$90 Per Day 😱😱

ladysail2

Just received an email to start planning my just reserved cruise on Royal, 2023.  Beverage Package..$90 per day!!

Shocking!!   The beverage package on the ‘C’ cruise line is still being offered at $51.95.  My Royal booking is in Canadian dollars…wonder if this beverage package is in US or Canadian?  I don’t normally book it anyway..but I like to look at my options….😩

35 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If they are charging $90 a day for the beverage package, I hate to think what the cost of a single drink might be. 🤯

They are preparing us for the big ‘surprise’!  😳

• Like 1

That's pricey!

What I've noticed on NCL and Princess is that the basic fare quotes (without drinks, tips, wifi etc) are not substantially less $ than the padded up fare.  I wonder whether the steep a-la-carte beverage package pricing is strategically arrived at,  to sway cruise shoppers to choose 'all-in'. 

Has the price ever jump up lately , maybe there a big sale coming at $18 a day 😁

all I can say I am glad I am Diamond and get 4 drinks per day on our sea pass 

on our September cruise it is $88.20 a day 

6CA84F17-6BCE-481E-BA61-3A668DE45578.jpeg

Edited by Airbalancer

1 hour ago, lots-of-km2 said:

That's pricey!

What I've noticed on NCL and Princess is that the basic fare quotes (without drinks, tips, wifi etc) are not substantially less $ than the padded up fare.  I wonder whether the steep a-la-carte beverage package pricing is strategically arrived at,  to sway cruise shoppers to choose 'all-in'. 

RCL doesn’t AL package yet , Celebrity does 

19 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

Just received an email to start planning my just reserved cruise on Royal, 2023.  Beverage Package..$90 per day!!

Shocking!!   The beverage package on the ‘C’ cruise line is still being offered at $51.95.  My Royal booking is in Canadian dollars…wonder if this beverage package is in US or Canadian?  I don’t normally book it anyway..but I like to look at my options….😩

It is going up to $59/day May 1st. 

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

It is going up to $59/day May 1st. 

That’s quite the jump too….but not as bad as in the $90’s.  Good thing the 6 vouchers on Royal will do me.  I’m more of a coffee and water person now. 

For our sailing Sept 18 on Oasis it is showing as 72.99 PP per day.  I had put it in our cart back when there was a 'sale' (tongue in cheek) at 65.99 and it is still in my cart.  I think I will take that price and see where it ends up.  My wife is prime for this sailing so for that reason alone we were debating skipping it, but I think we will wait until we are at least Diamond and with the combination of Prime (I will likely hit prime also so we both will be) and Diamond we can skip the UDP going forward.

Cruise lines have been advertising cruises at rock bottom prices to entice people to book. So, I guess they're making money by inflating the prices of everything else. I'm cruising to Alaska in a week and I noticed RCL raised the price of its specialty restaurants. The steak house was USD 44.95 a week ago, it's now USD 52.95. I guess USD 29 for the steak house on the Majestic Princess two months ago was quite the bargain.

Unless you drink a lot that is a lot of money. Paying for it by the glass might be cheaper if you only have a couple of drinks a day plus some wine at meal time. But then only you know how much you drink daily.

If you have status on Royal Caribbean, then you get a number of drinks for free each day.  With these free drinks we might purchase one or 2 additional drinks.  Doing this ends up far less expensive than a drink package.  

Edited by Magicat
Translated to English or something resembling it.

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

If you have status on Royal Caribbean, then you get a number of drinks for free each day.  With these free drinks we might purchase one or 2 additional drinks.  Doing this ends up far less expensive than a drink package.  

As Diamond you get 4 drinks , Diamond + 5 drinks 

6 hours ago, ski ww said:

Unless you drink a lot that is a lot of money. Paying for it by the glass might be cheaper if you only have a couple of drinks a day plus some wine at meal time. But then only you know how much you drink daily.

I would say I drink a lot on vacation. We did the math for carnival and we definitely

came out ahead. I did order top shelf and other non-alcoholic drinks that are covered so that helps. 
But I’m not sure it would be worth it at $90. 😬

(no judgement to those who do find it worth it.)

23 hours ago, cmich068 said:

I suspect it's a combination of the cruise line hiking the base price in USD and offering an extremely subpar exchange rate when they convert to Canadian. Shame we can't pay in USD for add ons. 

I believe any purchases are in US $.  If I use my OBC to pay for a purchase, it’s in US $.  I have some bookings in US and some in CAD…I’ll take a look to what currency any purchases are shown.

10 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I believe any purchases are in US $.  If I use my OBC to pay for a purchase, it’s in US $.  I have some bookings in US and some in CAD…I’ll take a look to what currency any purchases are shown.

I checked my bookings…on Royal, if your booking is in CAD $, then the purchases are in CAD $….which made my drink package $114.42 pp/pd….if I wanted  to purchase it.   The email I received from Royal the other day stated $90 pd/pp…so that must have been in US$.   I’ll be happy with the vouchers and get-together drinks….😁

• Like 1

Insane. On Carnival I was very happy with Cheers at $50 something a day (only time I've ever bought a drink package) but at that price, definitely wouldn't buy - especially not when taking into account my diamond drink vouchers each day, but even without them I don't think I'd buy. 

Edited by cmich068

On 4/25/2022 at 12:55 PM, MaddyandMax said:

My October Oasis cruise is at US$98 a day...

Received a notice that for my 2023 Royal C cruise, I can purchase the drink package at 20% off, for only $92 US pp/pd.  ☹️ So I guess the price is scheduled to go up again and again.