Live from Alaska on Ms Zuiderdam - April 2022

Crew News

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

a special note, sprinkles were spotted at the ice cream station for the first time since the pandemic pause

We had sprinkles all 35 days on our SP cruise. Both chocolate and rainbow. Ice cream isn’t the same without sprinkles. 😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

The highlight of my day was a chance hallway encounter and long conversation with a CC member who has also followed the seasonal trials and tribulations of Holly, Grazer, Otis, Backpack, Walker, Popeye, and 747 for a number of years.  We were  both very happy to see Otis back in the office last September and look forward to his return soon.

And so it was April 28, 2022.  More tomorrow.

I got to see the bears at Brooks Falls last July.  What a trip and experience. 

• Like 1

Very helpful thread.  I will be following to see what the menu choices are to determine the best day for us to go to the steak house.  I wasn't excited about the day one menu so that might be the day for us to go.  lol.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Crew news do you happen to know how many passengers there are on this sailing?  Sorry if you’ve said and I’ve missed it.  Thanks.

At last weeks Mariner recognition ceremony, the Captain said around 700 and the crew would be outnumbering the passengers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quack2 said:

Does the late arrival into Juneau impact the Tracy Arm excursion?

I received a list of all excursions and their delay times.  There was nothing about Tracy Arm but there were a lot more excursions than were available to purchase online. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

Very helpful thread.  I will be following to see what the menu choices are to determine the best day for us to go to the steak house.  I wasn't excited about the day one menu so that might be the day for us to go.  lol.  

Three days of menus are now posted.  If you choose the PG, the seared scallops preparation will not be up to Gordon Ramsey "searing" standards.  The fillets are perfectly seared and delicious. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, quack2 said:

Does the late arrival into Juneau impact the Tracy Arm excursion?

The late morning arrival in Juneau is because of the Tracy Arm excursion. In the early morning,  the ship drops off the pax taking the excursion, just outside of Tracy Arm. Then the ship sails on to Juneau    

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

Am I correct in understanding that I can order dive in sandwiches from Dive in?  That's pretty awesome!!   Another rookie question:   Can I use my drink package to pay for room service pop orders?

A third:   What is the dive in sauce?  My stomach is officially rumbling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve4031 said:

Am I correct in understanding that I can order dive in sandwiches from Dive in?  That's pretty awesome!!   Another rookie question:   Can I use my drink package to pay for room service pop orders?

A third:   What is the dive in sauce?  My stomach is officially rumbling. 

1.  Yes, via room service.

2.  Just talked to Room Service and you cannot use the drink package to pay for sodas.

3.  My best guess is Dive-in sauce is mayo, ketchup, and a hint of cayenne pepper.  Perfectly cooked fries with Dive In sauce serenades your palate.

Feel free to ask lots of questions.  Well-informed cruisers have a lot more fun.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 5

Or you can just order your Dive In burger using the app and just pick it up when ready.  I used the app to order pizza a couple of times in November on Eurodam and December on N. Am.  Having cruised Carnival, X, and MSC since those sailings, I have to say that I enjoyed the HAL pizzas the most.  Even more than those on MSC.

• Like 2

Just now, Kristal Blade said:

Why would you have to pay for a Dive In burger? I thought that was included? It’s been a while since I cruised HAL, apologies for this question.

If you order a Dive In burger/hot dog/chicken breast thru Room Service, it costs $4.95. If you order it at the Dive In or through the Navigator, there is no cost.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crew News said:

Bright blue skies over the Inside Passage today with still a Spring chill in the air.

Today's tidbits:

Orcas were spotted today by some of the passengers so lots of folks have been scanning the water for wildlife since the announcement of the sighting.

The roll call Meet & Greet was well-attended.  We learned a lot about Bora Bora and Australia cruising from some of our HAL President's Club and roll call members. As the Meet & Greet came to an end, the Captain announced that our late departure from Vancouver put us into some tides conflicts and thus the stop in Juneau would be delayed by two hours.  Departure is still at 10:00 PM so all excursions have delayed start times.  The compressed schedule may impact my yearly visit to the Glacier Smoothie Soap cabin for a resupply of Juneau Gold.

A poolside Taco Bar nachos lunch while listening to classical music over the ship speakers was a nice experience.  

Tonight was Gala night, and for the second time, my MDR dinner was completed in less than 50 minutes. Only two minutes between courses was quite a difference from other cruises. where MDR could linger for nearly two hours.

The highlight of my day was a chance hallway encounter and long conversation with a CC member who has also followed the seasonal trials and tribulations of Holly, Grazer, Otis, Backpack, Walker, Popeye, and 747 for a number of years.  We were  both very happy to see Otis back in the office last September and look forward to his return soon.

On a special note, sprinkles were spotted at the ice cream station for the first time since the pandemic pause.

The Food and Beverage Director promised to email me the new 7-Day Indian Menus.

And so it was April 28, 2022.  More tomorrow.

Hi! Really enjoying your posts… Thank you! My wife would like to know what make the Juneau Gold soap special.  We may pay them a visit next month!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kristal Blade said:

Why would you have to pay for a Dive In burger? I thought that was included? It’s been a while since I cruised HAL, apologies for this question.

Only if ordered through room service. Picking it up at dive in is free.

Oops, someone else answered more quickly.

Edited by yerdua
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Retired 07 said:

Hi! Really enjoying your posts… Thank you! My wife would like to know what make the Juneau Gold soap special.  We may pay them a visit next month!

Last year, the Glacier Smoothie Soap Shop had a "name the new soap contest" and my suggestion, Juneau Gold, won the contest with a $25 coupon as a prize.  Other than the name being special to me, the very fine silt ingredient is amazing for the skin.  The striations through the bar gives the bar a marble-like appearance and the subtle scent is invigorating. Their other scented soaps are great, too.

The shop owners, Mormon missionaries, both died a few years ago of cancer leaving the small family business to their teenagers who I watched grow up.  Spending time talking with the owners during my cruise stops over the years and their zest for life was always inspiring to me.   I have been buying soap from their little cabin for the past 14 years and my friends loved the little gold tied cloth bags with scented soap as souvenir.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Roger, on your website the Where & Whens from this cruise are not showing up. It's showing a duplicate of the daily MDR menus instead. I tried to comment on the actual site, but I couldn't get my comment to register. 

Edited by canadarocks
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Pretty sure you can't use your drink package for any room service drinks. And while you can order from Dive In, you have to pay for it. 

Correct!

From HAL website:

"Sharing is not permitted. Excludes Mini Bar, Honor Bar, Chocolate Seduction, Room Service, beverages on Half Moon Cay, Freestyle Coca-Cola and any self-service draft beer."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Roger, on your website the Where & Whens from this cruise are not showing up. It's showing a duplicate of the daily MDR menus instead. I tried to comment on the actual site, but I couldn't get my comment to register. 

When & Wheres are not with the menus.  Here is the link:  Alaska Zuiderdam 2022 When & Where

• Like 2