wish Venice would get it together and build a serviceable port for cruise ships outside the lagoon somewhere, but I suspect that'll be years in the making.

Edited by longterm

2 hours ago, longterm said:

Ouch!

We docked at Fusina on March 11th; it's apparently the site of a now-derelict chemical plant, so the view was somewhat... awful. 

We even got a notice in our rooms about what to do in case warning sirens went off in the case of a chemical emergency. Fortunately, that never happened, but it was a bit unsettling.

Then, there were the guards at the gates of the port; there were about 7 of them, and without fail, they seemed like it was the first time they'd ever seen a tour bus full of grey-haired tourists. I'm sure we looked like unsavory characters, but still... 🙂

When I went to Guest Services upon boarding in Rome a week earlier about excursions in Venice, there was no answer other than "we're working on that." I had 2 private tours scheduled in Venice, both of which I canceled since we weren't allowed to go into the city without tour guides. Finally, about 5 days before we arrived in Venice, the excursions were posted, and I booked one for each day. 

Then, to make matters worse, they canceled the excursion on Sunday because St. Mark's doesn't allow tours on Sundays (not like they've been doing this for years--someone seriously screwed up). 

To Viking's huge credit though, they took the dozen of us in wonderful water taxis and we got a private tour of the Doge's Palace. I thought this resolution was first-class, and I commend Viking for doing so. Treatment like that is why I still love Viking.

The bus drive from Fusina to the old cruise ship port was about a half-hour, not bad after the first time, when it seemed interminable.

Given all of that, we had a great time in Venice and can't wait to back; I wish Venice would get it together and build a serviceable port for cruise ships outside the lagoon somewhere, but I suspect that'll be years in the making.

There is a simple solution to your problem.  Get to Venice several days before your time so you have some time to enjoy the city. Then you do not have to worry where the ship docks.

DON

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

There is a simple solution to your problem.  Get to Venice several days before your time so you have some time to enjoy the city. Then you do not have to worry where the ship docks.

DON

That works if you start a cruise there, but we started in Rome...

10 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

The Fusina alternative for  Venice docking was originally supposed to be a temporary solution. Looks like it is temporary.

They even moved us the second night, then BACK to Fusina the 3rd. 

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

I wonder if Viking is booking space at piers in and around already scheduled docking arrangements?

I think so, because we heard that we were moved to accommodate an incoming vessel. 

We leave Athens on Sept 3 and arrive Venice the following week for 3 days before continuing on to Rome.

I don’t guess Viking offers excursions that Saturday in Venice since it is an embarkation / debarkation day for a lot of (other) folks? MVJ doesn’t show any, at least,  If that is true, I’ll want to book our own excursions (assuming the Covid police allow us to do so). Of course the tour companies all need to know where to pick us up, especially since many, if not most of the other cruise lines are now docking in Ravenna - a 2.5 hr ride each way. That’ll certainly change their proposals.

The good folks at Viking have told me that Viking will continue to dock in Fusina but always add “for now” and “Viking will contact you with any changes.”

Theres seems to be quite a few savvy Viking cruisers on this forum so if anyone hears (suspects?) our docking arrangements for Venice/Fusina are about to change, kindly let the rest of us know. TIA!

It is not just a Viking issue. All of the cruise lines that have Venice on the itinerary are experiencing a similar issue - Marghera / Fusina / Ravenna / Monfalcone / Trieste - all are alternatives this year. For non-Italians, at least this will improve your knowledge of Italian geography.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GregoryPaul said:

I don’t guess Viking offers excursions that Saturday in Venice since it is an embarkation / debarkation day for a lot of (other) folks?

Viking excursions on the mid-cruise change-over day should be available for those doing the B2B -- but not for those arriving or departing that day.

We did a B2B a couple of years ago with the changeover day in Civitavecchia(Rome). We did not learn until we boarded the ship in Barcelona that there would be Viking sponsored tours for us while other passengers were busy arriving and departing. It worked out great; we were able to book a tour to Tarquina to see the Etruscan Necropolis  -- so much easier than figuring out public transit from the port to the town.

Keep in mind that there is one included tour per port, not one included per day.

• Thanks 1