What happens with the Azamara help if one tests positive before cruise?

travelberlin

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I see on a UK Facebook page four people tested positive on boarding today and are now I quote "in a hotel in the middle of nowhere" They were asking for advice as they have no idea what happens next.  Will be interesting to watch how that one develops

Uktog, would you mind posting any updates you see about this?  Thanks

• Like 2

There are different aspects to consider around the potential for testing positive after you have already left home.  It's a fact of life that it can happen, and does happen.  I think it's definitely a good idea to have done some level of personal planning as to what we might do if we get unlucky, maybe something like a "in case of covid" plan prepared ahead of time.  Hopefully the port agents would have this, but I can envision them being challenged to handle larger numbers than the "one-off" injury or illness cases they are staffed for.  Some topics:

1) what are the local quarantine rules (do you have to be supervised, can you get take-out food, sit outside, how long...)?

2) what are local resources in case you become seriously ill?

3) how do you get release from quarantine and certified to travel again?

4) what is your plan for spouse/travel companion who tests negative?  Do you use a separate room to avoid cross-infection?

5) Are you self-insuring for costs?  If you are depending on travel insurance, can you cover the cost until reimbursed?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, curmudgeon98 said:

There are different aspects to consider around the potential for testing positive after you have already left home.  It's a fact of life that it can happen, and does happen.  I think it's definitely a good idea to have done some level of personal planning as to what we might do if we get unlucky, maybe something like a "in case of covid" plan prepared ahead of time.  Hopefully the port agents would have this, but I can envision them being challenged to handle larger numbers than the "one-off" injury or illness cases they are staffed for.  Some topics:

1) what are the local quarantine rules (do you have to be supervised, can you get take-out food, sit outside, how long...)?

2) what are local resources in case you become seriously ill?

3) how do you get release from quarantine and certified to travel again?

4) what is your plan for spouse/travel companion who tests negative?  Do you use a separate room to avoid cross-infection?

5) Are you self-insuring for costs?  If you are depending on travel insurance, can you cover the cost until reimbursed?

Thanks you are right. All this questions arise now. Before the Azamara decision of no more testing at the terminal, with their terms and conditions of being Azamara the one who would take care of those issues, we had a reassurance that in the unfortunate case that we tested positive, Azamara would be there to support us. Now we are on our own.

In my case, if I would have known this change was going to happen:

1) I would not have booked my cruise (after all I have been in most ports of call and this cruise is not something really necessary to take additional stress into account) or

2) I would have made arrangements to flight to the port only one day before in order to have the possibility of doing a PCR test at home which would have been valid at embarkation.

I can not cancel it now because I will incur in costs of international business tickets and hotel stays which no one would reimburse.

I am disappointed that I was brought into a contract with Azamara under different circumstances and days before my cruise Azamara has taken the liberty to change the conditions attached to my booking. I did not book one year in advance in order to minimize unknowns in relation to COVID. But despite that, now I face changes which I do not like.

I am sure that others do not have any problem. Some people flight the same day of the cruise. Others will be able to test within the 72 hours. But others like me will be looking for a place to get a test on the day of embarkation in a foreign country having the anxiety of being left alone in case we test positive. This was not the deal.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks you are right. All this questions arise now. Before the Azamara decision of no more testing at the terminal, with their terms and conditions of being Azamara the one who would take care of those issues, we had a reassurance that in the unfortunate case that we tested positive, Azamara would be there to support us. Now we are on our own.

In my case, if I would have known this change was going to happen:

1) I would not have booked my cruise (after all I have been in most ports of call and this cruise is not something really necessary to take additional stress into account) or

2) I would have made arrangements to flight to the port only one day before in order to have the possibility of doing a PCR test at home which would have been valid at embarkation.

I can not cancel it now because I will incur in costs of international business tickets and hotel stays which no one would reimburse.

I am disappointed that I was brought into a contract with Azamara under different circumstances and days before my cruise Azamara has taken the liberty to change the conditions attached to my booking. I did not book one year in advance in order to minimize unknowns in relation to COVID. But despite that, now I face changes which I do not like.

I am sure that others do not have any problem. Some people flight the same day of the cruise. Others will be able to test within the 72 hours. But others like me will be looking for a place to get a test on the day of embarkation in a foreign country having the anxiety of being left alone in case we test positive. This was not the deal.

Ivi

Agree!

There are those who argue that the sooner cruising returns to a semblance of “normal”, the quicker the return of full ships and profitability.

I would argue the latter will be achieved more quickly when cruisers are convinced that their health concerns and investments are protected,

• Like 6

1 minute ago, nordski said:

Do we know for certain that AZ will not make arrangements and cover expenses if we test positive along the way?  Maybe the departure is in question if we choose to test before arrival at the pier. Otherwise, the language still remains on the website that they will support us as before and nothing was mentioned in the letter that it's been eliminated. Only the fee for testing has changed, unless I'm missing something??

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, SunnyNy said:

Do we know for certain that AZ will not make arrangements and cover expenses if we test positive along the way?  Maybe the departure is in question if we choose to test before arrival at the pier. Otherwise, the language still remains on the website that they will support us as before and nothing was mentioned in the letter that it's been eliminated. Only the fee for testing has changed, unless I'm missing something??

This is exactly the question which Azamara is not clarifying and the reason for me starting this thread. 
We have seen different answers here and we are speculating that Azamara will not provide any support anymore.
Ivi  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

This is exactly the question which Azamara is not clarifying and the reason for me starting this thread. 
We have seen different answers here and we are speculating that Azamara will not provide any support anymore.
Ivi  

But are the different answers coming from AZ, or from various poster's assumptions?  I'm not reading where anyone has heard this directly from AZ, although I may have overlooked it in this busy forum.  I do plan to call AZ reps after they've had more time to be briefed by supervisors, and have already sent an email with this question.  I'll be sure to post here if I have any info.

I don't disagree with you, though - their information has been cryptic and incomplete in detail. And sometimes NOT saying something can raise more questions and concerns.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SunnyNy said:

But are the different answers coming from AZ, or from various poster's assumptions?  I'm not reading where anyone has heard this directly from AZ, although I may have overlooked it in this busy forum.  I do plan to call AZ reps after they've had more time to be briefed by supervisors, and have already sent an email with this question.  I'll be sure to post here if I have any info.

I don't disagree with you, though - their information has been cryptic and incomplete in detail. And sometimes NOT saying something can raise more questions and concerns.

Agree completely. Thanks. If you are able to clarify this it would be great. 
Ivi

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SunnyNy said:

Did you see post #24 of this thread?

Just reporting back on a conversation with an AZ rep this morning on a few covid-related questions.  She took notes of my questions, then put me on hold while she verified the answers with a supervisor, which I appreciated rather than her "winging it"!

1) Q:  regarding PCR tests before arrival at the pier, is it 72 hrs. or 3 days?

A:  72 hrs, but we do allow for time differences. Either way, it doesn't have to be exactly 72 hrs.

2)  Q:  are monitored self tests permitted?

A: Yes, as long as there is a date, time and medical professional's name appearing on the certificate.

3)  Q: Will AZ still provide assistance for isolation , etc. and cover return travel expenses if we test positive      once on the ship?

A: Yes. We will cover any costs associated with isolation off the ship if your insurance doesn't cover it.

*She distinguished this from testing positive AT the pier.  There, she said you "HAVE  to  travel insurance for us to help you."

Since I'm on a B2B, I asked about covid testing in between.  She said a test is required, but there would be no charge for it.

Hope that helps some of you.  On the positive side, I was only on hold about 5 mins.  If someone is able to verify this information, or hears something different, please post.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Re Point 3 that seems to reflect what is happening on the ground in Italy and being reported elsewhere.  The person who tested positive at the pier had travel insurance and although Azamara has arranged for them to be in a very very remote hotel (not sure here) and the person who tested positive cannot go outside but their partner who is negative can).  So Azamara do make the arrangements  I think it will become clearer at check out who is paying the bill - the travellers insurers or Azamara to claim back on the insurer.

Now heaven forbid anyone who travels without travel insurance......

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, uktog said:

Re Point 3 that seems to reflect what is happening on the ground in Italy and being reported elsewhere.  The person who tested positive at the pier had travel insurance and although Azamara has arranged for them to be in a very very remote hotel (not sure here) and the person who tested positive cannot go outside but their partner who is negative can).  So Azamara do make the arrangements  I think it will become clearer at check out who is paying the bill - the travellers insurers or Azamara to claim back on the insurer.

Now heaven forbid anyone who travels without travel insurance......

Uktog, I've thought all along, and still do now, that Az will look to see what travel insurance will cover first.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SunnyNy said:

Uktog, I've thought all along, and still do now, that Az will look to see what travel insurance will cover first.

Which is sound business sense.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SunnyNy said:

Just reporting back on a conversation with an AZ rep this morning on a few covid-related questions.  She took notes of my questions, then put me on hold while she verified the answers with a supervisor, which I appreciated rather than her "winging it"!

1) Q:  regarding PCR tests before arrival at the pier, is it 72 hrs. or 3 days?

A:  72 hrs, but we do allow for time differences. Either way, it doesn't have to be exactly 72 hrs.

2)  Q:  are monitored self tests permitted?

A: Yes, as long as there is a date, time and medical professional's name appearing on the certificate.

3)  Q: Will AZ still provide assistance for isolation , etc. and cover return travel expenses if we test positive      once on the ship?

A: Yes. We will cover any costs associated with isolation off the ship if your insurance doesn't cover it.

*She distinguished this from testing positive AT the pier.  There, she said you "HAVE  to  travel insurance for us to help you."

Since I'm on a B2B, I asked about covid testing in between.  She said a test is required, but there would be no charge for it.

Hope that helps some of you.  On the positive side, I was only on hold about 5 mins.  If someone is able to verify this information, or hears something different, please post.

Thanks a lot for getting this answers. Very helpful 👍

I do not quite understand this:  “She distinguished this from testing positive AT the pier.  There, she said you "HAVE  to  travel insurance for us to help you."”

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I do not quite understand this:  “She distinguished this from testing positive AT the pier.  There, she said you "HAVE  to  travel insurance for us to help you."”

Ivi

Why not give them a call and ask for clarification?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Ivi

@SunnyNy should the sentence in question read :

"Have to have travel insurance for us to help you"?

• Like 1

The benefit of testing before traveling is that if your positive, you can either not travel and get a future cruise credit , or if you get your results whilst abroad the day before boarding and you are positive, you have the option to get on a flight home asap. The local authorities would not know you are positive . However if you test in a local pharmacy the day before, they then have your passport number and immigration are informed, so flying home is then not an option if that country operated quarantine. 
Im not advocating flying home positive. That’s a personal decision but I know plenty that have.

• Like 1

Guest Cooper2020

My understanding was (prior to Azamara recently changing their testing policy of not requiring a pre-boarding test)  -  as long as you  had a negative test prior to arriving at  the pier then Azamara would  help you with  travel/accommodation  etc not covered by your  own covid travel insurance if you were unfortunate to test positive at their complimentary testing. 

"If you test positive for COVID-19 at the terminal, Azamara will cover travel change fees and accommodation expenses not covered by travel insurance, upon presentation of proof of a negative antigen or PCR COVID test prior to travel.”   

Azamara have now scrapped the  pre boarding test  - you now just need to bring with you, your negative covid test results  taken no more than 72 hrs (PCR) or within one day (lateral flow) of boarding.  If you cannot prove with a certificate that you were negative to covid pre travel, then the onus is on you  (not Azamara) if you test positive at the pier.   For travellers having a mini break prior to embarkation again it is important that they organise  their own negative test in a timely manner  to  be covered by Azamara.  

I just noticed that Azamara has changed the language on their website regarding pre-boarding PCR testing.  It now says the test can be no more than 3 days rather than the  72 hour limit they had previously required. 

• Like 1

Guest Cooper2020
23 minutes ago, SunnyNy said:

I just noticed that Azamara has changed the language on their website regarding pre-boarding PCR testing.  It now says the test can be no more than 3 days rather than the  72 hour limit they had previously required. 

That is so much better now - less confusing for a lot of people especially with the time zone differences

3 hours ago, SunnyNy said:

Thanks for pointing this out. Am I correct to think that if my embarkation day/time is on a Tuesday at 14:00, I can take a PCR test on Saturday  before 13.00? This would make a difference for me because the test venues require to take the test before 13.00 in order to have same day results.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

Guest Cooper2020
3 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks for pointing this out. Am I correct to think that if my embarkation day/time is on a Tuesday at 14:00, I can take a PCR test on Sunday before 13.00? This would make a difference for me because the test venues require to take the test before 13.00 in order to have same day results.

Ivi

If it is 3 days before instead of 72 hours before then you can take the test anytime from Saturday at 0000hrs  until you board on the Tuesday.