Specialty Restaurant Reservations

GT38

27 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Cabin category dependant.

Only in advance, duquephart. I don’t know that there’s a limit once you’re on board. Our PV category gives us two guaranteed reservations each  in advance, but we often add more when on board.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GT38 said:

On a 12 day cruise, how many times can you make a reservation for each of the specialty restaurants?

Once onboard the vessel, you can book an alternative restaurant every evening, if you so desire.

17 minutes ago, mauimacho said:

I've booked the regular restaurant for every night just to be covered. When the specialty window opens do I have to cancel the first reservation first for any alternate bookings?

Yes. Or you’ll be given dining times only for two hours later.

19 minutes ago, maryup said:

When on board where do you go to make dinner reservations

Apparently the desks outside the restaurants or use the TV. 

We've never bothered, allways get a table somewhere

9 hours ago, maryup said:

When on board where do you go to make dinner reservations

In addition to the other suggestions, you can also use the Viking app, which you must download before the cruise. Personally, we used the TV.

Word of warning. I booked three nights in specialty restaurants on MyVkingJourney. When I appeared for the first reservation (two nights ago), the ship's system had no record of it. Showing them my email confirmation got us a seat. I subsequently checked my other bookings and again the ship had no record. But they made them for us. The point, keep your confirmation handy.

30 minutes ago, austinetc said:

Word of warning. I booked three nights in specialty restaurants on MyVkingJourney. When I appeared for the first reservation (two nights ago), the ship's system had no record of it. Showing them my email confirmation got us a seat. I subsequently checked my other bookings and again the ship had no record. But they made them for us. The point, keep your confirmation handy.

Same thing happened to us!  But we weren't able to get seated even with the confirmation.  We did eventually get two seatings at times that worked for us but that was it.

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Aren't they listed in your cruise documents?

I print the Calendar from MVJ, which shows all your reservations and post that day's schedule on the cabin bulkhead. That page can be used to prove a reservation.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:17 PM, GT38 said:

On a 12 day cruise, how many times can you make a reservation for each of the specialty restaurants?

The number of advanced reservations that you may make depends on your cabin category. Once on board, you may make as many reservations as they will let you. If the restaurants are popular on your sailing, they will limit how many reservations a cabin may make so that everyone gets a fair shot.

That said, there is always the possibility of a last minute reservation.

We have always been successful at getting reservations at alternate dining venues once onboard.  If unable to do so at the designated reservation desk or the app (this used to work great but didn’t on the Iceland Welcome Back last July) stopping by the maitre’d podium and asking has usually resulted in a table either right then or the next night.  

• Like 1

We are new to Viking Ocean cruise as have only sailed on their river cruises.  We have booked an Australian cruise for 2024.  I know I could research this but  also know I can get a quicker answer here.

What are the dining times for dinner on the Orion?  We prefer earlier dining around 6 or 6:30.  Can we book that in the traditional dining room for every night?  Thanks for your help and any other suggestions about a Viking Ocean cruise anyone wants to share.  (and pardon me for getting a off topic on this thread)  

@highland cruiserWe just finished our cruise on Orion. The Dining venues open at 6:00 pm for dinner service. I'm not sure about reservations in the restaurant, we just showed up at 6:00 and waited to be seated. After a couple of dinners in the restaurant, we chose to dine elsewhere after some disappointing results. Be aware that you will want to book your specialty dining either before you sail (even though that isn't always effective) or as soon as you get on board. We made the mistake of waiting until the morning of the day after we sailed and there was no availability before 8:00 pm. We were very happy that Tanya in customer relations worked hard to get us our "guaranteed" dinners in the specialty Restaurants at the 6:00 pm time slot that we required (my wife is diabetic and even 6:00 pm is a little late) Best of luck for a great voyage. 

On 4/30/2022 at 10:29 AM, Blackduck59 said:

@highland cruiserWe just finished our cruise on Orion. The Dining venues open at 6:00 pm for dinner service. I'm not sure about reservations in the restaurant, we just showed up at 6:00 and waited to be seated. After a couple of dinners in the restaurant, we chose to dine elsewhere after some disappointing results. Be aware that you will want to book your specialty dining either before you sail (even though that isn't always effective) or as soon as you get on board. We made the mistake of waiting until the morning of the day after we sailed and there was no availability before 8:00 pm. We were very happy that Tanya in customer relations worked hard to get us our "guaranteed" dinners in the specialty Restaurants at the 6:00 pm time slot that we required (my wife is diabetic and even 6:00 pm is a little late) Best of luck for a great voyage. 

Thank you for your response about dining.  We prefer eating before 8 pm.  So will take your advice and try to book earlier time slots.  Appreciate you taking the time to answer.  

• Like 1