Motion sickness remedies needed in Mediterranean?

miwakaly

We've booked the Mediterranean Antiquities ocean cruise in November.  I've done Viking river cruises and other lines' Caribbean/Alaskan cruises, but have never been to the Mediterranean.  How rough are the waters, and will we need motion sickness remedies there?  I've used the Scopolamine patches and hubby takes Dramamine.  I've never tried the wrist bracelets.  Any words of wisdom or advice from more experienced ocean cruisers?

We did the Empires of the Mediterranean cruise a few years ago in early spring.  The trip was plagued by a terrible storm.  The port in Venice had to be closed so we were unable to sail out the first day and missed several ports due to wind and rough water.  We stayed well off the coast for an unexpected sea day and the ship rolled quite a bit but surprisingly neither of us felt sick.  Hoping for smooth sailing for your cruise.

I have been on Med cruises many times. Once I we had the worst storm  off Corsica. We were at late dinner and the ship was rocking and waiters had a hard time not spilling. My table mates ran back to cabin to ge their pressure point bracelets and take their ginger pills. We finished dinner, but hard to walk through the pool deck back to cabin. This was in Sept. On another Med cruise in July the water was like glass all throughout the Greek islands. 

Take whatever you need for motion sickness, just in case. 

I agree with the first two responses: If you have to ask then you probably should not leave home without your preferred motion sickness treatment(s).  Better (and cheaper) to have them with you and never need them than to have to scramble to buy them on the ship -- hoping they haven't sold out. Stick with what works and if you are going to experiment with other treatments, at least have the tried-and-true available for back up. 

2 hours ago, miwakaly said:

We've booked the Mediterranean Antiquities ocean cruise in November.  I've done Viking river cruises and other lines' Caribbean/Alaskan cruises, but have never been to the Mediterranean.  How rough are the waters, and will we need motion sickness remedies there?  I've used the Scopolamine patches and hubby takes Dramamine.  I've never tried the wrist bracelets.  Any words of wisdom or advice from more experienced ocean cruisers?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Having spent many months in the Meddy, you can expect anything from smooth seas to Gale/Storm Force winds, with seas of 20'. If concerned, bring your current meds and hopefully you will not require them.

BTW - DW uses the wrist bands as her 1st level of defence, and they work for her, up to moderate seas. However, the positioning of the bands is critical.

Was on a transatlantic many years ago, ATH/MIA with ports in Med. Worst seas were in the Tyrrhenian sea.  Extremely rough seas. We were told to stay in cabin in bunks. It's not rough seas until Captain comes on to say "there is no danger", which he did. 

We use Meclizine 25 mg chewable tablets. Usually take one in the morning and one in the afternoon. They are non-drowsy. Three 100 tablet bottles for less than $15 on Amazon. Dramamine and Bonine are way more expensive and make us very drowsy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BigBee51 said:

We use Meclizine 25 mg chewable tablets. Usually take one in the morning and one in the afternoon. They are non-drowsy. Three 100 tablet bottles for less than $15 on Amazon. Dramamine and Bonine are way more expensive and make us very drowsy.

I start taking Meclizine 2 days before travel.  Sometimes I use "Motion Ease" oil dabbed behind each ear and I've given some Motion Ease bottles to other passengers who feel motion sickness on past cruises and by all accounts it has worked for them.  And Heidi mentioned the bands his wife uses and I also use those on occasion.  But my go to is Meclizine.  We're flying to Oslo tonight and I started taking Meclizine on Friday.  

We just returned from a Viking Sky Mediterranean cruise. Most days were calm. 

However, one evening was a bit rough, enough to activate my motion sickness. 

I had been haphazard at taking my Meclizine that day.

Fresh ginger in my cheek helped.

My advice is to take your meds daily as a precaution.The ocean is mercurial. 

Meclizine has been my go to...and I have also taken Zofran along (prescription) in the event things are very rough.  The best word of advice I got was from our cabin steward as he stood over me while I was lying in bed sicker than a dog.  He said, "You waited...don't wait, take it BEFORE you get sick!"  He had come to do the evening stuff and we told him we'd skip because I was grossly ill, but he insisted on coming in to help.  My respect for those young cabin stewards sky rocketed! 

• Like 1