Live from Alaska on Ms Zuiderdam - April 2022

Crew News

On 4/26/2022 at 4:31 PM, Crew News said:

Just a few tidbits to get started.

The Taco Bar reopening after more than two years on hold this cruise.  The day before it reopened, I had asked the Lido Manager about it and was told it needed Seattle approval.  The next day it was in operation but of course I had just consumed a big lunch in the Lido Market.  My tradition of a plate of nachos on my aft verandah in Glacier Bay may now continue.

The new MDR Sunday Brunch and the diversity of the menu was a pleasant surprise.  See the link below for the menu.

For those interested, the Remy Martin Louis XIII has a higher price of $200/shot after the pandemic. On the same note, Happy Hour is held at both the Ocean and Crows Nest bars.

For tired feet/legs, the floor at the end of the Shops 'Citizen watch counter has a strong vibration that is quite soothing.

With fewer passengers than crew, the MDR feels empty and the staff goes out of their way to entertain. Impressive origami, puzzling card tricks, and an Assistant Maitre'd playing a mean ukulele.

A Mariner award ceremony happened today with only 9 attendees and one medallion awarded (my silver).

My Room Steward tandem has only 4 occupied rooms and spends the rest of their day deep cleaning 18 others.

The MDR is open for lunch from noon to 1:00 PM.

FWIW my MDR table of five completed dinner each night around 70 minutes.

For trivia buffs, a squatchie is the button on top of a baseball players cap.

PG has been full every evening so make your reservations at the podium near the PG as soon as you board.

are they still selling drink coupons.  When I sailed before covid they had so many drink coupons for a certain price?

3 minutes ago, senior lady said:

thank you.  I also read that you can't bring one bottle of wine each to have in your stateroom.  Is that also true?  It's been 3 yrs since I sailed HAL

"Guests may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less)."

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Maybe cruising is a lot different but I couldn’t board my plane from the USA to Canada without showing my receipt.  Not only do I have a passport but I also have a nexus card.  I believe I also had to show it once I got back to Canada.  This was last month.

6 hours ago, muffin said:

FWIW  I understand the ArriveCAN  info is automatically attached to your passport when you get the receipt for it. Therefore when your passport is scanned they get that info up too…no need to ask you about it.  

We drove to Montana for a mini vacation a few days ago. On our way home, Canada Border officer asked for our passports, as usual. I also  offered up our Arrive Canada App, which he declined, saying that when he enters our passport numbers onto his computer, he can see our ArriveCan information. 

Flying back to Canada last December, we were required to enter the arrive can info on the Westjet site before we could download our boarding passes. We didn’t show our ArriveCan app on arrival , but we assumed it was because we had our Nexus cards, I’m not sure.

• Like 1

First time HAL cruiser this year.  We are going to Alaska on Koningsdam in September, will the menus be the same or similar?  Two other questions so far, what is the Orange Party and where can you buy the coke products in a can onboard?  Certain bars or?  Is it the same price as in the mini fridge in the cabin?

Thanks for your work!

48 minutes ago, Dreamer115 said:

First time HAL cruiser this year.  We are going to Alaska on Koningsdam in September, will the menus be the same or similar?  Two other questions so far, what is the Orange Party and where can you buy the coke products in a can onboard?  Certain bars or?  Is it the same price as in the mini fridge in the cabin?

Thanks for your work!

MDR and Lido Market menus will be the same for all Alaska cruises.  The few 14-Day cruises will use the same menus for their second week. 

Coke products are available at all bars and at the same price. Same price in  your minibar.  There is a common bar menu with each bar having a few add-in items.

The Orange Party is a reason to sell beverages and passengers to party celebrating the Dutch House of Orange royal family.

Note that many people have the contents of their minibar removed to allow for storage of other items (yogurt parfaits and Ziploc bags of breakfast cheese).

The Koningsdam Grand Dutch Cafe has free almond cookies as well as free 7-inch diameter chocolate-chip cookies. 

Feel free to ask lot of questions to help in your cruise planning.

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1

few more tidbits to close the first day on the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver:

There was a 5=Star Mariner and above reception in the Crows Nest but no ship officers attended.

The 4:00 PM sailaway was delayed until after 5:00 PM with no explanation so far.  Hopefully, the delay was to load salsa and nacho chips.

The MDR featured a few extra items to celebrate the Dutch king's birthday.  Non-standard MDR menu add-ins are printed in orange color type.  My dinner was served and consumed in 49 minutes to my great satisfaction.  Passenger capacity was a great influence but so was the persistence of my waiter, Rocky, to make it happen.

There are no tablets in use for dining and beverage services on the Zuiderdam.  Hopefully,  this will be corrected during the upcoming drydock.

More tomorrow during our Sea Day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Crew News said:

There is a USB-A port on each side of the bed.  If you need AC power make sure the cord does not look like a multi-adapter type.  The chip can also provide an extension cord if you request it.  You can make th request by completing the medical form or just ask your Room Steward when you board.

Thank you!

12 hours ago, liketraveling said:

You can request an Extention cord from the assesibility dept.  i have stayed from an inside to a signature Suite and the only cabin so far that had a bedside outlet was a signature Suite.  I am sure Neptune’s have many more.

With all that said I don’t know what they upgraded on the ship during the shutdown.

I am booked on the Zuiderdam in Nov and requested the Extention cord.

Thank you!

8 hours ago, zgscl said:

Fill out the SRI form and they should have one for you. You can also request from guest services. I said I was bringing a CPAP and had one waiting in my room even though I didn’t request it. I had an outlet on both sides of the bed on Zuiderdam but this was a Neptune Suite so the layout could be different in other categories. 

I also bring our EU adapters which have two USB ports and a US outlet on most cruises. I can usually gain a plug and a USB outlet somewhere in the cabin with this. 

https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action

Thank you! 

17 hours ago, Crew News said:

The choices were the mango stuff or pico de gallo.  I think that the ship was caught a bit short by the approval and did not have nacho chips or real salsa onboard.  The ship did their best with pita chips that would not have survived a more liquid salsa.  I hope the real salsa is being loaded aboard as I make this post.  If I had five minutes with the chef to give a few nacho tips, I know the ship could be truly Southwest authentic.

The taco meat was good, the cheese was not cheddar, and the red onion was a bit thick for my taste, BUT the ship did their best to reopen the Taco Bar. 

We've been on four or five HAL cruises and except for one day on one cruise when the chef snuck a bottle of Pace's out of the crew mess, there has never been what I call regular salsa. 

The new Rotterdam has evidently done away with the taco bar altogether.  At least there wasn't one on our Caribbean trip a few months ago.

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

MDR and Lido Market menus will be the same for all Alaska cruises.  The few 14-Day cruises will use the same menus for their second week. 

Coke products are available at all bars and at the same price. Same price in  your minibar.  There is a common bar menu with each bar having a few add-in items.

The Orange Party is a reason to sell beverages and passengers to party celebrating the Dutch House of Orange royal family.

Note that many people have the contents of their minibar removed to allow for storage of other items (yogurt parfaits and Ziploc bags of breakfast cheese).

The Koningsdam Grand Dutch Cafe has free almond cookies as well as free 7-inch diameter chocolate-chip cookies. 

Feel free to ask lot of questions to help in your cruise planning.

Thanks so much for your response.  The coke at the bars, is it in a can?  I am not a fan of bar coke.

In the past, there was also a request for passengers to wear something orange for the (House of) Orange Party. Any spot of color would do - a scarf, a top, a tie, a jacket...... just for the visual fun.

23 hours ago, Gactag01 said:

Thank you so much for posting the vegetarian menu. I am no longer a vegetarian, however I do have celiac disease and it is great to see so many GF options. 

Which ships have you found to have great celiac breads and desserts?  I am currently on a Princess Cruise and the staff are trying to accommodate my celiac requirements which I appreciate but the gf breads are dry and the d3sserts are very limited.

13 minutes ago, Song in my heart said:

Which ships have you found to have great celiac breads and desserts?  I am currently on a Princess Cruise and the staff are trying to accommodate my celiac requirements which I appreciate but the gf breads are dry and the d3sserts are very limited.

HAL ships have a Vegetarian menu with gluten-free items (Vegetarian Menu link), some items on the regular menus, items in the Lido Market that are marked gluten free, and items can be special made if you order the night before from your MDR waiter.  I cannot attest to their taste or texture.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

So happy to see this thread!  I'm on the 6/1 & 6/8 sailings.  First time to Alaska (2nd time on Zuiderdam).

Happy to hear the taco bar is back.  I missed that on my two sailing this past fall (Eurodam in November; Nieuw Am in December).

Bright blue skies over the Inside Passage today with still a Spring chill in the air.

Today's tidbits:

Orcas were spotted today by some of the passengers so lots of folks have been scanning the water for wildlife since the announcement of the sighting.

The roll call Meet & Greet was well-attended.  We learned a lot about Bora Bora and Australia cruising from some of our HAL President's Club and roll call members. As the Meet & Greet came to an end, the Captain announced that our late departure from Vancouver put us into some tides conflicts and thus the stop in Juneau would be delayed by two hours.  Departure is still at 10:00 PM so all excursions have delayed start times.  The compressed schedule may impact my yearly visit to the Glacier Smoothie Soap cabin for a resupply of Juneau Gold.

A poolside Taco Bar nachos lunch while listening to classical music over the ship speakers was a nice experience.  

Tonight was Gala night, and for the second time, my MDR dinner was completed in less than 50 minutes. Only two minutes between courses was quite a difference from other cruises. where MDR could linger for nearly two hours.

The highlight of my day was a chance hallway encounter and long conversation with a CC member who has also followed the seasonal trials and tribulations of Holly, Grazer, Otis, Backpack, Walker, Popeye, and 747 for a number of years.  We were  both very happy to see Otis back in the office last September and look forward to his return soon.

On a special note, sprinkles were spotted at the ice cream station for the first time since the pandemic pause.

The Food and Beverage Director promised to email me the new 7-Day Indian Menus.

And so it was April 28, 2022.  More tomorrow.

• Like 2