MSC Dinner dress code?

LeighDee

yup, proved it🙂

TH III: I'm so powerful, wealthy, well dressed, and sophisticated that I booked a cruise on the dinky SS Minnow with the Skippy/Gilligan...while looking down my nose at everyone else.

I like MSC for the diversity vs other cruise lines offerings from Floriduh...but let's be honest it is the Minnow; so cargo shorts and aloha shirts are fitting.

FYI: I have been the guest on two Billionaires yachts'; and learnt one thing of note...taste is subjective and if it ain't got 2 helicopters! you are a scrub wanna be...

❤️ weeks and will be enjoying Seashore in my shorts!

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baelor said:

I agree, but only one restaurant in my (large) city has any "formal" dress restrictions, and it is just a jacket.  I see people dropping $300+ per person at nice steakhouses in athletic shorts and sneakers (the dominant level of formality, except for couples on dates).  No one cares.  Part of the dispute here is undoubtedly cultural.  I have see graphic T-shirts with expletives on them right next to full-length fur coats at the opera.

Oh, I understand your point!... Surely things are culturally changing elsewhere, but at least here where I live it hasn't gone that far. By and large, it is expected that here one goes to a nice steakhouse (apart those ones that are part of a mall's food court zone), at least with long pants and a collared shirt. Perhaps Europeans are just somewhat a little bit more formal than Americans these days? Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Oh, I understand your point!... Surely things are culturally changing elsewhere, but at least here where I live it hasn't gone that far. By and large, it is expected that here one goes to a nice steakhouse (apart those ones that are part of a mall's food court zone), at least with long pants and a collared shirt. Perhaps Europeans are just somewhat a little bit more formal than Americans these days? Have a nice day!...

Where you are or all of Europe? That's a pretty broad brush.

From what I've seen, Europe, like the rest of the world, is becoming less formal every day...but maybe where you live is an exception to the rule...which then proves it.

Have a nice day!

It is interesting the lengths some will go to to avoid adhering to any societal standards. 

This isn't a conversation about how people should dress when in public or eating at a restaurant of a given caliber. And it's not about how different culture define "dressing up". Rather, these folks have volunteered (and paid money) to travel on a cruiseline that has a set standard of dress in certain circumstances. Yes, you may say that it's only "recommended", but it should be clear to everyone that it's only a "recommendation" so they don't have to deal with people throwing a fit at the entrance to the restaurant screaming about "freedom" and how they're "on vacation". If you don't want to follow the guidelines, go to the buffet or go on another cruiseline with different standards.

How you dress and comport yourself says a lot about you, whether anyone likes it or not. As they say, "dress for the job you want, not the job you have". Based on some of these comments, I'm guessing the posters dress like "Walmart shopper" is their dream job. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jcathers1 said:

It is interesting the lengths some will go to to avoid adhering to any societal standards. 

This isn't a conversation about how people should dress when in public or eating at a restaurant of a given caliber. And it's not about how different culture define "dressing up". Rather, these folks have volunteered (and paid money) to travel on a cruiseline that has a set standard of dress in certain circumstances. Yes, you may say that it's only "recommended", but it should be clear to everyone that it's only a "recommendation" so they don't have to deal with people throwing a fit at the entrance to the restaurant screaming about "freedom" and how they're "on vacation". If you don't want to follow the guidelines, go to the buffet or go on another cruiseline with different standards.

How you dress and comport yourself says a lot about you, whether anyone likes it or not. As they say, "dress for the job you want, not the job you have". Based on some of these comments, I'm guessing the posters dress like "Walmart shopper" is their dream job. 

You are completely missing the point. 

And I wish I could grow up to have a job like you so I can quit my WalMart job. 

The biggest problem is not the passengers complying.

It is the Cruise Staff NOT ENFORCING!

They are afraid of loosing a client. 

This goes on every cruise line regardless of dress code, adult only areas, kids running up and down the halls all hours of the night. People drinking too much, etc.

1 minute ago, Oxo said:

The biggest problem is not the passengers complying.

It is the Cruise Staff NOT ENFORCING!

They are afraid of loosing a client. 

This goes on every cruise line regardless of dress code, adult only areas, kids running up and down the halls all hours of the night. People drinking too much, etc.

I agree. But this thread is a good example of the challenges they have to face when trying to enforce the standard. We've heard every argument from "but it's my vacation", to "don't tell me how to live", and "but I can't fit khakis in my checked bag" (my personal favorite).

Do you want to be the hostess at the MDR dealing with these people? I know I don't.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jcathers1 said:

How you dress and comport yourself says a lot about you, whether anyone likes it or not. As they say, "dress for the job you want, not the job you have". Based on some of these comments, I'm guessing the posters dress like "Walmart shopper" is their dream job. 

I do not think many users are suggesting that they are unwilling to follow guidelines they agreed to.  But people have different preferences and different cultural milieux, and that includes clothing.  I work in the legal industry, and (at least post-COVID) there are plenty of attorneys paid obscene amounts of money who apparently dream of being "Walmart shoppers."

I like wearing my tux.  But, at least in my area--and clearly, on most cruise ships--suits and tuxes are no longer part of most people's standard clothing set to be broken out regularly but rather clothing worn as part of a "formal" theme.

• Like 1

To get back to the original question, our experience on MSC cruises in the Caribbean is that passengers are less likely to wear shorts or other casual wear in the evening than on other mainstream lines.  I credit the much larger numbers of non-Americans aboard for that difference.  I saw a few pre-teen girls in shorts, but more men in dress shirts or sportscoats than I might on RC or similar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, jcathers1 said:

I said Walmart SHOPPER, not worker. Nothing at all wrong with working at Walmart...and they wear clothes appropriate for the task at hand (uniform). 

What's wrong with the shoppers? What makes you better than them?

28 minutes ago, jcathers1 said:

I agree. But this thread is a good example of the challenges they have to face when trying to enforce the standard. We've heard every argument from "but it's my vacation", to "don't tell me how to live", and "but I can't fit khakis in my checked bag" (my personal favorite).

Do you want to be the hostess at the MDR dealing with these people? I know I don't.

For the record, I dress as recommended...which means long pants in the YC restaurant for dinner. Others here have said they wear a tux. All of this is cool.

My issue is with people who get upset about others wearing shorts. How can it POSSIBLY affect the quality of your food? How can it lessen your cruise? 

I think people just need to relax...stop judging others...and worry about their own vacation.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

To get back to the original question, our experience on MSC cruises in the Caribbean is that passengers are less likely to wear shorts or other casual wear in the evening than on other mainstream lines.  I credit the much larger numbers of non-Americans aboard for that difference.  I saw a few pre-teen girls in shorts, but more men in dress shirts or sportscoats than I might on RC or similar.

Many thanks to the wonderful clarification! Have a nice day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

To get back to the original question, our experience on MSC cruises in the Caribbean is that passengers are less likely to wear shorts or other casual wear in the evening than on other mainstream lines.  I credit the much larger numbers of non-Americans aboard for that difference.  I saw a few pre-teen girls in shorts, but more men in dress shirts or sports coats than I might on RC or similar.

Thank you for this insight. It gave me an epiphany. I am more embarrassed by my countrymen dressed in shorts in fine dining venues. Reminded me of a story told by comedian /entertainer J. Lewis, that he never understood why he was more of a 'hit' in France than he was back home. It is just the 'way' other countries wish to view the Americans as classless bumpkins.

I’m getting dressed for dinner right now on the Seaside. I have never worn shorts for dinner on my MSC cruise, but I am tonight. I will spend dinner enjoying the food, ambiance and the company of my wonderful wife. If someone chooses to look under our table to see my bare legs I hope it doesn’t ruin their dinner. If it does perhaps they should choose another way to enjoy their leisure time and the things around them that are really important.

• Like 2

Just now, gmbhardy said:

I’m getting dressed for dinner right now on the Seaside. I have never worn shorts for dinner on my MSC cruise, but I am tonight. I will spend dinner enjoying the food, ambiance and the company of my wonderful wife. If someone chooses to look under our table to see my bare legs I hope it doesn’t ruin their dinner. If it does perhaps they should choose another way to enjoy their leisure time and the things around them that are really important.

Sorry Seashore not Seaside.

13 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Thank you for this insight. It gave me an epiphany. I am more embarrassed by my countrymen dressed in shorts in fine dining venues. Reminded me of a story told by comedian /entertainer J. Lewis, that he never understood why he was more of a 'hit' in France than he was back home. It is just the 'way' other countries wish to view the Americans as classless bumpkins.

You make me laugh. But seriously, at this point you are trolling TOO hard...be more subtle.

When you force it like this it isn't as funny. I have confidence in you that you can troll better.

Perhaps get dressed up and troll. I'm guessing you are in shorts now and that's why it isn't as good.

But please, let me know this magical country you are from...

Ok, I get it now...the others are 100% correct I'm eating in the YC dining room right now and this guy just walked in wearing shorts.

The first bite of my meal - before he arrived - was amazing...but then every bite after that was horrible. 

And I no longer felt like I was on vacation. I felt like I was in a WalMart.

My entire cruise is ruined.

• Haha 3

Hi Alyssamma- they are from trollville 🤣

Some folks do not know the difference between; rules, laws, standards, recommendations, nor minding their own business🙃. MSC has zero problem enforcing the Rules...have you ever met their security detail?

This is a Non-Issue for MSC, only these few keyboard critics.

One even went so far as comparison of drinking too much (inebriated) to wearing shorts on a cruise...in the Caribbean...Gasping! while clutching my pearls😩😫😫😫😢😭....  

Charter or buy your own boat if you want control over how others on the boat dress, I and other's will enjoy our cruise the way we prefer.

My fashion is Green! and MSC, Ritz, AA, Lufthansa, Tesco, WalMart, Gucci, Rolex, Levi, Mercedes, Kia, etc...they appreciate my style/fashion sense!

Get off your imaginary high horse!

No human is 'better or above' than another...

PS. I own 3 tuxedos and wear a suit to work...

If you are wearing a tux on any of my Caribbean cruises, I will assume you are working and ask for you for a cocktail😎

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMsunset said:

If you are wearing a tux on any of my Caribbean cruises, I will assume you are working and ask for you for a cocktail😎

Wow! A guy spends the day at work and all Hell breaks loose on the topic. I suppose somebody will say something akin to, "This is nothing. You should have seen the duvet cover-hospital corners brouhaha of '15." 🏨

As for me, I bring three tuxedos to Caribbean cruises. (Two styles black jacket, one off-white.) I'm dressed in one and ready to roll, every evening at 6 PM. I don't need the words "gala," "formal," or "elegant" for permission to do so. 

If someone were to ask me to take their drink order, mischief would undoubtedly ensue. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

As for me, I bring three tuxedos to Caribbean cruises. (Two styles black jacket, one off-white.)

Off-white?  I am so confused.   We must differ in our definitions of tuxedos/dinner jackets.

What styles of black jacket do you prefer?

• Like 1