YIN tip/tricks

jcathers1

My wife and I are staying in a YC inside cabin on the Seashore in July. This will be our first experience in an inside cabin. Any tips/tricks/suggestions/things to think about for us (specific to the YC or general to inside cabins)? We've been in the YC twice on Seaside, just never in this cabin type. TIA.

1 hour ago, jcathers1 said:

...or general to inside cabins.

Any small cruise cabin is helped by bringing strong magnetic hooks.

Hang stuff from the metal walls to save on the limited "closet space." and flat surface area.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mmbcater said:

I heard from a fellow YIN cruiser 2 weeks ago the shower is much smaller... Otherwise he said he is u on deck-so he didnt care...

Shower is coffin sized and there is VERY little closet space. Bathroom itself is extremely small... I'm 6"1' and have to angle my legs sitting on the toilet.

Of course since it is inside there is no natural light and no way to tell what it's like outside. Lastly, the rooms themselves are smaller.

Otherwise, you have all of the YC benefits. Our first YC sailing was YIN on Seaside and now doing YIN on Seashore Saturday. Would I rather have a deluxe? Sure. Would I rather have a deluxe for almost double the price? No 😀

I'm the past I've found really good pricing on YC deluxe cabins...couldn't this time.

Just prepare yourself for no closets and tiny bathroom and you will be fine.

• Like 1

We've got a YC inside on Meraviglia in October, and had them on Seaside and Seashore (those were physically challenged rooms, though, so there was plenty of room).  On Meraviglia, at least, it appears the closet has a bit of extra closet hanging space for shirts.  Of course, that means you only have two drawers on that side versus four and a shelf on Seaside and Seashore.  Have to use the suitcases under the bed as the "spare" drawer and "laundry" hamper.  It is a good trick, and there is plenty of room under the bed, especially if you leave the luggage fully open.  The shower and the toilet "knee" room seem a bit bigger on Meraviglia.

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 2

Magnetic hooks are a great tip. We used them on the ceiling for long dresses and coats. All handbags, hats etc were attached to the walls with the same. 

Expanding hangers were also useful, as was utilising the under bed space. I wouldn't consider storage an issue for 7 nights. We did 10 on Meraviglia, followed by 7 on Seaside as part of a 25 night trip and managed just fine. And our packing/storage challenge did include 16 nights in a cold climate.

Having the tv on the deck cam really helped. 

We also found that taking a night light was very useful. 

If you don't think you'll use it, requesting the removal of the coffee machine gives you more space on the dressing table. 

The bathroom is compact but is definitely worth the trade for a stay in YC. At the end of the day it's a few minutes each day v the facilities of YC. Although admittedly DH struggled more than I did in there. 

I had a YIN on Seaside in 2018, so a while ago now!  It was one of the L shape ones tucked near the stairs and the entrance area to the YC and I don’t remember thinking it was particularly small or having closet issues (however I do travel solo so only 1 person’s ‘stuff’ but that one person always overpacks!).  I actually remember being impressed with the space and layout!  I do remember having issues with the handheld bit of the shower and trying to not spray the water over the floor and certain ‘Goldilocks‘ issues with water temp … either too hot or too cold.  But the VIP service and suite-type facilities definitely made up for any little issues.  I’ll never be able to afford the same type of thing on the other lines so am happy for the opportunity of a YIN!  I have 15 days in a YIN on the Seashore to look forward to in October!

Did just remember some early morning noise coming from the sun deck as I was under the Aurea area of the sun deck and they put the loungers out pretty early … so in October I’m on the lower part of The YC to try and avoid that…

Edited by westcoasttech

Our kids had a YIN on Seaside, one of the L shaped ones.  As mentioned, shower is literally coffin sized.  Other issue was that area of ship smelled like sewage.  Not from in room, but in that area and into room.  Of course, that can be a random thing.

Other than that, the room is nice.

While we haven't stayed in a YIN one trick I learned very early on as a cruiser was that if one wanted a long, luxurious shower to use the facilities in the SPA.  You can stay in for as long as you like in a much larger space and have lots of clean fluffy towels waiting.  In addition, you don't mess up your cabin/shower especially if the configuration is such that water will get all over the place.  

DH has NOT used this method, but since he is 6'3" and slightly on the chubby hubby side, I would recommend to him if we ever sail in a YIN 🙂

• Thanks 1