Internet charge

MomC

I’m sure this has been asked and answered before, but I can’t figure out how to search any more.  It used to be so easy with an opportunity on each cruise lines cruise critic site.

Does anyone know the charge for internet for just one device, also multiple devises?

We have $800 ship board credit, that has already been eaten up by gratuities and the upgrade to the premium beverage package.  Now the internet charge.  I am not used to the nickel and diming on cruise ships.  Guess that’s why I pay up front on Seabourn and Regent, then get on and always have a $0 balance at the end of the cruise.

I am not complaining, just stating a fact.  Even with all the additional charges, the Marina transatlantic has the date and itinerary we wanted—and is still less expensive.  However, the new post about the Regatta and the number of Covid outbreaks ( and the poor handling by Oceania), has me questioning our decision.  We just got off cruises on Regent and it was handled thoroughly, safely, and with outstanding concern for those affected by the virus.

Mom C

48 minutes ago, MomC said:

I’m sure this has been asked and answered before, but I can’t figure out how to search any more.  It used to be so easy with an opportunity on each cruise lines cruise critic site.

Does anyone know the charge for internet for just one device, also multiple devises?

We have $800 ship board credit, that has already been eaten up by gratuities and the upgrade to the premium beverage package.  Now the internet charge.  I am not used to the nickel and diming on cruise ships.  Guess that’s why I pay up front on Seabourn and Regent, then get on and always have a $0 balance at the end of the cruise.

I am not complaining, just stating a fact.  Even with all the additional charges, the Marina transatlantic has the date and itinerary we wanted—and is still less expensive.  However, the new post about the Regatta and the number of Covid outbreaks ( and the poor handling by Oceania), has me questioning our decision.  We just got off cruises on Regent and it was handled thoroughly, safely, and with outstanding concern for those affected by the virus.

Mom C

You’re not being nickel/dimed on O. Your being given options for the type of add-ons that not everyone wants or would even like (including EXTRA internet). Every double occupancy booking gets at least one complimentary account. Unblocked streaming or added accounts cost extra.

Add free beverages, specialty restaurants and choice of at least one O Life perk plus O Club benefits like gratuities and SBC and I just can’t see how anyone would consider O to be “nickel/diming.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MomC said:

I am not used to the nickel and diming on cruise ships.  Guess that’s why I pay up front on Seabourn and Regent, then get on and always have a $0 balance at the end of the cruise.

SB and RSS are "luxury" lines and typically luxury lines have more inclusions than Oceania. As a general rule more inclusions come at a higher price and you even acknowledge that because you've stated " Even with all the additional charges, the Marina transatlantic has the date and itinerary we wanted—and is still less expensive."

So what exactly are you complaining about? I don't get it. Will it make you happier to pay more ? If so book SB or RSS , and be happy that you're not being "nickeled and dimed". Personally, I'm happier if I pay less in total. That's money I can spend on something else.

• Like 2

I’ve always interpreted the phrase ‘nickeled and dimed’ to mean things like being charged $2 for a bottle of water ( which happens on Princess etc.) Oceania has an a la carte pricing structure for tours and alcohol which you can choose in advance, so I don’t see it as nickel and diming.

I have only done two Oceania cruises but each time our on board account payable on departure was $0. It is as inclusive as I need it to be. But that’s just me.

Edited by Beagle5

....  and the answer to the second part of the question posed ... ie How much for more than one login per suite at any one time .. has not been answered?

Nickel and diming? Swings and roundabouts? Yes they are voluntary add ons but finding the costings of each can be fraught 🙂

Why aren't cruise companies more open about their add ons? That is a personal gripe of mine. How do you compare 'like for like' when you can't even find the costings to compare? 🤔🙄🤪

8 hours ago, njhorseman said:

SB and RSS are "luxury" lines and typically luxury lines have more inclusions than Oceania. As a general rule more inclusions come at a higher price and you even acknowledge that because you've stated " Even with all the additional charges, the Marina transatlantic has the date and itinerary we wanted—and is still less expensive."

So what exactly are you complaining about? I don't get it. Will it make you happier to pay more ? If so book SB or RSS , and be happy that you're not being "nickeled and dimed". Personally, I'm happier if I pay less in total. That's money I can spend on something else.

+1!

3 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

....  and the answer to the second part of the question posed ... ie How much for more than one login per suite at any one time .. has not been answered?

Wavenet Unlimited WiFi
Purchase a 2nd login and enjoy general web browsing post photos to social media and check your personal email for $24.99 per day

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value

On 4/25/2022 at 5:58 PM, MomC said:

Mom C

It's free for one person per cabin. Obviously both can share the same account.

On 4/26/2022 at 6:57 AM, LHT28 said:

Wavenet Unlimited WiFi
Purchase a 2nd login and enjoy general web browsing post photos to social media and check your personal email for $24.99 per day

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value

Has anyone done a real comparison of the "Wavenet Unlimited Wifi" to what one receives as the free option for internet?  I'm just wondering.  Our experience has always been that the free internet allows us to check and reply to basic email (nothing overly lengthy or with attachments) and to view and post on social media.  It's very slow and somewhat unreliable if you need to send something.  It may require several attempts to do so.  But I've read here that the upgraded Wifi really isn't different.  It's just another log-in account -- right?  I'd be terribly upset paying the $24.99 per day for the type of internet service that we recently had aboard Regatta.  It was nominally serviceable even with a lower passenger count.  Initially, we couldn't even get a Wifi signal inside our cabin.  At my urging, one of the technicians came down and reset the repeater near our cabin and it improved so that we had a signal in our cabin.  We could get the signal and get small email but that was about it.  Thankfully, DH was not trying to conduct any business during this trip. 

57 minutes ago, vlthom said:

Has anyone done a real comparison of the "Wavenet Unlimited Wifi" to what one receives as the free option for internet?  I'm just wondering.  Our experience has always been that the free internet allows us to check and reply to basic email (nothing overly lengthy or with attachments) and to view and post on social media.  It's very slow and somewhat unreliable if you need to send something.  It may require several attempts to do so.  But I've read here that the upgraded Wifi really isn't different.  It's just another log-in account -- right?  I'd be terribly upset paying the $24.99 per day for the type of internet service that we recently had aboard Regatta.  It was nominally serviceable even with a lower passenger count.  Initially, we couldn't even get a Wifi signal inside our cabin.  At my urging, one of the technicians came down and reset the repeater near our cabin and it improved so that we had a signal in our cabin.  We could get the signal and get small email but that was about it.  Thankfully, DH was not trying to conduct any business during this trip. 

The “free” internet is the same as the basic paid internet. The “upgraded” paid internet is also the same internet but streaming is unblocked.

FWIW: the slowness/inconsistency of the passenger internet is more related to latency of the satellite connection rather than the ship’s network. 

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The “free” internet is the same as the basic paid internet. The “upgraded” paid internet is also the same internet but streaming is unblocked.

FWIW: the slowness/inconsistency of the passenger internet is more related to latency of the satellite connection rather than the ship’s network. 

You're correct about the slowness relating to satellite connection; however, the ships network definitely impacts connectivity, as shown with our recent experience.  I'm not sure how anyone would be able to successfully stream with their internet.  I've sailed on Oceania in quite a few areas of the world and would never consider trying to stream anything.  I believe that in this day and age, internet via satellite should be better than what is provided on Oceania's ships.  I've been on other ships and it IS better.  I'm not sure what the issue is here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlthom said:

You're correct about the slowness relating to satellite connection; however, the ships network definitely impacts connectivity, as shown with our recent experience.  I'm not sure how anyone would be able to successfully stream with their internet.  I've sailed on Oceania in quite a few areas of the world and would never consider trying to stream anything.  I believe that in this day and age, internet via satellite should be better than what is provided on Oceania's ships.  I've been on other ships and it IS better.  I'm not sure what the issue is here.

You won’t get an argument from me. Just when you may need the internet onboard, it decides to go belly-up.

FWIW, the most consistent internet I have found on O ships has been right next to the showroom control booths. 
One time, it was so bad in our cabin, I decided to make a list of which cabins were right next to repeaters in the hallway. But, I never did- even though I could make a $ million selling it to O regulars.😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, vlthom said:

Has anyone done a real comparison of the "Wavenet Unlimited Wifi" to what one receives as the free option for internet?  I'm just wondering.  Our experience has always been that the free internet allows us to check and reply to basic email (nothing overly lengthy or with attachments) and to view and post on social media.  It's very slow and somewhat unreliable if you need to send something.  It may require several attempts to do so.  But I've read here that the upgraded Wifi really isn't different.  It's just another log-in account -- right?  I'd be terribly upset paying the $24.99 per day for the type of internet service that we recently had aboard Regatta.

I believe the $24.99 is the same  as the free account ...you are just paying for an extra account

Sometimes the location of ship & satellites are  a problem with connections

That said  pre covid   I usually have not had a problem  have posted here on CC with photos &  done banking sent emails  etc..

The one place we did have connection problem was in the fjords in Norway ..not unexpected  given the terrain

JMO

• Like 1