From 1st May no complimentary Pre Boarding Covid tests

suttonrunner

Azamara encouraged people to cruise by assuring that everyone coming onboard would at least test negative on boarding.  That policy has been thrown out the window at the last minute for many people.  Regardless of the cost involved, the new policy ought to be abandoned promptly.  Either require testing at the dock or just do away with a testing requirement.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I do not think self tests are accepted. Are your kits for self testing?

Ivi

They are proctored self test kits.  You perform the test while on a video call with eMed.  They verify your results on the call and send you an email with the results.  I can’t be absolutely certain that Azamara will accept them (there’s no info in their site even saying the pier testing has changed yet).  The kits are marketed by RCL and Celebrity, and most other cruise lines accept them.  So we will see.

Edited by radarcruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had planned on testing before flying anyway, (because there is no point in going if we test positive!), so this is not that big a change.  I’d prefer it if we also had to test in the terminal to get on board, and I wouldn’t object to a fee that covered the costs, but they seem to be charging more than just that.

29 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Did not get the letter, but did it say that there is testing at pier if they reject your test

Yes:

• Antigen COVID-19 testing is available for $59 USD in the terminal or on the boarding deck.
  • Like 2

It seems I may be the only one who is happy with this change. For me it is a positive.    I would much prefer to have  a pre flight negative covid test in the UK, which I have always had to do, in the past anyway    than fly with uncertainty that  even if I test negative I may test  positive at the pier and face the consequences of that.  I do feel for the passengers who leave a couple of days before their embarkation as they are in a predicament but at least they have pre-boarding ( at a cost) covid testing at the pier or video testing.  I know some people are saying Azamara are nickel and diming  but  it is not their fault we have Covid and they have provided complimentary testing for quite some time now.  This complimentary testing  has never been available for flights or to access countries so why attack Azamara for stopping this.  They have been very kind in allowing this  testing in the past.  I awaiting your negative replies with anticipation

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hmm.  I had just bought a 6-pack of the emed tests, knowing that under current rules we'd need testing for the return to US given our extra time on land after the cruise, even though I'd been hoping sanity might strike in Washington and they wouldn't be needed.  Now it seems like the travel hassles are going the other way again, and we may need them all.

Pretty annoying the way Azamara jerk the customers around on this.  I can understand that bringing in "certified" outside personnel to run full ship testing at boarding is not as cheap as it might seem, but the hassle factor for passengers is significant.  We normally spend a few days onshore before a cruise, and spending time running around trying to find and complete testing in a foreign city is not my preferred use of vacation days.

• Like 5

Just trying to get my head around this new testing requirement. We are flying to Venice from the UK early on Thursday morning and board Azamara Onward in Ravenna on Saturday afternoon. My latest opportunity to get a PCR test before leaving the UK will be on Wednesday evening so I believe that will meet their 72 hour requirement. As other posters have commented  it seems pretty pointless testing so long before embarkation because 3 days is plenty of time to contract Covid!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Penton said:

Just trying to get my head around this new testing requirement. We are flying to Venice from the UK early on Thursday morning and board Azamara Onward in Ravenna on Saturday afternoon. My latest opportunity to get a PCR test before leaving the UK will be on Wednesday evening so I believe that will meet their 72 hour requirement. As other posters have commented  it seems pretty pointless testing so long before embarkation because 3 days is plenty of time to contract Covid!

Well  you could test on the pier 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suttonrunner said:

It seems I may be the only one who is happy with this change. For me it is a positive.    I would much prefer to have  a pre flight negative covid test in the UK, which I have always had to do, in the past anyway    than fly with uncertainty that  even if I test negative I may test  positive at the pier and face the consequences of that.  I do feel for the passengers who leave a couple of days before their embarkation as they are in a predicament but at least they have pre-boarding ( at a cost) covid testing at the pier or video testing.  I know some people are saying Azamara are nickel and diming  but  it is not their fault we have Covid and they have provided complimentary testing for quite some time now.  This complimentary testing  has never been available for flights or to access countries so why attack Azamara for stopping this.  They have been very kind in allowing this  testing in the past.  I awaiting your negative replies with anticipation

Yes!  No negatives from me.  I'm surprised they have given complementary tests for as long as they have.

• Like 4

This new policy works for me…cruise lines can no longer afford to subsidize COVID bureaucracy and I like the idea of confirming my status prior to boarding. I’ll be even happier when the requirement is removed altogether.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It seems morally wrong to make a financial alteration to something for which one has paid in full.

There appears to be more than a single instance of this in recent weeks :

* testing charge

* removal of access to spa from some suites

* removal of B2B on board credit

I do not object to testing prior to boarding, in fact I welcome it.

My objection at this point in time is that an extra charge has been added to, or an inclusion has been removed from a cruise for which one has paid in full.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

It seems morally wrong to make a financial alteration to something for which one has paid in full.

There appears to be more than a single instance of this in recent weeks :

* testing charge

* removal of access to spa from some suites

* removal of B2B on board credit

I do not object to testing prior to boarding, in fact I welcome it.

My objection at this point in time is that an extra charge has been added to, or an inclusion has been removed from a cruise for which one has paid in full.

There is no rational reason to assume the costs of Covid, should be borne by someone else. Eventually this added burden needs to be absorbed by someone and since you are for testing, then it makes sense for you to participate in the costs.

My personal opinion is the whole process should be abolished, so at least I have a reason to be frustrated by the costs.

9 minutes ago, mdpa said:

There is no rational reason to assume the costs of Covid, should be borne by someone else. Eventually this added burden needs to be absorbed by someone and since you are for testing, then it makes sense for you to participate in the costs.

My personal opinion is the whole process should be abolished, so at least I have a reason to be frustrated by the costs.

I did not say changes should not be made.

The sentence below from my post indicates that one should not have to pay more for something for which they have already paid in full. I.E. an added unanticipated expense levied after full payment.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, suttonrunner said:

I quite agree with your thoughts on this, however for us pulling the plug 10 days before traveling and leaving us having to replan travel arrangements to include a covid test to meet their criteria over a Bank Holiday weekend is not the best way to treat customers.

• Like 5

It has to be in Azamara’s best interest to commence each cruise as Covid free as is humanly possible.   Accordingly, Pier testing before embarking has to play a vital part in achieving this.  This is not without cost and I for one would understand a nominal fee (£5,€5,$5) being levied.  To charge $59 however, skews somewhat their motive and adds to the seemingly increasing “blurred” decision making of the new owners.

Regards

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, royallondon said:

It has to be in Azamara’s best interest to commence each cruise as Covid free as is humanly possible.   Accordingly, Pier testing before embarking has to play a vital part in achieving this.  This is not without cost and I for one would understand a nominal fee (£5,€5,$5) being levied.  To charge $59 however, skews somewhat their motive and adds to the seemingly increasing “blurred” decision making of the new owners.

Regards

Well said!

Those who think this idea is all fine miss some of the points.

If you want testing to avoid infection being brought onboard,  do it after people have arrived at their point of departure and completed travel journeys.

If you want people to pay that’s ok but stop looking at every turn and corner to nickel and dime people via revenue management, you’ve gone way too far now in that area with your decisions.  Charge $10 or let me bring my own diy test kit and watch me do it.  Don’t be greedy.

If you are genuinely a destination focused line recognise that many guests create detailed plans for their pre boarding days that do not include time to go and get private tests

The timing is rubbish for guests sailing in early May who have plans made and as usual your communication is as clear as mud, 72/24 hours or a day? From what, when I arrive at the terminal, my boarding time or sailing time?  
And not everyone has ready access to testing facilities in their airport/neighbourhood at a time that fits their needs. And don’t forget holiday closures make things even harder.

Like others I’m currently shaking my head at the decisions being made set against how the onboard experience is right now on one of your ships.

Come on Azamara we know you can do so much better and we really want you to sail at full capacity giving guests a great experience. But you need to really look at how things are from the typical guest’s perspective, not the head office, travel agents or frequent users angle. 

Edited by uktog
Spelling
  • Like 14

I‘m not so concerned about to pay a few $ extra. There is an organised testing at the pier and i have to pay a premium price for it. Not nice, but no organisation burden.

But to allow people not tested within the last 72 hours on board is an attack on my health. To wear a mask voluntary doesn‘t protect myself. Wearing masks is mainly to protect others. I‘m neither a satisfied nor a happy customer.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MouseBerry said:

I‘m not so concerned about to pay a few $ extra. There is an organised testing at the pier and i have to pay a premium price for it. Not nice, but no organisation burden.

But to allow people not tested within the last 72 hours on board is an attack on my health. To wear a mask voluntary doesn‘t protect myself. Wearing masks is mainly to protect others. I‘m neither a satisfied nor a happy customer.

I’m personally thrilled with the changes and I’m seeing a continuous move in the right direction. Those wanting to keep things the way they were the last two years, are detrimental to us ever getting back to pre-covid cruising.

• Like 1

I am willing to do whatever sort of testing is requested.  We have to pay for the private test I’ve arranged before we fly, and if we have to pay for one at the pier, that’s ok too.  My chief complaint is that we sail on 2 May, and I only know anything about any requirements because I read this thread.  I haven’t had any emails, my DH, who is the lead name on the booking, hasn’t had any emails, and our travel agent hasn’t had any either.  She is now trying to get information from Azamara.

Some years ago, one of our cruises was cancelled, and I only found out because of Cruise Critic.  Azamara never officially notified me or our travel agent.  I thought those communication problems might have been addressed at some point in the last 10 years, but apparently not. I will be very happy when Azamara have their own IT system separate from RCCL, maybe these things will improve!

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 3

@mpda: I would be happy to have cruising as ante quo Covid. If it is safe, at least for vaccinated people, fine. But then we should get rid of this testing with little benefit (and high cost).

But I'm quite sure we will not see cruising as it was a few years ago. I had 3 cruises in the last 12 month and the quality and standards have consitently moved to the lower end. Cruise industry is still in financial trouble. Nickel and dime will increase.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, uktog said:

Good point, can I bring my NHS Antigen test and do it in front of them, we might have two spare at the time of our cruise.  Its exactly the same test that they use.........  I am really not prepared to lose some planned sight seeing time at our point of embarkation.  

American Queen stopped providing testing earlier this year and had to reverse their decision in weeks due to customer backlash.  I wonder if the same will apply here......

I was in a zoom meeting with Azamara yesterday and the test has to be a "proctored" test. So, you can use one of the EMed at home tests that are proctored (witnessed through a call, and they send you a certificate), but you cannot use an at home test that is not proctored. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, lizziebargain said:

Does anyone know if you can use OBC to purchase the test "in the terminal or on the boarding deck". Thanks in advance.

You cannot. It is a 3rd party provider handling the testing, and you will pay them directly.

• Thanks 1