Impact of NJ Teacher's Convention on Oasis-class

mafig

3 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

In our area it’s just the two days but we used to pull the kids out when they were young and go down to Orlando and do the parks. It was funny because we’d run into so many from our small town down there that week 😂

I used to see a lot of fellow nj people in Cancun, Florida, Myrtle Beach...  We spent a cruise hanging with my older daughter's teacher and family one time.  It's definitely NJ holiday time!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

I have lived in New Jersey most not all of my life. The teachers convention always has been just 2 days. 

Yes, as children it might’ve appeared that the whole week was off, but it looks like the 2 days became official back in 1923. https://www.njedreport.com/2019/11/07/the-annual-njea-convention-starting-today-is-so-old-school-what-if-we-did-things-differently/

Our school district gives the whole week. So many family go on vacation.Most teachers still have to work in service days and convenient days. Since most years it fall the same week as Election Day that is the one day our school district teacher have off.

Indiana had a 2 day Teacher’s Institute in the fall.  Georgia did too.  I’d guess they are fairly common.  We once took an early October cruise and were amazed at the number of school age children.  Talked to one family from Arkansas, they were on year round school and this was their fall break.  Currently live near Augusta Ga.  Their schools close Master’s week. Many people rent their house out and go on vacation.

On 4/28/2022 at 3:51 PM, jean87510 said:

It was known as teacher's convention week and was usually the 1st week of November.  Always right after Halloween.  It has only been a couple of days in the past few years.  Problem was the teachers were supposed to be at the conventions but many were posting on social media pictures of themselves on cruises, Disney, Cancun... family in tow, drinks in hand clearly NOT at a working convention.  Plus the taxpayers of NJ were paying for them for this week.  And a lot of the teachers stupidly would brag about their escapades on social media and would laugh about how they were getting paid.  This led to the downfall.  I know quite a few people who did this.  

Not a NJ teacher but know quite a few.  NJ schools by law are open 180 days.  Holidays and fall, winter and spring breaks don't count towards the 180.  Teachers contracts provide a fixed annual salary in return for working a specified number of days.  Each district sets their own calendar.  No one is required to attend the convention and most don't, preferring to spend the time with their families (remember most have school age children who are also on break).  Doesn't matter whether they spend that time at home or take a vacation.  No stupidity, no downfall, and no additional cost to taxpayers so they shouldn't care either.

On 4/28/2022 at 3:51 PM, jean87510 said:

It was known as teacher's convention week and was usually the 1st week of November.  Always right after Halloween.  It has only been a couple of days in the past few years.  Problem was the teachers were supposed to be at the conventions but many were posting on social media pictures of themselves on cruises, Disney, Cancun... family in tow, drinks in hand clearly NOT at a working convention.  Plus the taxpayers of NJ were paying for them for this week.  And a lot of the teachers stupidly would brag about their escapades on social media and would laugh about how they were getting paid.  This led to the downfall.  I know quite a few people who did this.  

I have lived in NJ my entire life. It is not past tense, it was and still is a convention that starts on Thursday.  The convention itself was never a full week and it never cost the taxpayers as these were scheduled days off as noted by a poster above.  As a child we always just had the Thursday and Friday off.  I believe the big change came after 9/11 and Columbine.  For safety reasons, children were no longer allowed in school on Election Day if it was used as a polling place.  Most school districts were then closed three days that week. My son’s quickly went to being off Tuesday-Friday.  After a year of that they went to being closed all week, because so many families took their kids out on Monday anyway.   To the original poster, we traveled many times during that week.  I believe, the ship will be child heavy no matter were you cruise out off.  

Edited by robsmom

Growing up in Jersey, I only had off the Thursday/Friday every year however, now, our school district has off the entire week. This started about 8 years ago, I believe.

This year, "Jersey Week" has our schools closed from Monday November 7 - Friday November 11. 

2 hours ago, robsmom said:

To the original poster, we traveled many times during that week.  I believe, the ship will be child heavy no matter were you cruise out off.  

That's me.😎  Thanks for your input and others who have replied also.💘

Edited by mafig