Zaandam - Nieuw Statendam??

Tedferg

What great responses, thanks. Yes, I di notice that balcony on Statendam are closer to OV price. Though Best is $1300 more per couple, since there is just one sea day, balcony is not so important on this itinerary.

I was leaning to the overnight in Quebec, I hear it is a wonderful city, had not thought about Montreal, maybe take train to Montreal and fly home from there.

Love the comment that 'being on any dam ship is fine 🙂

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Several posters mention larger cabins in Zaandam, but HAL site says OV is 175 - 282 on Statdam and 140-319 on Zaandam.

The larger sq ft number for cabin sizes is one-off - may refer to only a few in odd locations,  or the dedicated handicap cabins which I believe are larger.  

More typical is the smaller cabin size. Having sailed on most of the HAL ship classes, except for the very newest ones, the first thing we noticed was the smaller cabin sizes once we left the older S and R class ships.  

Not that it is that material - they are still well-designed cabins with adequate storage, but there was just a more expansive feeling, more maneuvering room and a few more drawers and closets shelves in the older cabins.

The brand new ships are a bit disconcerting in their more cramped layouts. But I have not been on one yet so maybe they are just fine too.  I always overpack anyway, but we do take the longer cruises so this could be more my problem than it actually mattering for shorter cruises and more pragmatic packers.  The hardest cruises for packing are those that go through several climate zones so you need a little of everything. 

Thanks, OlsSalt for clarification. We have always had a balcony on our 10 previous cruises, but never felt the need to go to mini suites or suites. We would not choose inside, 'only go there to sleep etc.' So, when I first looked at Zaandam OV $849 Vista Suite $2649 per person and only one sea day, it seemed a no brainer to try OV. Statendam is $1300 more per couple for balcony and even then, I am not sure it is worth it for this itinerary. Perhaps balcony gives more choice for better locations than OV. I don't know enough about ship layout to consider this.

Looking at dates in September 2022, Zaandam is somewhat more expensive than Statendam, I assume this implies popularity.

Edited by Tedferg

How do common areas compare between Zaandam and Statendam? We really enjoy the Princess central plaza and spiral staircases for three floors, very open and bright. On our one Celebrity cruise we were disappointed in the central common area.

Just now, Tedferg said:

How do common areas compare between Zaandam and Statendam? We really enjoy the Princess central plaza and spiral staircases for three floors, very open and bright. On our one Celebrity cruise we were disappointed in the central common area.

There are no showy central atrium activity centers on HAL ships, but there are very nice public areas with sea views. At one time HAL ships were known for their vast libraries - which gives you an idea of what the focus was for a lot of the longtime and loyal HAL passengers.  More diffuse and quiet.

The retractable glass dome Lido pool area, with windows facing out to the sea acts as a main central gathering area on HAL ships - quite pleasant and usable in any weather.

Then there are various smaller lounges for other public gatherings, along with the Crows Nest for forward looking views from the top deck. The brand new larger ships do have a more spectacular central staircase, but it appears to be more for sheer "transportation" floor to floor than a dedicated activity area. 

The libraries have been scaled back and almost eliminated on the newer HAL ships. But one comment one hears about HAL ship design is they keep you more focused that you are at sea, rather than driving one into indoor activities. 

I honestly think you’d be happier on the Nieuw Statendam.  Take the comments on the newer ships by those who haven’t sailed on them with a grain of salt.  The rooms are not cramped and have lots more storage than the older ships.

You will not find the piazza concept on a HAL ship, but you will have a fabulous forward ocean view observation area on all the HAL ships.  The Zaandam has an old-school dark  clubby atmosphere while the NS is light and bright and open.  I am not putting the Zaandam down because it is a beautiful ship in its own right and I would be happy to sail on her anytime.

Basically, the Pinnacle-class ships are light and bright (and definitely not crowded), with lots of dining and evening music entertainment, while the Zaandam is dark and lovely but with less options for dining and entertainment.

Of the two itineraries, would opt for an overnight in Quebec City vs a visit to Montreal.  QC is quite beautiful in the evening.

• Like 4

We've been on both, and verandahs both times.  I didn't notice the smaller space on the NS, but that ship wins hands down for me because of the Dutch Cafe and BB King club.  I miss the wide promendade but I still can walk laps, just no lounging on those wonderful teak lounge chairs. Plus, the lack of library is too bad, but I'm another kindle user these days anyway.  Happy choosing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Looking at dates in September 2022, Zaandam is somewhat more expensive than Statendam, I assume this implies popularity.

The Pinnacle ships start generating revenue at a lower capacity than the smaller ships so the pricing usually reflects that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tough choice considering all the reasons already mentioned.  Since you are looking at an Oceanview, it makes it even tougher IMO.  It really comes down to what is important to you.  Here are my thoughts:

Zaandam:

Montreal vs Quebec City (both great cities but Montreal has more to offer IMO.

Cabins will be a bit larger (in most cases).

Quieter, less crowded cruise (and you see the same other cruisers more).

Great wrap around deck (important if you have an Oceanview cabin).

Nieuw Statendam:

Very new and modern ship in great condition (we were on her in Dec.)

MANY more dining options - Tamarind, Rudi's, Dutch Cafe are favorites of ours.

Club Orange option - separate dining area which is much nicer and quieter than the MDR.

Music Walk area for better entertainment options.

Cabins are in better condtion and have more things in them (like plugs, lighting, etc.).

So, its depends on what is important to YOU.

23 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

On Zaandam any deck preference between Dolphin, Main, Lower Promenade?

Study the floor plans.  Best to have cabins above you and below.  You want to avoid busy areas, like showroom or kitchen galleys.  Being too close to those areas might make you miserable.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, there are more USB ports to plug in your phones, and outlets next to the bed if you have a CPAP;  there's no need for extension cords to trip over anymore.  Much nicer ships and so shiny, the new ones.  The new ships are simply lovely.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

We had Dolphin Deck 1831.  I would not recommend this location as it was too close to the stairs they used for port disembarkation/embarkation/tendering resulting in crowds blocking your access and lots of fresh and *not-so-fresh airflow.  (Not-so-fresh as a result of them doing painting and maintenance on the exterior and a strong chemical smell being forced into the room.)  Here is a pic of the location of that room:

F68ED2BE-55B0-4331-94BC-FC27D73345D2.thumb.jpeg.3595f06bfeb757ad86050bb4ac264db5.jpeg

Here is a link to my ZAANDAM LIVE THREAD if you’d like to scroll through for more pictures.  I believe the rooms have been updated since we sailed on her three years ago.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

We had Dolphin Deck 1831.  I would not recommend this location as it was too close to the stairs they used for port disembarkation/embarkation/tendering resulting in crowds blocking your access and lots of fresh and *not-so-fresh airflow.  (Not-so-fresh as a result of them doing painting and maintenance on the exterior and a strong chemical smell being forced into the room.)  Here is a pic of the location of that room:

F68ED2BE-55B0-4331-94BC-FC27D73345D2.thumb.jpeg.3595f06bfeb757ad86050bb4ac264db5.jpeg

Here is a link to my ZAANDAM LIVE THREAD if you’d like to scroll through for more pictures.  I believe the rooms have been updated since we sailed on her three years ago.

This is an extremely helpful post. Exactly what CC was designed for. I'm adding this information to my zaandam file. Much appreciated 🙂 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

We prefer the lower promenade midship closer to forward atrium area. We like this location under the photo gallery because it’s quiet and has easy access to the outside deck. 

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Miss G, thanks for the link to your live Zaandam thread. Must say your description of cabin being drab and other comments about 'the age of the ship' makes me lean towards Statendam.

It was to have undergone a refurbishment earlier this year.  Its first sailing isn’t until May so we won’t know until then what’s been done.  It wouldn’t be my first pick for my first HAL cruise, though.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tedferg said:

To some extent, that depends on what kind of cabin you have booked---outside, large inside, inside. 

The outside cabins on Lower Promenade are smaller than the outsides on Main and Dolphin.
The outsides on Dolphin, though are under the promenade (LP Deck). Although there is supposed to be no running on Lower Promenade, some people don't believe that applies to them. It can get noisy when the thundering herds are out. 
If you do book an outside on Lower Promenade, book forward of the mid-ship elevators, or aft of the aft elevators. The cabins between mid-ship and aft elevator banks are under the galley, and it is noisy at night. 
The outsides on Dolphin are over areas where there is activity in some places. Some of these are great locations (based on info from people who have stayed in them), while others are not. 

Regular insides are too small for my taste, so I am not familiar with them. 

I love the large insides on Lower Promenade and Main Decks. They are barely smaller than the outsides, and are actually larger than the outsides on LP. 

13 hours ago, RuthC said:

To some extent, that depends on what kind of cabin you have booked---outside, large inside, inside. 

The outside cabins on Lower Promenade are smaller than the outsides on Main and Dolphin.
The outsides on Dolphin, though are under the promenade (LP Deck). Although there is supposed to be no running on Lower Promenade, some people don't believe that applies to them. It can get noisy when the thundering herds are out. 
If you do book an outside on Lower Promenade, book forward of the mid-ship elevators, or aft of the aft elevators. The cabins between mid-ship and aft elevator banks are under the galley, and it is noisy at night. 
The outsides on Dolphin are over areas where there is activity in some places. Some of these are great locations (based on info from people who have stayed in them), while others are not. 

Regular insides are too small for my taste, so I am not familiar with them. 

I love the large insides on Lower Promenade and Main Decks. They are barely smaller than the outsides, and are actually larger than the outsides on LP. 

A lot of good information there for others to help choose their cabins.  Thank you.

• Like 1