Mardi Gras sitting areas for mom?

tmarquez

Hi

I am taking my mom on the Mardi Gras on 5/7.  I'm looking for suggestions on good reading spots.  She is VERY picky.  She likes to be outside, under shade, not in  lounger, close to activity for people watching (she is opposed to the Serenity area).  Has anyone found a spot like this?  It would be awesome to know ahead of time so I can get her settled and actually enjoy my cruise too! 😊

Thanks for any info!

Trish

34 minutes ago, tmarquez said:

Hi

I am taking my mom on the Mardi Gras on 5/7.  I'm looking for suggestions on good reading spots.  She is VERY picky.  She likes to be outside, under shade, not in  lounger, close to activity for people watching (she is opposed to the Serenity area).  Has anyone found a spot like this?  It would be awesome to know ahead of time so I can get her settled and actually enjoy my cruise too! 😊

Thanks for any info!

Trish

Is your mother physically impaired? Any reason she can't find her own spot?

Have her sit at one of the tables on the sides  of the Lido  or rear of the Lido deck near the windows. Those areas are covered and shaded. Enough traffic to people watch. 

2 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Is your mother physically impaired? Any reason she can't find her own spot?

Good questions. Is she suffering from mental impairment such as dementia?

Perhaps she would rather make her own decisions. I am 72 and if my daughter thinks she needs to have me "settled" before enjoying her day, I would set her straight immediately.

If your mother is not capable of being on her own, that is another set of problems which needs to be carefully thought about before "settling" her some where.

• Like 2

Hello Trish! How kind of you to think of your mom's comfort and contentment. 🙂

We were on the first sailing of the Mardi Gras last summer. It is a great ship! Here are some suggestions from our teenager who wandered the ship a LOT...  He just gave me suggestions for outdoor seating in regular chairs (not loungers) near people:

• Deck 16 near Big Chicken
  • Deck 8 near Pig & Anchor
  • Deck 8 near Watering Hole/hot tubs (my suggestion, not his)
  • Deck 8 near Patio Pool 
  • Deck 18 Aft near the Ultimate Playground has some fun seats that can be in the shade depending on the time of day

We hope you and your mom have a great cruise! We'll be there again in July.

• Like 4

@tmarquez Hi Trish, I'll assume your mom is just elderly, not necessarily impaired or with dementia. I know Mardi Gras is a huge ship and I get that you're just trying to avoid having to explore umpteen decks looking for a great spot. Hope your mom is happy wherever that spot ends up being and you enjoy your cruise, too. I just want to mention to be aware of the restroom locations, as suggested above. Seen posts saying the restrooms were a little hard to find on Mardi Gras sometimes. Seems they're around a corner or down a hallway and not always obviously marked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaucyWench said:

Hello Trish! How kind of you to think of your mom's comfort and contentment. 🙂

We were on the first sailing of the Mardi Gras last summer. It is a great ship! Here are some suggestions from our teenager who wandered the ship a LOT...  He just gave me suggestions for outdoor seating in regular chairs (not loungers) near people:

• Deck 16 near Big Chicken
  • Deck 8 near Pig & Anchor
  • Deck 8 near Watering Hole/hot tubs (my suggestion, not his)
  • Deck 8 near Patio Pool 
  • Deck 18 Aft near the Ultimate Playground has some fun seats that can be in the shade depending on the time of day

We hope you and your mom have a great cruise! We'll be there again in July.

Thank you SaucyWench (and your teenager!!)...this is exactly what I needed.  I hope you have a blast on your July cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mondello said:

@tmarquez Hi Trish, I'll assume your mom is just elderly, not necessarily impaired or with dementia. I know Mardi Gras is a huge ship and I get that you're just trying to avoid having to explore umpteen decks looking for a great spot. Hope your mom is happy wherever that spot ends up being and you enjoy your cruise, too. I just want to mention to be aware of the restroom locations, as suggested above. Seen posts saying the restrooms were a little hard to find on Mardi Gras sometimes. Seems they're around a corner or down a hallway and not always obviously marked.

Thank you mondello!  I have read about the sometimes crazy bathroom situation and appreciate the heads up.

9 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Have her sit at one of the tables on the sides  of the Lido  or rear of the Lido deck near the windows. Those areas are covered and shaded. Enough traffic to people watch. 

I agree with this.  We used one of the tables on Lido in the mornings to meet up with our friends in December and our kids in March - it was a great spot.

14 hours ago, tmarquez said:

Hi

Thanks for any info!

Trish

Have lunch at Big Chicken!! 
Get anything at Emeril’s!

have a great cruise!!