Saint John, NB Canada Waterfront Development & Construction

JessyCruises

I live across the street from the cruise terminal in Saint John, NB.  We moved into this condo building in September 2020 so have yet to see any cruise ships come in.  I am excited to finally start seeing them next week!

There are some big changes coming soon to the Saint John Waterfront which I think cruisers are going to love, including a container village next to the cruise port and other exciting projects.  Here are some details about what is coming.  

https://area506.ca/container-village

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/waterfront-design-plans-revealed-1.6342861

They have already started work on the sites.  I am not sure when it is all supposed to be ready but it is kind of an eye sore at the moment.  It looks like at least the Container Village is suppose to be ready this summer.  Hopefully they pretty this up before long.  

I will follow up as the work progresses.

06B4D063-BEDD-426E-BC10-25750E17EF21.jpeg

1338FE8E-39EB-4D40-8198-27708B120251.jpeg

CC2A3615-1DFB-4E0E-BA25-C9409E50C1FE.jpeg

54E3F396-9CF6-4A57-9A4D-938BBFCF8EF5.jpeg

78C03039-00A0-4AA1-B436-F5DE16446CD1.jpeg

F1D01B09-4D7F-42CF-B7C6-961ED62FF04F.jpeg

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 6

• JessyCruises changed the title to Saint John, NB Canada Waterfront Development & Construction

What we like about Saint John is that feels like a real city, not a tourist trap.  I hope the waterfront development will not include businesses such as Diamonds International and Margaritaville, making it a clone of all the Caribbean ports.

I have seen some articles about homes built from containers, and they are quite nice.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

What we like about Saint John is that feels like a real city, not a tourist trap.  I hope the waterfront development will not include businesses such as Diamonds International and Margaritaville, making it a clone of all the Caribbean ports.

I have seen some articles about homes built from containers, and they are quite nice.

I cannot imagine anything like DI or Maragaritaville coming here.  The development is not specific to cruise ships.  It has needed it for a long time. I am excited to see what it will look like.

I am thinking the container village will be very hipster lol

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I hope the waterfront development will not include businesses such as Diamonds International and Margaritaville, making it a clone of all the Caribbean ports.

The season for eastern Canada cruises is relatively short and not particularly intense, so those Caribbean traps cannot make a go of it here. Saint John, Halifax, and Charlottetown have to make it as real cities, and all the better for that. May Señor Frog be forever exiled from Canada.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Saint John welcomed its first ship since 2019!  Regent Seven Seas Navigator pulled in around 10PM last night and is leaving early this afternoon.  Too bad it is raining!

This photo looks like it was taken from our condo building.

EB40FB52-A4F5-4D62-9BAB-857516AA2387.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing all of this. We just booked a cruise for September and this will be one of the ports. While I lived in MA for 19 years and did ME, I’ve never visited here.  As far as the container park, they actually can be pretty nice.  We’ve seen the one in Vegas and enjoyed all the locally owned boutique type shops.  Hopefully yours will be open by then.

Erika

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pics for today  of how the Container Village and Market Square Boardwalk are

coming along in Saint John. Apparently there will be a Cannabis NB store in the village.  That is the govt run Cannabis dispensary.

DA9BD3A8-E047-4A0E-9273-9F2A84739C7D.jpeg

31486FC0-B59C-400F-8BCF-D61F1FCBF7A0.jpeg

A4A03E90-2CE6-46F7-BA54-A2F1A084258A.jpeg

0F91302F-5C3A-49C8-9860-07C1FB0D5D97.jpeg

0074C3DC-7641-4B8B-94FE-2463AD718A6B.jpeg

56A98EA7-9759-4171-B163-90FA988E8DCB.jpeg

C4445C23-6581-492C-8ECD-7FF52FE28629.jpeg

241467D5-5532-471A-A669-73AF297FE83E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest moe46
On 4/25/2022 at 1:00 PM, shipgeeks said:

Interesting; thank you!  Saint John is one of our favorite ports.  We will be there in September.  Please keep us posted.

What do you like to do there? I'll be there in August.

• 10 months later...

JessyCruises, We appreciated your info about the Container Village, and we enjoyed it on our visit last September.  This year, we will be docked in Saint John overnight: Monday, September 18 through Tuesday, September 19. Any thoughts about whether there might be any additional attractions there?

• 4 weeks later...

Is this were the outdoor tented shops used to be?  Inside the fenced part of the cruise port?

If you live across the street, we watched your place be built over the years; we have cruised almost annually to Saint John for at least 10 years--probably 12!   🙂    

I look forward to a lobster roll!  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

JessyCruissers,    Since you live by the port in StJohn, please give us some info on how easy it is to get the The  Bay of Fundy.  How far, transportation , etc.  Thank you, our group will be there in October 2023. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 5:35 PM, mizLORInj said:

Is this were the outdoor tented shops used to be?  Inside the fenced part of the cruise port?

If you live across the street, we watched your place be built over the years; we have cruised almost annually to Saint John for at least 10 years--probably 12!   🙂    

I look forward to a lobster roll!  

Wow - not sure how I missed this post!  Yes I think it is where the tents used to be.  Before I moved uptown I had not been near the port when there was a ship in so I am not 100% sure.

I am a horrible Canadian/Maratimer - I hate lobster AND hockey 🙂

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2023 at 9:33 PM, D & S said:

JessyCruissers,    Since you live by the port in StJohn, please give us some info on how easy it is to get the The  Bay of Fundy.  How far, transportation , etc.  Thank you, our group will be there in October 2023. 

Sorry for just seeing this.  You will already be in the Bay of Fundy - you are in the Bay when you are docked.  What specific are are you trying to get to?

We do not have rideshares here so taxis, a rental car, or an excursion are really the only options for getting around.