Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 17

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, April 25 and Sunday, May 1.

Mayday! Mayday! Post photos!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Wednesday afternoon casual racing. On Port Phillip Bay.

(Port Phillip Bay is the very large expanse of water, with Melbourne city at the northern end. Hobsons Bay is the is the northerly most part of the area, formed by an imaginary line from Point Gellibrand on my side to Point Lomond on the eastern side.)

Looking east across Hobsons Bay to the other side.

974843105_Wedyacht3.thumb.jpg.04ad89e47d4dcb298181294ac322c627.jpg

Looking NNE across Hobsons Bay with city skyline in the background47449374_WedYacht2.thumb.jpg.3d6c3b5cc8512c7ad7cfd238d2137006.jpg

564563689_Wedyacht1.thumb.jpg.7607ab2f78740cb5a0ed7af715f12383.jpg

SSW view on the other side of Point Gellibrand looking into Port Phillip Bay

447287460_WedYacht4.thumb.jpg.2b9d8ba461826a560cd56eab15d7ccef.jpg

• Like 5

Sunday was a big day for Grandson Matthew. For some time now, he has been receiving instruction in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I don’t have much of a religious background and though I heard the word here and there all my life, I had only a vague notion of what a catechism was. This compelled me to do a bit of research into what was involved in getting ready for one’s First Communion. Needless to say, I was impressed with the amount of doctrine these fledgling Catholics have to study and master before their big day. (Matthew, being Matthew, is now likely an expert on the subject.) The ceremony went smoothly, and the family after-party organized by his mother and grandmother was epic as usual.

A First Time for Everything

916824038_2022-17AFirstTimeforEverything-2.thumb.jpg.be1c4c8ff2b47ea4c6cf892be25a4593.jpg

Dave

• Like 5

My Saturday wetlands visit, last day of April...interrupted by some rainshowers on an overcast day, but still plenty to see...

Momma mottled duck with her ducklings:

original.jpg

Red-winged blackbird mom feeding her hungry new hatchlings (about 3 days old):

original.jpg

A pair of male common gallinules having a knock-down, drag-out fight for who gets to mate with the eligible ladies of this patch of water:

original.jpg

Photographer and cormorant both caught out in a rainshower...the cormorant just sits there and accepts it, being a water bird...the photographer figures he might as well snap some photos while getting wet, to make it worthwhile:

original.jpg

A tricolored heron chick, large enough to wander out of the nest and explore its surroundings, but not yet ready to fly:

original.jpg

A brazen pair of pigeons, not shy about procreating right there in front of an audience and the paparazzi too:

original.jpg

I call these bunnies, because it's what I always grew up calling baby rabbits, but technically, this is a 'kitten', which is the proper name for baby rabbits.  They're cute no matter what you call them:

original.jpg

• Like 6

I didn't go out to the wetlands on Sunday of this weekend, but Sunday May 1 I did enjoy a relaxing afternoon in my pool, and as always I brought my camera out to sit poolside in case I saw anything interesting in the back yard worth shooting.  There were a few opportunities, so here they are:

My buddy Fred, a northern curly-tailed lizard that runs up to the edge of the pool when he sees me in there, hoping I'll feed him any bugs floating on the surface:

original.jpg

I didn't have much in the pool, but I went ahead and emptied out my skimmer basket, which had bits of leaves, seeds, branches, and bugs - as soon as I emptied the basket onto the deck, he ran right over into the pile and started finding all the bugs in there to eat - it takes no imagination to figure out how this lizard got the name:

original.jpg

A young northern cardinal in my hibiscus:

original.jpg

The squirrels in the yard are always interesting to watch - especially when they fight over who is the 'king of the deck' and gets all the fallen sunflower seeds from the bird feeders.  One squirrel had jumped up on a plant pot to eat some seeds when another who considers himself the boss climbed up the side of the planter, and proceeded to full-on tackle the other squirrel right off the side of the planter:

original.jpg

You can see by the facial expression of the squirrel being tackled that he was very much taken by surprise...yet by the time they had fallen another 5 inches through the air, the tackled squirrel had regained composure and was fighting back, as they both cascaded towards the ground:

original.jpg

A mourning dove, heading back up to the roof of my house, after having its fill of sunflower seed:

original.jpg

• Like 6