Discovery Princess April 29th Coastal

ceilidh1

25 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Agree, that seems too high, especially for a short Alaska cruise, only visiting Ketchikan, not RT embarkation port, and early in the season.

But, it was asked and that's the answer we got so we have to take that at face value I guess.

I've been checking regularly and based on available cabins and some of the very inexpensive prices, it seems more like 60% full, although I'm sure they always try to oversell.

This is my 3rd cruise post Covid and has the highest guest count for me. It’s definitely noticeable and I’m not sure I would be comfortable sailing with a higher number right now. Not to say that the ship is packed (it’s not) but venues are full - theatre, Princess Live, etc and I usually either take the stairs or have to wait for elevators that are not full. Any more guests and it would be hard to avoid crowds! Just my opinion!

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, CatDi said:

I would love to know what room number you are in for future reference. THANKS

We’ve enjoyed many of those Emerald (8) obstructed view midship cabins particularly the ones with larger balconies such as E409 we had on Discovery.

2A3151D3-FA67-4280-B1F1-A0303FCE8B4D.jpeg

4368F1C8-39A7-4230-9E99-41CE784ED080.jpeg

• Like 1

Showtime this evening was Darren Dowler. Despite my kids constantly telling me I’m old, I was far too young for his show as I didn’t know any of the songs or bands (well, maybe 2 or 3). He was a great singer and may have been a great vocal impressionist - since I didn’t know what the original singers sounded like I couldn’t tell! After the show, I listened to karaoke, grabbed DS from kids club and called it a night!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CatDi said:

I would love to know what room number you are in for future reference. THANKS

We are in E436.  It’s a great location and the music from below has not happened since my DH asked them to play it only at reasonable hours.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Showtime this evening was Darren Dowler. Despite my kids constantly telling me I’m old, I was far too young for his show as I didn’t know any of the songs or bands (well, maybe 2 or 3). He was a great singer and may have been a great vocal impressionist - since I didn’t know what the original singers sounded like I couldn’t tell! After the show, I listened to karaoke, grabbed DS from kids club and called it a night!

We absolutely love Darren Dowler .. we are both in our sixties so know all of the songs he played except for his brand new song.  

• Like 2

There was a surprising amount of movement felt last night and also this morning. The seas look quite choppy, but I’m still surprised as I usually barely feel anything. It doesn’t bother me, but just an FYI for those of you that don’t do well with motion - C728 definitely feels it (along with the freaks and vibrations I usually associate with older ships).

Today is a sea day and there are lots of things in the schedule that I want to catch. Just as well since it doesn’t look like pool weather outside.

• Like 1

Another example of “trying too hard” (not a complaint, just an observation). I have $50 of OBC to blow so figured I would get some cheesy souvenirs at the gift shop. Nope. These shops are high end/designer stuff. Not a Stanley Bear or ornament in sight. And no $10 outlet sale (that’s not a bad thing…lol). Sometimes you just want to shop for trinkets but not in this ship! They are running low on stock for inaugural season- not sure if they are getting more in for Alaska but heard a few grumbles from passengers looking for stuff they had sold out of! Also, while I was in the store, someone bought the last crystal ship ornament (again, not sure if they will stock more for Alaska season)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So much going on today…not sure when I will fit in time to eat! Just went to Duval’s magic trick lesson (went yesterday too). Mind blown. Swung by the paper crafts activity led by Jun - not to do the crafts but to purchase the card kit for my teen. I had very strict orders to get this as she LOVES making these cards and her kits are all out. Successfully spent half the OBC. The other half just got blown on a game card for Deal or No Deal! I swear to God, if I end up winning a voucher to the shops I’m gonna gift it to the first person I find!!!

5CA0E26A-BBE5-4609-B0CB-E481B8A1883B.jpeg

59A93239-2F88-456C-8FA3-C3D7F77D4548.jpeg

EB591DAF-8029-470A-8E50-19F195546D16.jpeg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

IMG_2927.MOV  

L

IMG_2927.MOV  

Not sure if this will upload, but it’s a video going under the Golden Gate Bridge with Live Boat horn blasting. I stood out on Deck 7 with the crew, who were so excited!

IMG_2927.MOV

Thanks for the video.  That was really cool!  I sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge when I was 10 on the SS Leilani but it was so foggy that we could only see the bottom of the bridge.

I’m no expert on ship engineering but I’m really surprised just how much movement can be felt on here today. We are really rockin and rollin. More surprising is the constant vibration. I don’t recall this from other choppy sailings and generally only notice vibrations when going in and out port. Anyone know why it’s a thing on this new ship? Luckily I don’t get sick so the movement isn’t an issue, BUT I did come back to the room and the rocking put me to sleep! So now I have to rush to get ready for Rock Opera!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I’m no expert on ship engineering but I’m really surprised just how much movement can be felt on here today. We are really rockin and rollin. More surprising is the constant vibration. I don’t recall this from other choppy sailings and generally only notice vibrations when going in and out port. Anyone know why it’s a thing on this new ship? Luckily I don’t get sick so the movement isn’t an issue, BUT I did come back to the room and the rocking put me to sleep! So now I have to rush to get ready for Rock Opera!

Spring on the Pacific coast north of SF can be notoriously rough.  Waves are moving west to east so you'll feel a lot of that side to side motion.

I recall a few 2 day voyages from SF to Vancouver that would only be partially sold because the ship would dock in Vancouver around 10am rather than 7 am.  That was the schedule, the reality was we arrived a few hrs late both times and the outer decks were closed shortly after sailing under the golden gate.

For many,it was problematic because missed flights etc.  Now princess does these voyages with a port call in Victoria and makes them 3 days 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 10:55 PM, Astro Flyer said:

I don’t know if that’s only on Discovery but on all 4 formal nights during our 14 days onboard they were automatically delivered after we left for our 1700 dinner.

We received a plate of chocolates on formal nights. 

49 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

It's where you are.  We went a few years ago on the Emerald and it was the same waves crashing and lots of sea sick passengers.  We don't get seasick, thankfully. 

9 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

It's where you are.  We went a few years ago on the Emerald and it was the same waves crashing and lots of sea sick passengers.  We don't get seasick, thankfully. 

8 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Off the coast of Northern CA to Washington can be really really fun. 

Absolutely…I’ve spend months on Royal-class ships mostly wondering if we’re docked because it’s so smooth. ☺️ As you wrote it’s more about location (on the ship & on the sea) than about which ship. 👍

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Just now, Astro Flyer said:

Absolutely…I’ve spend months on Royal-class ships mostly wondering if we’re docked because it’s so smooth. ☺️ As you wrote it’s more about location than about which ship. 👍

We've gone north repositioning on the Royal, Emerald and Ruby.  All 3 times it was like a ducky in a bathtub. 

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2022 at 1:15 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

We didn't get one of these for the end of our cruise...I wonder why?

Just got luggage tags w/info for where to go. We do walk-off, so went to Pax Svcs & got it changed.

Were you going to Canada?  The last three times we've sailed, we didn't get this form either. Think of the manpower it takes to collect and go through them all. Not to mention the wasted paper, ink, etc. Much easier and streamlined process without it. If you need a different time, just swap out your tags. 

We’re really moving on the ocean … not the worst I’ve ever experienced but for a ship this size, I’m really surprised how much movement we can feel even midship and down low.  We are not feeling seasick but just so nice to stay in our cabin and order room service.